Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could he pull this off, and would the WWE dare change his image? I'm not talking about a heel turn because that's out of the question. However, perhaps a critical change of his appearance. We always see John Cena with a clean cut, and nearly "Marine" type appearance. How about a beard, and a little bit of some hair on the head. I'm not talking Daniel Bryan beard, but something along HHH, or Chuck Norris thickness. Give him more of an adult look, and not some young soldier look. Dare I mention that he should wear tights. I think he should continue to come down in shorts, and t-shirt with ball cap as his ring entrance attire. Undress only to reveal wrestling trunks, and have his wrestling boots already on.

I think Cena could really pull off the simple look. Think of Antonio Cesaro as an example. Not to say that Cesaro is over, but I'm talking merely in just his ring attire being simple. Austin had all black trunks, boots, and many others have had a simple look going while still remaining the top guy. Wrestling in shorts, and basketball shoes is such a disgrace to the business in my opinion. He can still sell his t-shirts, and other merchandise as well. It's not like he wouldn't wear his own product down to the ring, but he would later throw his shirt like he normally does, and put his shorts ringside.

Bottom line is Cena doesn't look intimidating in shorts, and basketball shoes. He is a big guy, and I think he could come off as more legit by wrestling in actual wrestling trunks, and wrestling boots. I think changing his appearance could be a huge positive for him especially since that doesn't include a heel turn. All that is happening is Cena maturing, and taking on a real wrestling look of a WWE champion. If he isn't going to turn heel, then the WWE should at least consider changing his appearance without taking away his merchandise sales. The jean shorts, and pumps don't define his character. Those two things make his stale in appearance because it's been the same look for a decade. He doesn't "free style" anymore, so why keep the image?

·
Banned
859 Posts

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
It would be good if he changes his look somewhat but I doubt it. They've established his look and have played around with different colors for extra merchandise money for so long they probably don't want to stop. I fully expect Cena to show up in the same gear but this time fuckin' grey or something. I also think he can't grow a beard well so that hinders the possibility of a new look. I just wish they would try something new with him but you just know it'll be the same old shit again.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did hulk hogan looked intimidating to you?
I actually have seen Hulk Hogan on a non-personal level half a dozen times, or so. When he was on steroids in the 80's he was very intimidating looking, but for kids I would bet he was awesome because he was always jacked up with the colors red, and yellow like Foghorn Leghorn. It still worked. Kids are still no different today.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be good if he changes his look somewhat but I doubt it. They've established his look and have played around with different colors for extra merchandise money for so long they probably don't want to stop. I fully expect Cena to show up in the same gear but this time fuckin' grey or something. I also think he can't grow a beard well so that hinders the possibility of a new look. I just wish they would try something new with him but you just know it'll be the same old shit again.
How about a track suit, or basketball warm up suit? With wrestling trunks underneath? Kind of like a LeBron James look, or simple sports star look?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
did hulk hogan looked intimidating to you?
Different era, son. That shit was "cool" back then, but since the 80's we've been teased with the delights of the Attitude Era and trust me when I say it sure as shit isn't cool now. Cena needs to change his whole gimmick, but that doesn't necessarily mean turning heel.

The gay superhero shtick is passé and is incredibly irrelevant in modern day society. All you have to do is look at comic books and you'll understand what I mean...

This guy is currently one of, if not the, most popular characters today. This is the type of shit people want to see, not Superman:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Well he should grow beard, change his ring attire, or something, but it would be weird seeing him with beard lol...

I fully expect Cena to show up in the same gear but this time fuckin' grey or something.
lol

·
CHAIRMAN of WF
2,528 Posts

Bearded Cena > > Chain Gang Cena > > Hustle Loyalty Respect Cena > > Rise Above Hate Cena > > Current/Never Give Up Cena > > Rise Above Cancer Cena.

Bearded Cena will definitely be the most powerful incarnation of Cena ever. If Current Cena could beat The Rock, then Bearded Cena could beat 98's Austin, Triple H, 80's Hogan, 00's Rock and 96's HBK all in the same night. :cena3

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they really wanted to market him they could do it per city, and state with his attire. Lets say WWE is in Boston, have Cena wear the colors of Celtics, Red Sox, or Patriots? If he is in a hot crowd that doesn't like him have him taunt that city on occasion like Chicago with Packers colors, or if he is in Philly come out supporting The Giants. You kids would buy that shit up. The WWE would have to be careful about copyright infringement, and go about selling Cena's merchandise accordingly. Have his attire cater to the cities he visits every year.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
Cena has the best look on the roster. I mean, first of all, the guy is a bus. If you wouldn't find him on some level, intimidating, you must be a pretty big fella.

And yeah, you know what we need more of? Guys in generic trunks. Nah, I'm sick to death of the trunks/boots combo. Everyone crapped on Ryback's attire because it was so odd for a powerhouse but I actually thought it was refreshing and interesting.

Same with Cena. For one, he doesn't even wear "basketball shoes". He wears Pumas, sometimes Reeboks, which are running/athletic shoes. He has the ankle socks and the cargo shorts which, believe it or not, is a combo that's pretty fashionable right now.

His look is perfect the way it is. It's athletic w/o the awkward spandex or w/e the tights are made out of, and more importantly, it's unique. And I think most people would agree that it's a helluva lot more rugged/manly/rough looking than tights.

In fact, more guys should do what Cena does for the sake or more interesting visuals. Good on Mojo Rawley for wearing Zubaz pants.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Cena is the quintessential company-man, a rough or rugged look would contradict that tremendously. I'm not even sure how well it would work considering how little evidence there is to support this idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts