Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the excitement from Wrestlemania XXVIII has cooled off and I have a clear head, I am now trying to figure out what Rock winning at Wrestlemania accomplished. Some people say that The Rock won because he needed his Wrestlemania moment (he never won the main event of Mania until this year), or that having Cena lose would give him "character developmen t" aka turn heel in smarkanese (not that it is needed), or to send the fans home happy.

Even as a Cena fan I can understand why the older fans were so happy to see The Rock beat him. But at the same time, I am alot like Vince Mcmahon in the fact that I am a long term thinker, which makes me even more shocked that he would have Rock go over. If Cena lost to a legend like the Undertaker, HHH, or a returning HBK it would be more understandable because these are men that would have stayed around long enough after Mania on a full time basis and Cena would have eventually got his redemption. Anything Rock does after this is not going to top his year long feud with Cena, not even a rematch (which would ruin the whole "Once in a Lifetime" moniker and making it less special). If you feud Rock with anybody else it will not have the level of heat that his feud with Cena had. Even a WWE title reign is not going to do anything but stroke Dwayne's penis. A feud with Lesnar does not make sense. A feud with Punk would seem pretty lame due to the fact that CM Punk does not have any motive when it comes to The Rock and the novelty of his worked shoots wore off during his feud with HHH last fall. Rock would have been pretty well off just losing to Cena and going away until the 2013 Hall of Fame Ceremony. He still would have gotten a fat Mania check, on last time in the spotlight, and he is a permanent movie star now anyway.

The loss did not hurt Cena, as a matter of fact I would have been okay with Cena losing if the feud did not end at Wrestlemania and The Rock actually stayed around longer. I know they may be keeping him off TV to keep him from getting stale (his returns would be anticlimactic like Austin's if he came back too much), but it really doesn't do the current product any justice. I am not bashing Rock (loved him during the AE and only the AE), I am just bashing the way the feud ended. In my opinion it benefits the WWE long term if Cena won. How am I going to believe that Cena can be a threat to the streak when he just got owned by a past his prime (in terms of his era) former wrestler turned full time actor on the grandest stage of the industry?

The Rock is the most electrifying man in ALL of entertainment, that is damn true.
That does not justify having him beat the current face of the WWE (whether you like it or not) in their one and only match. I like Rock, but as a wrestling fan I care more about the WWE than I do Hollywood.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Rematch next year in the shadow of New York City. Spoiler: Cena wins.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Yeah, I really think there will be a re match. Nice to see someone who Cena can't overcome, I didn't think Rock would win, but I was shocked that he did. Brock was suppose to be the follow up to Cena's new development, but something happened there...

·
19,155 Posts
They keep alluding to Undertaker in promo after promo involving Lesnar. I think Lesnar/Taker and Rock/Cena II is the plan for WM 29.

Cena/Taker is almost surely being saved for WM 30.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Cena vs Taker is pretty damn big tbh. If they can push it to Mania 30, then by all means, but if the hand has to be forced, then be as kind as to try and deliver.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Now that the excitement from Wrestlemania XXVIII has cooled off and I have a clear head, I am now trying to figure out what Rock winning at Wrestlemania accomplished. Some people say that The Rock won because he needed his Wrestlemania moment (he never won the main event of Mania until this year), or that having Cena lose would give him "character developmen t" aka turn heel in smarkanese (not that it is needed), or to send the fans home happy.

Even as a Cena fan I can understand why the older fans were so happy to see The Rock beat him. But at the same time, I am alot like Vince Mcmahon in the fact that I am a long term thinker, which makes me even more shocked that he would have Rock go over. If Cena lost to a legend like the Undertaker, HHH, or a returning HBK it would be more understandable because these are men that would have stayed around long enough after Mania on a full time basis and Cena would have eventually got his redemption. Anything Rock does after this is not going to top his year long feud with Cena, not even a rematch (which would ruin the whole "Once in a Lifetime" moniker and making it less special). If you feud Rock with anybody else it will not have the level of heat that his feud with Cena had. Even a WWE title reign is not going to do anything but stroke Dwayne's penis. A feud with Lesnar does not make sense. A feud with Punk would seem pretty lame due to the fact that CM Punk does not have any motive when it comes to The Rock and the novelty of his worked shoots wore off during his feud with HHH last fall. Rock would have been pretty well off just losing to Cena and going away until the 2013 Hall of Fame Ceremony. He still would have gotten a fat Mania check, on last time in the spotlight, and he is a permanent movie star now anyway.

The loss did not hurt Cena, as a matter of fact I would have been okay with Cena losing if the feud did not end at Wrestlemania and The Rock actually stayed around longer. I know they may be keeping him off TV to keep him from getting stale (his returns would be anticlimactic like Austin's if he came back too much), but it really doesn't do the current product any justice. I am not bashing Rock (loved him during the AE and only the AE), I am just bashing the way the feud ended. In my opinion it benefits the WWE long term if Cena won. How am I going to believe that Cena can be a threat to the streak when he just got owned by a past his prime (in terms of his era) former wrestler turned full time actor on the grandest stage of the industry?

The Rock is the most electrifying man in ALL of entertainment, that is damn true.
That does not justify having him beat the current face of the WWE (whether you like it or not) in their one and only match. I like Rock, but as a wrestling fan I care more about the WWE than I do Hollywood.
Agree with all that your saying

As each Raw/PPV goes by the decision to have The Rock beat Cena is getting more and more confusing, wether or not these feuds with Brock/Johnny and possibly now the Big Show are just filler feuds for the next time The Rock comes back so they can have there rematch I don't know

Another theory is that simply The Rock demanded he beat Cena at Wrestlemania as part of the agreement that he came back and wrestled a match but like I say that is only a theory and one that I'm unsure about

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
I think The Rock needed to win just for the sake that the match was in Miami. I'm sure the WWE wanted to send the fans home happy and Cena, for that match at least, was the bad guy.

However I'm sure there will be a rematch somewhere down the line because there are still a lot of questions left to be answered.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Rock's win was just a feel good moment for the fans who still think it's cool to boo Cena.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Rock's win was what the majority wanted and WWE gave those people what they wanted to see. The monster pop at the end shows that. It doesn't need to be analyzed further than that. There was not going to be any story progression, no torch passing, none of that. It was just a straight up clash between Rock & Cena. Just be happy that Cena finally got to have the match he was crying about for years. Time to move on and get over it.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
The Rock won because the majority of the fans wanted him to win. Sure there were some saying that he needed to pass the torch but what matters is the fact that the people Miami were cheering as the show went off the air instead of booing or throwing trash in the ring. The monster pop he got and people hugging and shit after he won shows that.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The rock was always going to win. The worse thing they could do is have a rematch I mean once in a life time...... 2 is just ridiculous.

Cena should lose to taker at mania and rock should go in the HOF in 2013 and never wrestle again

·
Banned
3,134 Posts

Let me make this VERY, VERY simple for you. Not sure how old you are..not sure how many times you have to be told this in who knows how many different ways but believe it or not, people didn't race to buy WM 28 to see John Cena and damn sure to see him beat one of the most loved stars ever. No...they raced to break records because the Rock returned. They bought the PPV because the Rock was in the main event. They booed out Cena AGAIN because he's an overrated, overpushed pretender to the throne that fans will never take serious on that level. Was that not more evident than last night when he was doing his Rock imitation during a sorry main event with Johnny L? Rock used to face those type of guys too but the fans were 100% into it..go look up Rock vs Shane McMahon after he was reinstated from suspension during the Invasion storyline.

The Rock is the biggest draw in pro wrestling today. There is no need for justification..be happy you saw an all time great come back and not disown this pretense of a industry that he was raised in. They did EVERYTHING in their power to vilify the Rock this year...endless Make a Wish foundation commercials...showing him on the red carpet instead of training....having every star on their roster put him over in packages...CM Punk being his little right hand cheerleader last year to keep attention on himself because the Rock's name was red hot...all of that shit. Cena had to lose at WM 28 because he's not good enough or respectable enough to beat the man who is carrying the industry on his back and doing it in just a part time role, mind you. True greatness. Not the kind that the WWE has to tell you over and over and over again like that fetish you have for that idiot in the green shirt every week.

[email protected] the kids and girls crying after the Rock pinned this sap. Hooray at all the celebrations by the grown men and REAL fans that still carry the business week in and week out with their support. It's night and day.

Rematch next year in the shadow of New York City. Spoiler: Cena wins.
Nope....if the Rock wants to face Brock Lesnar, the Rock is gonna face Brock Lesnar.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Cena should have won, but only by a heel turn. A clean Cena victory would be flushing all this build-up down the toilet. Not to mention, fans would have just felt ripped off. Most of the audience paid to see The Rock whip Cena's (the adult male's biggest nemesis) ass and that's what they got. Just listen to the pop. Plus, all the outsiders that came would have been shocked and WWE would have looked bad in front of others when their face of the company wins and gets so much backlash that possible riots could have happened.

I don't see the problem with Cena for once NOT overcoming the odds and stand tall at the end of a feud. Every single time he's "lost" a feud, it's been because somebody has interfered and moved the focus. (Big Show with Edge at Backlash 09, Nexus with Sheamus at MITB 10, Awesome Truth with Alberto del Rio at Vengeance 11) This time he actually lost clean and it was left at that!

Unless they want to turn Cena heel, I DON'T want to see Rock/Cena II just so Cena can get his obligatory "return win".

·
Banned
2,092 Posts
Rock's win was what the majority wanted and WWE gave those people what they wanted to see. The monster pop at the end shows that. It doesn't need to be analyzed further than that. There was not going to be any story progression, no torch passing, none of that. It was just a straight up clash between Rock & Cena. Just be happy that Cena finally got to have the match he was crying about for years. Time to move on and get over it.

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts
I wanted Cena to win, figured he could turn heel by doing so. I wasn't mad he lost, figured he would turn heel the next night on RAW. I wanted him to beat Lesnar, figured Lesnar would destroy him the next night on RAW and take him off TV. I wanted Big Johnny to beat Cena, figured Batista would return, take out Cena and set up Cena/Batista for SummerSlam.

None of this happened and it all goes back to the very first occurrence. Cena is roaming around like a lost puppy. WWE is scared to do anything with his character that fans might accept or shit on, either way it would be something different.

The fact that they let Rock go over Cena but Cena go over Brock shows how highly they think of Rock. And thru it all, we still only have Cena on a weekly basis. He lost all the way around. People still hate him, he's booked in shitty angles and WWE won't let him take time off.

You people complain about Cena going over too much, I think WWE in the past 5 months, has made their top guy look like an inferior bitch.

·
19,155 Posts
Unless they want to turn Cena heel, I DON'T want to see Rock/Cena II just so Cena can get his obligatory "return win".
I actually agree. If they're going to do a damned rematch, a Cena heel turn accompanied with his "win" is a necessity. But it's almost a necessity for WWE at this stage anyway. Otherwise, we will continue to be stuck in this ember of babyface Cena singlehandedly dominating the entire product.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
It was Rock's first singles match in 8 years, at Wrestlemania in his hometown. He had to win or the biggest show of the year would have gone off air with stuff being thrown into the ring and to the sound of nothing but boos directed at the face of the company

1 - 20 of 25 Posts