Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen, Most kids cheer for the face, right? Most adults cheer the heel. I'd say this is a fair observation.

Now, let's imagine for a second Cena turns heel in some huge way at a big PPV.

Are merchandise sales really going to drop? Merchandise sales on Cena gear will, but not merchandise as a whole.

Why? Because the kids that cheer Cena right now aren't going to magically stop watching and begging their parents to buy them merchandise the second Cena turns.

No no no.. Cena turning heel will indirectly help other young talent (that are face) get massively over with the younger audience.

The kids have to cheer someone... so if they can't cheer Cena then they will have no choice but to feel compelled to cheer someone else.

As long as Cena is face that's all the kids will care about.

Contrary to popular opinion, merchandise sales will NOT plummit, in fact if anything they would go up, since the older audience would be more apt to buy his stuff if he were heel, while the kids will support the new favorite.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
people cheer for faces
people boo heels. just how it works bro, i am one of the biggest fans of john cena becoming a heel but for right now i just dont think it could happen. Vince likes to tell The IWC to kiss his ass.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Its not only about the merchandise sales... there are lot of other things like "Make a wish" foundation , "be a star" campaign...

for all this babyface cena is needed.. you cant have bad guy do this good stuff!

You are heavily underestimating the starpower of john cena as a babyface.
6 - 10 year old kids look upto him. They cheer for him coz he is good guy portrayed as an underdog who will overcome the odds at the end of the show.

That is what they want.. they are not going to cheer for Heel cena as you said in your post. You are confused with adult/teenagers mentality to the Kids/children mentality.

Its not the same.

Although i think cena will turn heel at Wm 28 against the rock after the Match. He is big star and Wrestlemania is perfect.

There wont be another big opportunity for both Cena & WWE to make his heel turn matter to the fans.

Wm28 heel turn ... i am calling it (Y)(Y)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Who is the next big thing?
LOL at punk seriously love the guy but not him.

Cena keeps beating everyone up so who? Rey? common rey has maybe 5 years left in him if he goes easy on his knee which he wont

·
Registered
851 Posts
The arguement that merch sales will be bad if he goes heel isnt completely true. When Hogan became heel, NWO shirts sold like crazy.

·
Banned
43 Posts
The arguement that merch sales will be bad if he goes heel isnt completely true. When Hogan became heel, NWO shirts sold like crazy.
Two different generation of fans.

not the same thing!

I didn't say the kids will cheer Cena. I said they'll cheer the next big thing, which is who Cena should turn heel on.
So there you have a big problem .. who is the next big thing??

Punk will never be a favorite to the kids atleast not to the kids that like disney.

There is no one who can replace Cena as a babyface.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cena has been heel for the past 4 years. You just don't know it yet.

They will reveal that backstage he touches all the divas against their will. This will turn ADR face when he sticks up for the women's rights.

·
Santina's Lover
4,216 Posts

not the same thing!

Punk will never be a favorite to the kids atleast not to the kids that like disney.

Somebody needs to send Johnny Ace to Justin Bieber.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

not the same thing!

Actually it is the same thing. Kids and casual females made up the vast majority of WCW fans right around the same time Hogan turned heel. After the turn it was still made up of families with more "smarks" sprinkled in than before. Kids aren't that much different today than 1996.

And you don't really need a big time babyface right away. You can have enough time to build up new babyfaces to go against Cena, something they have yet to do. Make Punk more likeable instead of a whiny douchebag but at the same time build up a top face or 2 or 3.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
So who'll replace him?

Orton? Who is only comparable to Cena because of his finishing move.

Punk? That guy who sounds like a ten year old who only elitist smarks are getting sweaty for right now?

I'm a fan of both these guys, but neither of them can take on the role as top face right now. Cena's the only guy carrying the WWE today.

These comparisons to the NWO are interesting though, I can't think of any more heels in WWE who would be able to draw and sell as much as them or Cena through sheer bad-assness today.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
I hate even saying this, but I think The Miz will be the one to replace John Cena as the top babyface of the company down the line. Miz gets so much exposure outside of wrestling it's unreal. Yes, Cena is a big part of the Make A Wish Foundation, but that is something any WWE wrestler can do despite if their character is a huge draw, or not.

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I don't think the heel turn will work because what we see is probably what Cena really is..If he turns heel and tries to be something he's not, ppl will see right through it and not buy his heel run...I know he was a heel earlier in his career but so was Stone Cold..Some guys are just fit certain roles..Even more when that's who they really are

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
A heel like nWo Hogan selling tons of merch could definitely happen in this day and age too, if done right. It would make The Rock kind of Sting ala 1997, coming back to save the company. Don't see it happening though.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Actually it is the same thing. Kids and casual females made up the vast majority of WCW fans right around the same time Hogan turned heel. After the turn it was still made up of families with more "smarks" sprinkled in than before. Kids aren't that much different today than 1996.

And you don't really need a big time babyface right away. You can have enough time to build up new babyfaces to go against Cena, something they have yet to do. Make Punk more likeable instead of a whiny douchebag but at the same time build up a top face or 2 or 3.
It's not the same thing. WCW had an older fanbase compared to the WWF. Hulk Hogan wasn't working out as a face in WCW.

The other difference is there's no shock level to this anymore. When Hogan turned it was unheard of and it created a new interest in wrestling. You can't just recreate the past and expect the same results. Teenagers are into MMA. Wrestling is not going to be cool just because Cena turned heel. You run the risk of turning Cena heel, and losing out on your biggest golden egg. Kids aren't going to support Punk in any situation. He does nothing for them. Sitting indian style and ranting on the insides of the business is not entertaining to them.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I know I am going to get bashed for saying this. But the man who is going to replace John Cena as a kid favorite is still currently being seasoned for that role.

His name is Kofi Kingston. I would be surprised if Kofi isn't a hot commodity by Wrestlemania XXX.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts