Wrestling Forum banner

Better build/Storyline? Cena/Rock or Cena/Lesnar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which build up/storyline did you enjoy more? I realize tonight is the match for Cena/Lesnar so hype will be higher but its possible that some folks have not been enjoying the build. Also, no need to ask which match was better for the same reason. (Though this will most likely end up being a brawl than an actual wrestling bout)

To me, WWE butchered the Cena/Rock storyline big time IMO. All the things Cena was saying about Rock would have been better suited towards Lesnar. As he is a heel and doesn't care, he actually embraces that stuff about not caring, only doing it for money etc.. With Rock, it was out of place. So as a face, he was trying to defend himself. If he was Hollywood Rock, then it would have been pretty damn amazing. I would have much preferred WWE do something different for Rock & Cena. I liked the whole Rock needs to beat Cena to solidify himself as the best thing. As he beat Austin & Hogan etc. As well as Cena needing to beat Rock because everything was on the line etc. Its a shame that WWE spent most of the year and build with fruity pebbles, Twitter, silly jokes, Im here all the time hes not, please love me, crap. And then at the last minute started to bring out those arguments. Then again, a year worth build is not easy to pull off without being repetitive.

With Cena/Lesnar its direct and to the point. Intense and physical. And the storyline fits better. It helps that there is only 3-4 weeks of hype too.

Personally, Im equally excited. As these are two of my favorite bouts

·
Banned
7,681 Posts
I was more excited for Rock/Cena. Mostly because it was Rocky's first full match back in 8 years. The build up could of been a hell of a lot better, but they spent so much time trying to get a 50/50 reaction and it was a waste of time. But as you say, it's pretty damn hard to build a feud for a year without it being repetitive. But I was damn excited for the match.

I'm looking forward to the match tonight with Brock and Cena. The build up as been good and I don't think it's going to be much of a wrestling match, but either is many matches tonight. Brock has to win this. imo.

·
Ceramic Wizard Bong
3,993 Posts
Cena/Lesnar.

Love the Rock and enjoyed the match and some of the build but the first 2 weeks of this feud was more exciting than every Rock appearance (bar his first return).
As op said simple direct booking, in fact the way they've done is exactly how id imagine Paul Heyman would've booked it, an f-5, a slap and a bloody mouth.
The first few weeks of the Rock/cena build this year just seemed like so many missed oppurtunities.

·
Banned
882 Posts
Fuck em both, neither feud was great. One was overhyped and didnt live up to the expectations, and this next one hasnt been great at all. I will simply wait for the better dream matches both men will have.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Lesnar/Cena is big, Rock/Cena is one of the most iconic matches in the history of the business in a record breaking PPV, the biggest money show in the history of wrestling with huge mainstream attention, that was probably the most mainstream WM since the AE, even more than Trump, people were talking about Rock/Cena everywhere. No contest. Still can't wait for Lesnar's return match.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Cena vs. Rock.

A year of hype, it's own theme, unpredictable, was must-win for Cena, comparable to Hogan/Rock, Austin/Rock, Hogan/Andre etc I can go on.

Brock though. Whoever wins its business as usual on RAW, different name or not. Hype for rematch or new Lesnar feud begins.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I thought the Rock/Cena angle was great during the build for Cena/Miz at Mania 27. They had some great promos from Febuary 2011 to April 2011. After that feud was still pretty good but it fell flat during the build to 28.

As for Brock/Cena i'm really interested just because it's something fresh and I could realistically see a character change for Cena. I'm not giving WWE too much credit for this because they rushed the feud and kind of took the piss out of the feud during the contract signing. With that said, the brawl, Lesnar sit-down interview, and Edge/Cena segment added a whole lot to the feud. If only they saved it for the June/July PPV or preferably Summerslam.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Rock vs John Cena was more excitting, but the buid up was so boring. One year of nothing.

Cena vs Brock Lesnar had a perfect build up(well, not perfect, because perfect was The Rock vs Austin WM17)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Cena-Could have been better but it was a bigger match,1 year build it was like they called it ''once in a lifetime''

so im going with Rock-shitboy

Got to say i cant wait for Lesnar to kick cenas ass

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I am enjoying both and the main, if not sole, reason I'm tuning in for both Wrestlemania and Extreme Rules is just these two feuds. Most other stuff are very unimportant to me.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Well i'm not overly excited for tonight, i am, but nowhere near Rock/Cena levels.

Yet the buildup has been more enjoyable. With Rock/Cena it was almost a chore to sit through some promos, after waiting for so long to get there, to listen to some of the arguments, expecting so much more. Much of it was a letdown in the end but i was still hooked on every word and couldn't wait for the next chapter.

This program has came almost out the blue and hit the point home with more direction and precision. There is an intensity and edge that Rock/Cene never had. It is more pleasing to watch, but can't come close to the drama and anticipation. There were conflicting outcomes, emotions, and possibilities on the table, whereas this seems much more straight-forward, and also one-sided in terms of balance.

It seems a forgone conclusion Brock would always get the upperhand each time and come out dominant by the end. Rock was given slim odds and that gave it an unpredictable element, which played into the fact Cena shouuldn't be going over without some form of turn to do it.

TL;DR- This feud is the total opposite in many ways, more enjoyable but nowhere near as exciting.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i'm not overly excited for tonight, i am, but nowhere near Rock/Cena levels.

Yet the buildup has been more enjoyable. With Rock/Cena it was almost a chore to sit through some promos, after waiting for so long to get there, to listen to some of the arguments, expecting so much more. Much of it was a letdown in the end but i was still hooked on every word and couldn't wait for the next chapter.

This program has came almost out the blue and hit the point home with more direction and precision. There is an intensity and edge that Rock/Cene never had. It is more pleasing to watch, but can't come close to the drama and anticipation. There were conflicting outcomes, emotions, and possibilities on the table, whereas this seems much more straight-forward, and also one-sided in terms of balance.

It seems a forgone conclusion Brock would always get the upperhand each time and come out dominant by the end. Rock was given slim odds and that gave it an unpredictable element, which played into the fact Cena shouuldn't be going over without some form of turn to do it.

TL;DR- This feud is the total opposite in many ways, more enjoyable but nowhere near as exciting.
True. I think Rock/Cena being a spectacle made it a huge deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts