Wrestling Forum banner

Cena/Orton/Triple H at WrestleMania 24

6983 27
I am watching the re-run of Raw from last Monday on Sky Sports 2 at the moment and just saw the match between Triple H and Kane from a couple of weeks before WrestleMania 24 which if memory serves me right was part of the "Pick Your Poison" matches or "WrestleMania Rewind" matches and it got me to thinking on exactly why Triple H ws involved in the WWE title feud and match going into WrestleMania 24 at all. Obviously John Cena had just returned at The Royal Rumble which was one of the biggest shocks we had seen in WWE for a very long time so he was still very hot going into WrestleMania and Randy Orton was just starting to pick up the pace.

Surely it would hav been much better for both John Cena and Randy Orton to go into WrestleMania 24 for the WWE title in a one on one feud and match seeing how John Cena had just won The Royal Rumble and Randy Orton needed to be in a major one on one feud to cement him back in the main event scene again after a couple years of basically doing nothing. Once Triple H had become involved he took all of the focus for the feud and Randy Orton basically became forgotten about despite being WWE champion whilst John Cena was even forced to take a supporting role despite being the one who had just made the HUGE comeback.

Without looking back on who was on the roster back in 2008 i couldn't suggest who else Triple H could have feuded with and wrestled at WrestleMania 24 but i am sure there would have been two or three people that could have been given the match with Triple H on the biggest stage of all and who would have got a big run from it. I would have much prefered to have seen Triple H face JBL at WrestleMania 24 rather than Finlay/JBL seeing how Finlay and JBL somehow came about because of a feud between Finlay and Vince McMahon over Hornsoggle being his son.

If WWE wanted to put the WWE title on Triple H later on then they could have just done exactly what they did with the Fatal Four Way match at Backlash with Triple H, John Cena, Randy Orton and JBL and had Triple H win thus starting Triple H and Randy Orton whilst at the same time starting John Cena and JBL at the same time which is very simple booking. For me the WWE title match and feud going into WrestleMania 24 was ruined because it was all about Triple H rather than John Cena who won The Royal Rumble or Randy Orton who was the WWE champion which just made no sense at all to me and still doesn't to this day.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,352 Posts
I love Triple H, but that match should have been Orton vs Cena and it should have gone last! Triple H could have faced JBL, Hardy, or even Jericho if they got desperate. IMO, Cena beats Orton for the strap at Wrestlemania 24, and Triple H takes the strap to Smackdown by beating Cena at Night of Champions 2008.

· Registered
2,379 Posts
How about Batista vs. Triple H at WrestleMania 24? It could of been that Smackdown vs. Raw match only with Triple H instead of Umaga. They could of also added another stipulation where the winner becomes number 1 contender to their respective brands world champion.

I still remember being oh so relieved when Cena returned at the Rumble. I was dreading Triple H/Orton at Mania (I guess I was right to considering how bad their match at WM25 was) and when Cena won the Rumble, it took Triple H out of the main event, or so I thought...

· Registered
363 Posts
I liked the Orton vs. Cena vs. HHH wrestlemania 24 match for the WWE Championship
it was nice to see the Champ retain instead of losing the belt for the 2nd year in a Row.
I accually watched Orton vs. Cena vs. HHH a month ago and it was a nice match not the best
but it was good.

· WWWYKI
1,190 Posts
Wasnt there something like a number one contenders match at the Chamber, and HHH won. Earlier in the night Cena cashed in his Royal Rumble winning shot in against Orton or something like that?
Then Cena got added to make it a triple threat?

· Registered
2,379 Posts
Wasnt there something like a number one contenders match at the Chamber, and HHH won. Earlier in the night Cena cashed in his Royal Rumble winning shot in against Orton or something like that?
Then Cena got added to make it a triple threat?
Yup. I believe Cena beat Orton on Raw with Triple H as the special guest referee to be added to the match.

· Banned
19,104 Posts
Hunter just couldn't stay out of the title picture. Hell, I'm still shocked he wasn't either title match for WM last year. The triple threat was mediocre at best, but at least Randy Orton got his Wrestlemania moment, which was one of many favorite shockers since everybody thought Cena or Hunter were winning that night.

- Vic

· Registered
357 Posts
Yup. I believe Cena beat Orton on Raw with Triple H as the special guest referee to be added to the match.
Yeah that's how it happened. Triple H reffed the match clean and counted Cena to a 1,2,3 victory before giving the pedigree to both him and Orton.

I thought the match at Mania was good but just too short for my liking.

· Registered
4,724 Posts
For me the WWE title match and feud going into WrestleMania 24 was ruined because it was all about Triple H rather than John Cena who won The Royal Rumble or Randy Orton who was the WWE champion which just made no sense at all to me and still doesn't to this day.
Are you actually shocked about this? Come on, it's always "All About the Game", and that's not just a theme song. Even Undertaker's return was "All about the game".

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you actually shocked about this? Come on, it's always "All About the Game", and that's not just a theme song. Even Undertaker's return was "All about the game".
Well 99 times out of 100 i wouldn't ne surprised by Triple H involved in the WWE title match at WrestleMania but this time round it was Randy Orton as WWE champion and who WWE wer starting to build up again and John Cena who was and still is the biggest star in wrestling. Surely that would qualify Cena/Orton to be a straight singles match between the two men who it is known Vince McMahon plans his future of the company around and who have become the two main focuses of Raw whilst Triple H has been away from wrestling.

· Registered
1,931 Posts
I actually disagree with this. First off, Cena's return at RR '08 was one of the most shocking moments in WWE history, and he did beat HHH to win. He decided to cash in his shot and No Way Out and won...by dq. HHH won the EC match and and then Cena beat Orton to get the right to be in the match.

What I always thought was funny about the feud was that they built it up that 1) Cena had never lost the title Orton was carrying 2) he made his shocking return to win the RR 3)now he was the challenger 4) HHH had missed last year's WM.

The entire feud was really John Cena vs. Triple H for Randy Orton's WWE Title. Because Orton was getting ignored, all signs pointed to him retaining, but I didn't think they'd actually go it. I figured they'd just pick a side.

The match is a lot of fun and I think it put Orton over huge because now he beat John Cena and Triple H in the same match. Doesn't get much bigger than that. I just wish it wasn't HHH who had gotten the clean pin on Cena. That always bothered me.

They could have gone in a few directions for WM XXIV:

John Cena wins the WWE Title at NWO and we get Cena/Orton II at WM XXIV, while Randy Orton feuds with Batista.

Orton HHH wins the RR '08, Cena comes back the next night, and get Orton defending the WWE Title against HHH and going over CLEANLY. That's the only way I would have been okay with Orton/HHH again, if they finally gave Orton his due. And as the grudge match have Cena vs. Batista for the first time ever. Or just reverse it and have HHH/Orton be the grudge feud and Cena/Batista for the title. Either would have worked, but I'm glad with what they did. Only problem is it stuck Batista playing goon for SD in a poor feud and worse match with Umaga.

· Registered
549 Posts
I barely remember that match. I'll have to watch it again. I do remember whining on why Cena was pinned though. Hunter should have been the one who was pinned. I'm not a Cena mark, it just made sense for Hunter to take the fall.

· Registered
10,291 Posts
I would have preffered Cena vs Orton, one on one, with the backstory of how Orton was the one who took him out(it was really Kennedy but whatevs) and how Orton had tormented his family kicking his dad in the skull and all, and how he was awarded the WWE Championship after Cena couldn't defend it, this seemed like a big time match. It was actually a fresh feud at the time, I believe the Summerslam 2007 match they had was their first PPV encounter, before that I think they only time they ever faced each other one on one was the Eddie tribute show.

With Cena making a triumphant return at the Royal Rumble and winning it, and Orton cleanly beating the new hottest thing in the WWE at the time Jeff Hardy, it seemed that these two were destined to main event WM24 in an epic clash. The feud called for it, the story called for it, and the fans wanted to see it, but HHH put a stop to that.

The only reason they added HHH to that match was because he was feuding with Orton, and because the WWE title match for WM23 was supposed to be HHH vs Cena, so they decided to throw them all in there together.

· Recognize
21,327 Posts
All 3 guys had history going into that match and they could have went for any combination of the 2 be it Orton/Cena, HHH/Orton or Cena/HHH. Orton/Cena had the story that has already been mentioned going on. HHH/Orton had history from Evolution not to mention what happened at No Mercy 07. And Cena/HHH had history from Mania 22 and the Rumble itself. Besides, all signs point to Cena being the odd man out imo because at Backlash he disappeared from the feud and it became all about Orton/HHH.

So they just decided to chuck the 3 of them in together without really building on any of these issues which would have made it much better. Instead what we got was alright but it wasn't anything special. And part of me is actually glad that Orton/Cena didn't happen because it would no way in hell be as big as it is going to be when we do finally get the Mania match between the pair in a few years. Orton is hardly a blip on the radar nowadays but back then he wasn't even giving out a signal.

But of course the logical answer is always that Trips booked himself into the match to try hold everybody back as usual. :rolleyes:

· Registered
188 Posts
To me the triple threat match was shit, it ended too quickly for me. But Randy Orton winning was one of the best decisions WWE made this decade, b/c it cemented Randy as one of the tops in the WWE.

· Registered
2,515 Posts
Honestly though, we had already seen Orton/Cena before that. Why would you want that as a big WM main event, when their previous matches werent all that great. I know we have seen HHH/Taker at Mania before (referring to this years WM match) but thats a different story. That match was 10 years ago and it was a classic.

Orton/Cena's first batch of matches were not really classics. So, how do we make the feud more interesting? Add somebody else. Who do you add? Might as well be one of the most over faces at the time, HHH.

I love how HHH didnt even win the match and people still shit all over him. If anything, it should be "why was cena added to the match when he wasted his RR match at NWO?" HHH had earned (kayfabe) the title shot at mania and Cena had to (again, kayfabe) weasle his way into the match. That is what annoyed me even more.

· Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,603 Posts
This has got to be the most annoying booking ever. Has agitated me over the years.

Adding HHH made absolute no sense. His story going in was that 'he didn't get to compete in last years wrestlemania, which means I got to win the title this year'.

Cena made the biggest shocking return in recent wwe history and it was damn remarkable how fast he recovered from his pectoral tear(an injury that Christian is still recovering now). That was all eclipsed when he lost at NWO and in comes Triple "i need title" H.

Not only did The Orton/Cena feud not conclude, they held that up for over a year in a half before they picked it back up when it lost all steam.

As for the question, HHH should have fought Batista in the brand supremacy as faces. Umaga could have been placed in the MITB match replacing Jeff hardy.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly though, we had already seen Orton/Cena before that. Why would you want that as a big WM main event, when their previous matches werent all that great. I know we have seen HHH/Taker at Mania before (referring to this years WM match) but thats a different story. That match was 10 years ago and it was a classic.

Orton/Cena's first batch of matches were not really classics. So, how do we make the feud more interesting? Add somebody else. Who do you add? Might as well be one of the most over faces at the time, HHH.

I love how HHH didnt even win the match and people still shit all over him. If anything, it should be "why was cena added to the match when he wasted his RR match at NWO?" HHH had earned (kayfabe) the title shot at mania and Cena had to (again, kayfabe) weasle his way into the match. That is what annoyed me even more.
We had only ever seen John Cena and Randy Orton once before that which was the feud that was happening when John Cena got injured whereas we had seen Triple H and Randy Orton in 2004, 2005, 2006 in D-Generation X and Rated RKO and then again in 2007 once John Cena was injured and none of their matches were good either. John Cena and Randy Orton going into WrestleMania 24 as a one on one feud was about as fresh as it could get in WWE because their only feud before was from SummerSlam through to a week before No Mercy and they had never finished it because of injury.

I was not bashing Triple H as such but why he was involved in the feud because there was no need to add him at all seeing how John Cena was the biggest star in the company and had just made his HUGE return which no one saw coming and that WWE were trying to build Randy Orton back up. As i said earlier in my opening post a win over John Cena at WrestleMania 24 in a one on one match would have done much more for Randy Orton than having him win in a Triple Threat in which he was forgotten about for most of the feud and made to look as if he stole the win to retain the WWE title.

As i said also in my opening post if they had wanted to put the WWE title on Triple H they could have stayed with the plan for the Fatal Four Way match at Backlash with John Cena, Randy Orton, Triple H and JBL and which could have ended the feud between John Cena and Randy Orton and saw the start of Triple H and Randy Orton as well which is very simple and logical booking. The fact is that Cena/Orton from 2007 never actually finished because of John Cena's injury so it made perfect sense once John Cena returned at The Royal Rumble and won the match to face Randy Orton in a one on one match to further their feud and then they could have ended it at Backlash.

I hated both of Batista/Umaga and Finlay/JBL at WrestleMania 24 because neither match really made any sense and basically came from nowhere whereas Triple H could have restarted his feud with Umaga or had a fresh feud that had been teased in 2005 against JBL which much like how Cena/Orton could have been could have gone through WrestleMania 24 and then ended at Backlash. Surely Cena/Orton and Triple H/JBL would have been better choices and then they could have swapped the feuds over and then gone with Cena/JBL and Triple H/Orton from Backlash onwards and which after going over John Cena at WrestleMania 24 would have made Randy Orton look so much stronger going into a feud with Triple H after Backlash.

· Premium Member
46,600 Posts
Thankfully that 3 way didn't get the closing spot or it would have bombed. No way in hell it could have followed Taker/Edge & Flair/Michaels. But for its placement on the card (which was almost a buffer between the big matches), it worked fine.

As for the argument that it should have been Cena/Orton one on one, well that's Triple H for ya. How many times has he been placed in a main event he shouldn't have been or ruined main events by making himself look like a God?

The one that always pissed me off was in 2006. Edge becomes the hottest character in the biz and gets shoved aside so the King of Kings can go back on his throne. That was horseshit of 10 different colors. And if we got back to Mania 21, I've heard reports that Cena/JBL was watered down just so it wouldn't take away from HHH/Batista. If you have to deliberately tone down other big matches just to make the main event look good, amybe that match shouldn't be the main event. Just sayin'. And the only reason he didn't get the World Title spot with Cena at 23 was because he got hurt in January. Had God not struck him down, Triple H would have gotten another one and can anybody honestly say they were dying for a Cena/HHH rematch? Hell I didn't even want it the first time! XXV, he basically squashed Orton in that disaster of a match where Orton was the hotter character that, in my opinion, should have gone over! Triple H Pedigreed a corpse when that was all said and done. And then X-8? Again, Triple H is in a position to pick, choose, & write his own programs, and his idea is for Jericho & Steph to be "business partners" (not the more interesting idea of, you know, fucking each other) and Jericho builds his heat by running over his dog. Wow, really? I can still hear it like it was yesterday: "LUCY!" lol. Of course by the time Mania rolled around, all you could hear was crickets for that match. Again, the excuse is they couldn't follow Hogan/Rock. WELL, then you shouldn't be the goddamn closer...motherfucker.

So yeah, I'd say the match at XXIV was one of his lesser offenses actually. Maybe he shouldn't have been in that match. Maybe he should have taken the pin in that match. Who knows? But trust me, Trips has committed for more heinous sins towards Wrestlemania.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.