Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is a first blood match from, wow, what's almost 5 years ago. I feel like the whole main event is a lost gem. From Cena's rap to the match to the great crowd.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzvyoaj6yeA
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr28SAxLvvM&feature=related

I would have posted this in the media section but I wanted to get some discussion on what everyone thought about this time period on general. On the Raw side, Masters and Carlito were on the rise and the crowds were beginning to get hotter. ECW One Night Stand had brought back a few more old school fans and with the next one coming up there was increased interested in WWE.

The great crowds like this simply don't exist anymore. It's not necessary to curse or to have blood in WWE, but watching this was extremely refreshing because of how well done it was.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Angle and Jericho were two of my favorites at the time so that's one of the reasons why I began hating on Cena back then. The Y2J/Cena feud was actually good for what I remmber but his feud with Angle dragged on and it was something that has been done before with reversed roles. And Cena vs. Bischoff? Don't get me started on that watered down Austin vs. McMahon ripoff.

I also hated the way they were pushing Masters back then he was green in the ring, bored me on the mic and his "Masterlock Challenges" were getting old and even though I was a Carlito fan his push, like Masters, eneded up being meaningless.

The rise that really mattered that year was Edge's, his feud with Matt Hardy is proof of that.

SmackDown! was clearly the better show in 2005, first of all Cena wasn't on the show also, I hated HHH in ealry 2005 and lvoed seeing Batista kicking his ass so I had no problem with him being World Champion for most of the year.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
2005 was an extremely great year and it's probably my 2nd favorite year in the WWE (Nothing's gonna beat 2000).

2005 had great storylines, both shows were watchable, had great PPV's, great matches, it was just a great year.

Now 2006, that's another story.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
2005 was an extremely great year and it's probably my 2nd favorite year in the WWE (Nothing's gonna beat 2000).

2005 had great storylines, both shows were watchable, had great PPV's, great matches, it was just a great year.

Now 2006, that's another story.
Agreed in the PPVs part.

New Year's Revolution, Royal Rumble and Survivor Series were inferior to the 2005 editions.

Now as for the Weekly shows I honestly thought Raw was much better, Cena actually wasn't champion for about 3/4 months combined and it was great seeing Edge in the Main Event and Foley's Heel turn surprised the hell out of me. It's a shame that the DX vs. McMahons dragged for too long with them burying other wrestlers but they had their funny moments.

SD! while nto bein as good as the previous year it was still pretty good and the overall better show, I actually cheered for Booker T for the 1st time in my life ALL HAIL KING BOOKAH! :lmao and JBL as color commentator? GOLD!

2007 was really when WWE hit rock bottom.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
Agreed in the PPVs part.

New Year's Revolution, Royal Rumble and Survivor Series were inferior to the 2005 editions.

Now as for the Weekly shows I honestly thought Raw was much better, Cena actually wasn't champion for about 3/4 months combined and it was great seeing Edge in the Main Event and Foley's Heel turn surprised the hell out of me. It's a shame that the DX vs. McMahons dragged for too long with them burying other wrestlers but they had their funny moments.

SD! while nto bein as good as the previous year it was still pretty good and the overall better show, I actually cheered for Booker T for the 1st time in my life ALL HAIL KING BOOKAH! :lmao and JBL as color commentator? GOLD!

2007 was really when WWE hit rock bottom.
Yeah 2006 was ok but that's where WWE started declining and then 2007 is when all went downhill.

And I strongly believe that trying to revive ECW is one of the reasons that the WWE started to become shitty in 06-07.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Yeah 2006 was ok but that's where WWE started declining and then 2007 is when all went downhill.

And I strongly believe that trying to revive ECW is one of the reasons that the WWE started to become shitty in 06-07.
I disagree, ECW started off really bad no doubt but by mid 2007 it was a better show than Raw, Ok it wasn't the old ECW but aside from the name there wasn't anything else wrong with it imo.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
I disagree, ECW started off really bad no doubt but by mid 2007 it was a better show than Raw, Ok it wasn't the old ECW but aside from the name there wasn't anything else wrong with it imo.
I agree it was a good show but I think it killed a lot of WWE's momentum.

But for the record ECW > NXT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts