Wrestling Forum banner

What direction would you take with his character?

• Turn him heel

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Make him the new Undertaker

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Putting over young guys (i.e. jobbing)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Continue booking him how he always been booked.

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good storytelling requires drama, beleivable drama. How can you have good storytelling with a guy who steamrolls over all of the villians? Anyone who advocates Cena being the main focus without seriously changing up his character can no longer say they advocate for good storytelling.

Cena is too powerful at this point to provide good drama and the guy is at a point where he's unable to further function as a archtypical underdog hero. Furthermore, there is NO going back from the goddamn Rock, the Rock is THE biggest challenge for John Cena and no future match with Cena as the underdog can ever reach the level.

What would you suggest doing with the Cena character? Turning him heel? Making him the new Undertaker of the WWE as the top tier legend who rarely appears (but makes a big impact whenever he does)? Continue booking him the way he's always been booked, not giving a **** about good storytelling? Having him put over up-and-coming wrestlers?

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,077 Posts
Exactly right,

Where's the big payoff if the heels are built like shit, where's the fun in seeing a superhero kicking everybodies ass ?

If he beats rock clean how can they book him after that ?

He might aswell retire the following night on Raw.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
How is it good storyline when HHH screws him at Summerfest.
He then goes and bitches at ADR for doing what the MITB was designed for.
Oh but the drama makes that promo full of inconsistencies soudn good huh.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,787 Posts
Well, they're only going to keep building him strong going into Wrestlemania. Compared to, say, Hulk Hogan, Cena has actually spent a dramatically sizable portion of his main event run either directly or at least generally putting others over. 2008 saw a lot of that, as WWE had him go through some major slump of sorts, which unquestionably harmed his drawing power. He's never been quite the same since, and his overall staleness has been becoming more visably problematic, beyond mere IWC carping about it: A number of his segments in the last couple of months have actually lost viewers. If he's not engaged in something bordering on being revolutionary and compelling television like Nexus a year ago or the Summer of Punk this year, and it's not Road to Wrestlemania season anyway, he's viewed by an increasing number of fans as being abrasively stagnant to the point of being a channel-flip-inducer.

I've spent years arguing against turning him heel in the past. However, in 2012, both he and WWE need him to turn heel. It really is the way to go. The immediate gaping vacuum will invite the coronation(s) of a (or more) new major babyface star(s), which, along with the buzz created by Cena turning to the Dark Side, would be nothing less than a big shot in the arm for WWE's business anyway.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I don't think anything needs to be done with Cena at this point. One of the positives of Triple H's return and Punk's push is that we've seen less and less of Cena as a result. Currently Cena is an afterthought and possibly even a "midcarder", despite being in the WWE Title feud.

Cena could put Del Rio over though. I could see Del Rio defeating Cena with the cross armbreaker. Cena doesn't have to tap out, but he could try to drag Del Rio across the ring with his freakish strength, only for the ref to stop the match to protect Cena from getting seriously injured.

Cena could then move on to feuds with Vickie's boys, or he could get put in the Hall of Pain, in order to rest up his injuries so that he can be at his best for Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That's what I've been saying for months.. Cena's done just about EVERYTHING there is to do in the WWE. He's a 12 time fucking champ and has been the top dog for over 6 years.

After his feud with Rock what's left for him? seriously.. he's done everything, but turn Heel. He really needs to, and i'm not saying that cause i'm some bandwagoner. Cena's at the point in his career where he needs it.

But try telling that to Vinne Mac.
After all this i fear Cena will remain the stale ass babyface for years to come, just the same old Cena vs *insert heel*

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Well, they're only going to keep building him strong going into Wrestlemania. Compared to, say, Hulk Hogan, Cena has actually spent a dramatically sizable portion of his main event run either directly or at least generally putting others over. 2008 saw a lot of that, as WWE had him go through some major slump of sorts, which unquestionably harmed his drawing power. He's never been quite the same since, and his overall staleness has been becoming more visably problematic, beyond mere IWC carping about it: A number of his segments in the last couple of months have actually lost viewers. If he's not engaged in something bordering on being revolutionary and compelling television like Nexus a year ago or the Summer of Punk this year, and it's not Road to Wrestlemania season anyway, he's viewed by an increasing number of fans as being abrasively stagnant to the point of being a channel-flip-inducer.

I've spent years arguing against turning him heel in the past. However, in 2012, both he and WWE need him to turn heel. It really is the way to go. The immediate gaping vacuum will invite the coronation(s) of a (or more) new major babyface star(s), which, along with the buzz created by Cena turning to the Dark Side, would be nothing less than a big shot in the arm for WWE's business anyway.
this

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I think its going to happen at Mania. He goes on and on about how his match with The Rock is going to transcend the business and so on. In interviews, the radio, on Twitter you name it. I know its hype but Cena seems very serious about it. I dont think a goodie goodie typical Cena win over Rock is going to transcend anything. A heel turn while doing so though, will.

·
Registered
546 Posts
considering his current character is who he really is, I have no problem with him remaining a face.. it's not him that people need to worry about, it's new talent, and getting them put over with characters and storylines that last more then 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
He has 1 of 3 options

1- Seinfeld it and retire on top if he beats the rock.
2- Heel turn. Time for a new face and credible heels.
3- Start having him lose clean from time to time. Even guys like hhh lost clean in their glory days. His WM27 with Taker had him tapping; john cena needs to put a heel over for once.

·
Registered
226 Posts
LOL at "turn him heel". Keep dreaming smarks, keep dreaming...

·
The Sundance Kid
18,108 Posts
Voted the Undertaker option for a couple reasons. First of all I've already voted to turn Cena heel a bajillion times this month. And secondly I thought you meant literally have him inherit the Undertaker gimmick, and that sounded so random and retarded I couldn't not vote for it.

·
Dragon Slayer
6,625 Posts
I voted other. WWE needs to return to an edgier product to go along with the 'reality era' (this DOESN'T mean "tons of naked women and blood" or some other stupid shit someone will throw out there). Giving Cena free reign to write more mature promos and edgier feuds with his opponents would be great for his character AND WWE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts