Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
King James
24,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cena vs. Batista feud and matches were billed as a clash of "the two biggest stars since the Attitude Era." But my question is how big of a mark will their feud leave on the business/WWE?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tbh I don't think the fued will leave that big of a mark, I mean like years down the line i doubt it you will hear people saying "oh remember that Cena/Batista rivarly, that was classic" but i do think that they tried their best to put on some entertaining matches.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
It hasn't left as big of a mark on fans like us who mostly grew up during the Attitude Era, but it almost certainly has left a huge mark on today's younger fans. We'll be the ones talking about Austin/Rock, and they'll be the ones talking about Cena/Batista.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
Wasn't anything special, and it you look at the ratings/PPV buyrates from that time, it really didn't have any big effect.

Cena and Batista never really caught my imagination to be honest. Batista isn't missed in the slightest.

·
Canuck
4,763 Posts
I really enjoyed that feud tbh. Batista's character was phenomenal, really got you glued to the screen. Not to mention they had about 3 or 4 great matches. They brought out the best in each other.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Cena was his predictable self but their feud building up to Wrestlemania was fantastic.

Although I really felt they shouldn't have ever had their match at Summerslam 2008. It slightly killed the hype.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
It was a good feud with a nice buildup but I don't think it will be remembered as anything that special. They feuded for about four months over five years. The biggest match was at Wrestlemania 26 but it was overshadowed by Taker and and only got about 12 minutes even then.

·
"The Sex Tornado"
2,260 Posts
Looking back at the program, nearly everyone (even if they won't admit it now) was going ballistic over the Batista/Cena rivalry headed in to Mania. Hell, how many threads popped up comparing it to Rock/Austin @ WM17? I bet if you looked back at the Wrestlemania Official Discussion Thread, you will find well over 100 posts bragging about how "epic" the feud was at the time. IMO, the build to WM was the best feud this year. It will not be held in the same regard as the Austin/Rock feud to people over 20, but anyone younger or new to wrestling will probably remember it for quite some time.

In terms of buyrates, the PPV was hurt by the UFC event headlined by St. Pierre/Hardy the night before (drawing an impressive 850,000 buys to Mania's 885,000 buys).

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
It was a perfect trilogy for the WWE Generation of fans (and thankfully WWE ended it at three instead of stretching it over the year like they have a bad habit of doing).

- Vic

1 - 20 of 30 Posts