Wrestling Forum banner

Cena And Orton Probably Aren't Going To Be Around Much Longer, So Stop Worrying!

3K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  TopFiveRecords 
#1 ·
One major criticism I see WWE receive is that they don't create new stars and shove the same old guys down our throat. The two wrestlers who seem to receive this criticism the most are John Cena and Randy Orton. Over and over again, people will tell you that Orton and Cena have been at the top for a decade and that they just push down and bury younger talent. But I don't think you need to fret, because I think John Cena and Randy Orton are winding down, and their careers are going to end soon. Why do I think this?

Well, for one, look how long they've been wrestling. They both started their careers in 2000. That's 14 years. Not a lot of wrestlers manage to stay on top that long. Eventually, enough has to be enough.

There's also the fact that both of them have received multiple injuries. All that wear and tear has to have an effect on them. You can't go for too long when you receive that many injuries.

Plus, there's the fact that guys like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan have been taking up more time than they would have normally over the past few years. Plus, all the guys WWE have been building up. It's obvious that they're building up Roman Reigns as the next face of WWE. I don't like it, but at least their building a new star.

And with CM Punk gone and Cena, Orton, and most likely Bryan (he's been wrestling as long as them, remember) probably leaving within the next few years, we can expect to see a new era in which guys like Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt, and Sami Zayn will lead the charge.

Do you guys think this will happen, or do you think Cena and Orton are here to stay for a long time?

See less See more
#2 ·
Guys who usually stay on top for this long won't be going away any time soon. Look at Kane, Taker, Triple H, Big Show - these guys have been at the top for almost 20 years for a reason - because Vince loves them. It's not even a matter of weather they draw money or not. If he has trusted Cena and Orton to stay on top this long he won't be letting them go any time soon, not on his end anyway.

#4 ·
Guys who usually stay on top for this long won't be going away any time soon. Look at Kane, Taker, Triple H, Big Show - these guys have been there for almost 20 years because Vince likes them too much. If he has trusted Cena and Orton to stay on top this long he won't be letting them go any time soon, not on his end anyway.
Yeah, but Triple H is an authority figure, Taker has been wrestling once a year for the last few years, and Kane and Big Show have become mid carders. Even if Cena and Orton do stay for a long time, I don't imagine them being the top guys for much longer.

#5 ·
ortons 34 and earning $3.5 million a year from wwe. dude is going nowhere if he is smart. if kane is still around at 47 and undertaker is still in top matches at wrestlemania at 50 then orton will be there for a long time to come.

with nowhere else in the states to work you are going to see the same guys on top for decades not years. anyone on top will defend their spots no matter what. look at big show and mark henry

#8 · (Edited)
Bryan's already stated that he's leaving in a couple of years to start a family with Brie.

As far as Orton goes if the reports are true and he's unhappy in the WWE and wants him off then I could very easily see him being the next person to walk out on the company and as far as Cena goes personally the only way I see him leaving the WWE is in a wheelchair or body bag.

#7 ·
Yea right. Both are in their mid 30s and earning at least 1.5 million a year if not more and have nothing outside of WWE that will pay them even half as much. They also are the top two full time wrestlers and have the most pull. They'll always be put in top feuds and get championships. Orton will probably remain another 10 years if his body holds up and as long as the money is still good. Same with Cena.

#13 ·
Both Orton and Cena are making millions a year. They aren't going anywhere as long as their bodies hold up and considering modern medicine, that can be a long time in scripted wrestling.

#16 ·
I don't worry about Cena and Orton being around much longer because at this rate, I won't be around much longer. My network subscription expires in two weeks and once it does, the umbilical cord keeping me attached to the product is gone.

Reactions: NightmareInc.
#19 ·
I kind of have a feeling that Cena is going to have a longer career than Ric Flair. I can totally imagine him still wrestling big matches at Wrestlemania when he's 50+. I don't like it, but John Cena is going to be full time for MANY more years to come and part time after that for even longer.

Otherwise, I just don't believe in WWE's ability to push the right people and do it properly.

#24 ·
Might I ask what the hell the problem people have with Orton is. When he is invested as a performer in what he's doing, he is one of the most entertaining on the roster. Even in dry periods, Orton is still a damn good worker and one of the smoothest in the history of the business, and considering Orton's profile is lowering and will likely continue to do so, what is the issue if Orton dwells on the roster for the next decade as long as he doesn't get the franchise slots? The talent is there folks. I understand the apathy with Cena and that guy is never sliding so long as he is working and the guy does seem to have a Deadpool-eque healing factor and his slot is often at the detriment of others.

#25 · (Edited)
you're out of your mind.

Orton is.. 34. 34!! Where do you think he's going to go at 34? The guy's gonna be around for at least another decade. Get used to it.

Cena.. what's he, 36? Same deal there. He's going nowhere man. Wrestlers (sorry, "entertainers") that keep themselves in shape can go all the way into their mid-40s and even well beyond that - if they want to stay, then they'll be staying. WWE will have no part in letting either of those two guys go.

Sorry man. You gotta wait until at least the year 2024 before you can see them move out of the WWE.. that is, if the WWE is still around by then

#27 ·
The torch has yet to be properly handed down from today's stars (Cena/Orton/Punk/Bryan - the latter two whose absence will make the process harder), and if the audience doesn't take to the new breed enough, then I believe Orton and Cena will be kept around like Jericho and Show indefinitely. If the transition is made improperly or too abruptly, there will be a severe dip in numbers, and I don't think WWE wants or perhaps could handle that, at this point.

My hope is that this new breed of talent (adding the likes of Sandow, Ziggler, and Cesaro to that list) does indeed take charge and business and quality flourishes once more. My expectations, unfortunately, are less.

#30 ·
The torch has yet to be properly handed down from today's stars (Cena/Orton/Punk/Bryan - the latter two whose absence will make the process harder), and if the audience doesn't take to the new breed enough, then I believe Orton and Cena will be kept around like Jericho and Show indefinitely. If the transition is made improperly or too abruptly, there will be a severe dip in numbers, and I don't think WWE wants or perhaps could handle that, at this point.

My hope is that this new breed of talent (adding the likes of Sandow, Ziggler, and Cesaro to that list) does indeed take charge and business and quality flourishes once more. My expectations, unfortunately, are less.

To be honest man those 3 arent much younger than Cena and Orton

Cesaro is 33
Ziggler is 34
Sandow is 32

compared to

Cena 37
Orton 34

Guys like ziggler have been around for quite a while, yet we still keep thinking hes an up and comer. :p Hes at his peak now so hopefully he breaks out at some point soon.

some of the new breed I suppose is

Bo Dallas 24
Bray Wyatt 27
Big E 28 (Dont know where he went)
Seth Rollins 28
Ambrose 28
adrian neville 28
Roman Reigns 29
Sami Zayn 30

Then again, age is different for everyone. Some people age much better than others so it isnt necessarily an indicator of how long your career will be.

#28 ·
I think they will both be around for a long time to come. Look at HHH, dude is 45 and looks amazing and could definitely still pull full time if he wanted to. Hes in better shape at 45 than most people will ever be in their entire lives. He also had a similar schedule during his career as Cena and Orton. Therefore I expect both to be around for a while, and I dont mind it. I think they both contribute something to the product. Im not sure what it is exactly, but without them it just wouldnt feel right.

#31 ·
Actually I think all three - Cena, Orton, Bryan - will be around a long time. I do think Cena will have a stopping period though cause the dude is pretty beat up, but Orton has some really strong conditioning and Bryan just had his first major injury ever. I'm predicting those three alongside a few others like The Miz and maybe Ziggler will be around like the Big Show and Mark Henry is today.

#34 ·
Both seem to be testing a movie career again and really I think that's the only thing that will get them to bolt. There's not many avenues in life where you can make millions of dollars a year. Some like Punk and Bryan have small appetites and save everything they get but that doesn't seem to be the case with Orton and Cena. They're going to milk every cent they can get from the industry unless something better comes along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.