Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's over two months now since Cena lost clean to the Rock. And it's safe to say currently Cena is more over than he has ever been in the last 12 months

The boo's are fewer and the support is louder.

I hear people say if you have your top guy lose clean it damages their character or presence. Clearly not...

WWE wasted their opportunity for Cena losing clean on the wrong guy. I hope they realise he can still be the mega star even if he loses a fair match and put someone over by letting them beat him.

Personally I wanna see Punk do it at Mania. I know MITB was semi-clean but it still had distractions..

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Whats your point?
Why would the WWE want to make Cena, Not over.
He is a mega star, as you said. The WWE has built him into this star, larger than life character.
The idea was never to make him not over. They are not stupid.
The idea was to establish a few over guys on the roster, which they have done.
CM Punk, Sheamus and even Bryan have come through nicely.
Cena is still there, and will always be there untill the end of his career.

·
"This is real..."
1,202 Posts
He lost clean to The Rock. Of course that's not a shock. If he lost clean to JTG or something, then that would probably change quite a bit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have come through but they are not even on the level of Cena and that's evident with the current state of Raw and the PPV each week...

My point is let a current full time guy on the roaster beat him clean. It makes it more interesting gives further depth to a feud.

Personally when I saw Rock win cleanly I was like "wow did not see that coming". I'd like have that same feeling with a full time wrestler...

And the point was also, if WWE did this. It would not damage Cena's character. Kids would not stop liking him and a couple of months later it will be like it never happened..

He lost clean to The Rock. Of course that's not a shock. If he lost clean to JTG or something, then that would probably change quite a bit.
I'm taking about a current M.E. guy of course...not just some jobber...

·
Premium Member
44,390 Posts
Well I think most of us thought the loss to The Rock would somehow lead to a character change for Cena...nothing really happened. We're really right back to where we were before The Rock/Cena match was set up, which was goofy man-child Cena playing superhero.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW I'm not saying WWE wanted to decrease Cena's popularity with the loss...no no..

My point is it seems they are worried that would happen with a clean lose to Cena from a guy on the current roaster...

And by how over Cena has become since the defeat... evidentially it would not effect things at all...so let the guy loose clean! (to Punk) (or who ever you would like)

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
John Cena didn't lose clean at Wrestlemania. If you look closely, the count was fast. Really fast.

·
Registered
280 Posts
cenas popularity increase comes from the epic win over lesnar at extreme rules and his improved story lines recently

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Hopefully New Jersey takes a shit on this goof come No Way Out. He's only been over because the cities they've been to have shitty crowds. And the clean loss to The Rock was just to send fans home happy at the biggest show of them all. The right thing to do.

·
Registered
280 Posts
shut up. your display at a lack of wrestling knowledge is laughable

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It's over two months now since Cena lost clean to the Rock. And it's safe to say currently Cena is more over than he has ever been in the last 12 months

The boo's are fewer and the support is louder.

I hear people say if you have your top guy lose clean it damages their character or presence. Clearly not...

WWE wasted their opportunity for Cena losing clean on the wrong guy. I hope they realise he can still be the mega star even if he loses a fair match and put someone over by letting them beat him.

Personally I wanna see Punk do it at Mania. I know MITB was semi-clean but it still had distractions..
Of course it wasn't going to damage his character. In just a decade, Cena's won 12 world titles and has beaten everybody. Besides, if he'd gone over the Rock there'd be nothing meaningful for him to accomplish. This clean loss only pushed him further into the spotlight because it was a radical change of events.

·
Hot Dreams!
4,098 Posts
The WWE weren't stupid, they know that the collective perception is that Cena always wins, and they knew that having Cena go over Rock would only tarnish his reputation even further. By having him lose to the Rock clean, they were attempting to garner him sympathy. Since Wrestlemania, the WWE have methodically positioned him in situations where he'll get cheered again (showing his good deeds, pitting him against guys that are impossible to like, having him lose a few matches..ect). It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, what matters is getting people to care enough so they'll pay to see you wrestle. People aren't cheering or booing Cena for his win/loss record, they judge him based on his performance. What's important is that Cena's angles are relevant, as long as he isn't losing matches midway through RAW without any rhyme or reason, he'll be fine.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
WWE probably thought about changing something up, based on the progression of his character pre WM and shortly after, but it seems they nixed it soon after. May have something to do with Lesnar, if they could have agreed to a full time contract Cena could have turned, but alas, didn't happen.

·
Registered
452 Posts
shut up. your display at a lack of wrestling knowledge is laughable
That was the exact thought I had about you when I read your laughable comment that the "storylines" have gotten better. Are you kidding me? A watered down version of the tired "rebelling against the boss" storyline and the millionth replay of the Cena vs. Big Show fued are better storylines?? If you believe that - than you probably believe wrestling is real too.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
The problem I have is they went to this concerted effort to try and use Cena as 'filler' which would still gain ratings whilst you push the WWE Champion CM Punk to the forefront but instead they decided to forget that completly and have Cena's filler be above the WWE title and bury the supposed 'most coveted championship in wrestling' to midcard status.

If that was the intention then what was the point of not letting Cena carry the belt, he might aswell.

·
What?
13,511 Posts
Well I think most of us thought the loss to The Rock would somehow lead to a character change for Cena...nothing really happened. We're really right back to where we were before The Rock/Cena match was set up, which was goofy man-child Cena playing superhero.
I think that's the issue really, we were expecting character development to begin straight after the loss and we didn't get it. Not necessarily because the WWE aren't going to do it at all, but so it can fit better with their big-money PPV's. It's sad that they have to save the character developing storylines for 5-6 months until the timing lines up for them and the can reintroduce the story back in when it suits them.

The only problem is that it diminishes the overall impact and effectiveness of the eventual change because it gets stalled in the infant stages of it's development.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts