Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
26,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Hollywood Reporter said:
The Jordan Peele-produced reimagining of Candyman is on.

Nia DaCosta, who helmed this year's indie modern Western Little Woods, has been hired to direct what is being billed as a contemporary and “spiritual sequel” to the 1992 horror pic, which Peele is producing with his Monkeypaw Productions partner Win Rosenfeld.

MGM, which made the announcement Tuesday, is behind the project and is teaming with Universal to release it. The latter has set a June 12, 2020, bow for the thriller.

The original movie adapted the Clive Barker story The Forbidden and told of the legend of the Candyman, a murdered son of a slave who is now a supernatural killer, and his unique relationship with a white grad student working on a thesis on urban legends, all set against the backdrop of a poor Chicago housing project.

The new story is once again set in the Windy City neighborhood, but it is now gentrified.

Production is expected to begin in the spring.

“The original was a landmark film for black representation in the horror genre," Peele said in a statement. "Alongside Night of the Living Dead, Candyman was a major inspiration for me as a filmmaker, and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting. We are honored to bring the next chapter in the Candyman canon to life and eager to provide new audiences with an entry point to Clive Barker’s legend."

Said MGM’s Jon Glickman, “We cannot wait for the world to see what the mind-blowing combination of Jordan, Win and Nia bring to the legend of Candyman. They have created a story that will not only pay reverence to Clive Barker’s haunting and brilliant source material but is also thoroughly modern and will bring in a whole new generation of fans.”

DaCosta’s Little Woods starred Tessa Thompson and Lily James and premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival, where it earned the filmmaker the Nora Ephron Award.
I'm the Candyman, bitch!

Sweets to the sweet.

Be my victim...

Childhood horror at its finest. Candyman's voice comes at me from every angle and literally sends chills down my spine. Focus is sheer terror, myth and the nihilism of the original. I'm sure they'll keep the grunge quality to some extent. Also must have the haunting original score and a lead that can step up to the task of filling Tony Todd's shoes in the role. I'd be surprised if Tony Todd and/or Virginia Madsen returned.

·
Premium Member
43,948 Posts
Re: Jordan Peele-Produced 'Candyman' Sequel Gets Director, Release Date

I love the idea of bringing Candyman back.

Not too hyped on one half of Key and Peele being involved though.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,390 Posts

Bernard Rose has always spoke about him wanting to do a proper sequel to the original, with Virginia Madsen returning. Shame he's not involved again with this.

Not sure what to think about this if I'm honest. I consider the original one of the finest in the genre and perfectly fitting of its time. Tony Todd could easily return and IMO he'd have to if this is indeed a sequel.

I didn't like the original sequel so I'll see how this one turns out. I've always been of the opinion though that the original movie never needed a sequel and certainly not a remake of any kind.

We'll wait with baited breath on this one.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Horror fans have been beside themselves with glee with the news that Jordan Peele and Nia DaCosta are bringing back the Candyman. But what does the real Candyman, Tony Todd, think? As he told SyFy, he has "mixed feelings" because, as he said, he thought a new film was going to be made "15 years ago."

"...If this had been 10 years ago when I had heard the news, I would have been devastated. I would have fought it. Now I'm in a different place," he said. "I've got so many other options that even if they make it without me, which I doubt, the attention the new movie will create will lead folks back to the original [film] because people like to see the source material."

Todd also called Candyman relevant "particularly today, now more than ever."

"In 2018, I think there are a few neighborhoods that could use some Candyman justice, you know what I'm saying?" he said. "I'm just happy that as an African-American man, that Candyman has once again been given the nod to enter people's consciousness."

Even though Todd initially said he had mixed feelings about the reboot, it seems like he's overall ready to see what Peele and DaCosta are going to bring. As Todd told Nightmare on Film Street, Todd gave his blessing to Peele and the team.

”If Jordan wants to do it, do it," he said. "I know I'd rather have him do it, someone with intelligence, who's going to be thoughtful and dig into the whole racial makeup of who Candyman is and why he existed in the first place. I know he'll give homage and I know that if it gets made, I'll have a plate at the table one way or the other."

In particular, he hopes that the film touches on the main crux of Candyman's turn toward horror: his romantic relationship with a member of the white elite in the 1800s. As he told SyFy: “I hope that they don't dance around the [interracial] relationship between Candyman and the love of his life, the reason for his death and that they are actually allowed to kiss. [Back then] it was rare that African-American male film stars got to kiss any of the white leading ladies they worked with. I'm just speaking my mind here."

Peele and DaCosta's Candyman is slated for a June 12, 2020 release.

Todd will make his directorial debut with supernatural thriller “Catalytic”.

Link: https://shadowandact.com/why-candyman-star-tony-todd-says-he-has-mixed-feelings-about-upcoming-film-reboot-from-jordan-peele

‘Lakeith Stanfield Considered For The New Candyman Film’
But before the "only Tony Todd can be Candyman!" crowd start storming the barricades, he's not in talks to take over the iconic horror role. Instead, the report from blog SuperBroMovies (and confirmed by the team at Collider) he'd be the movie's main character, described as an artist in Chicago who researches the legend of Candyman. And it's not long before strange deaths start to occur around him. Who could have foreseen that?

With Peele as producer, Nia DaCosta is on to direct the movie, with a script by Peele and Win Rosenfeld that is aiming to be a "spiritual sequel" to the original. It's currently taking aim at a June 2020 release date.
Source: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/lakeith-stanfield-considered-new-candyman-film/

This potential casting choice could drive my interest up for this movie. Lakeith Stanfield is currently one of the more interesting fresh actors on the scene. Lakeith is great in the tv series Atlanta, and movies like Get Out and Sorry To Bother You. Check him out if you haven’t already.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Teyonah Parris (If Beale Street Could Talk) is in talks to star in the film opposite Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Aquaman). In this version of the story, Abdul-Mateen would take on the role of “an artist who becomes obsessed with the bloody legend [of Candyman],” per THR, while Parris would play his girlfriend, set in a gentrified Chicago.

The original 1992 film was adapted from a story by Clive Barker. When grad student Helen Lyle (Virginia Madsen) begins working on a thesis looking at urban legends, she encounters the tale of the Candyman — the vengeful spirit of a hook-handed slave, who, it is said, can be summoned by saying his name five times in the mirror. As her research leads her into the bowels of Chicago’s deprived housing projects and deeper into the Candyman’s world, Helen learns that some legends are best left alone.

In the years following Candyman's release, the Cabrini-Green housing project began to be demolished, with the last original building finally being destroyed in 2011. The area is now occupied by high-end condos, a development the new film will embrace for its plot. Variety describes that the new film "returns to the neighborhood where the legend began: the now-gentrified section of Chicago where the Cabrini-Green housing projects once stood."

The film is described as a "spiritual sequel," which will likely borrow elements from the original narrative while not actively negating the events of the previous sequels in the series.

Tony Todd played the titular character in the first three films and, while he might make an appearance in the new film, gave the new production his blessing regardless. The actor shared on Twitter, "Cheers to Candyman, a wonderful character I've lived with for 25 years. He's brought grace and glory & a beautiful boatload of friends & family."

He added that he was "honored that the spirit of [Daniel Robatiell and the Cabrini Green neighborhood] Rises again. Truth to power! Blessings 2 the cast & crew."

Stay tuned for details on the new Candyman, which is slated to hit theaters on June 12, 2020.
From Aquaman to the Candyman.
Yahya has a commanding onscreen presence so I am intrigued to see him lead this film.

Teyonah Parris gave a strong performance in If Beale Street Could Talk. She was actually one of the standouts amongst a 5-star acting class so I'm excited she is in this project too.

Jordan Peele’s Candyman Movie Will Include Original Star Tony Todd

Original Candyman star Tony Todd got his wish: he'll appear in Jordan Peele's upcoming take on the classic horror film. Back in January, Todd made it clear that he was hoping to appear in the remake. At the time, he didn't specify a particular role he was hoping for, only that he wanted to be involved in some way. Todd previously stated that, although he still had "mixed feelings" about the new film, he was happier about it now than he would have been 10 years ago, especially if he wasn't invited to be a part of the project.

In addition to Todd, the new Candyman has several other actors in talks to star in the film. These include Teyonah Parris, who starred in last year's If Beale Street Could Talk, and Aquaman’s Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, who was being considered for the title role. Previously, Lakeith Stanfield was eyed to play main character Anthony, an artist researching the Candyman. Nia DaCosta, best known for Little Woods, is on board to direct.

Source: Jordan Peele’s Candyman Movie Will Include Original Star Tony Todd

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,079 Posts
Intrigued but the original has aged so well, I am wary of them messing with it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Looks excellent.

I think Tony Todd is reprising the role of Candyman but it's playing off the whole mythos of folklore and to an extent themes of urbanization and race. The sequels turned him into another slasher icon. But really it's all about folklore, hence Helen turning into ghost.

·
Premium Member
43,948 Posts
If Tony Todd is in this, then I'm all in...but the trailer looks good anyway.

I'm actually shocked that Candyman wasn't turned into a horror franchise that got 14 sequels like everything else, but its kind of nice that the original got to stand on its own as a classic without being tarnished. But this sequel does look promising.

I wish they'd called it "Return of the Candyman" or something like that though. I'm sick of them trying to trick people into thinking its a standalone and separate from the original when its not.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Tony Todd is in this, then I'm all in...but the trailer looks good anyway.
He's in it. You can see his reflection in the car window that Yahya walks by near the end of the trailer.

This shot was very creepy too:

·
Registered
535 Posts
He's in it. You can see his reflection in the car window that Yahya walks by near the end of the trailer.
I don't believe we'll see much of him close up, simply because Tony has aged too much since 1992 to get away with it. Hence the unseen spirit of Candyman pulling that guy away in the trailer and the teens being killed in the toilet room by an unseen force. And probablywhy they called it a spiritual sequel.

Looks like the baby from the original is grown up and summons Candyman back after the legend faded away. If Helen in the original joined him on the other side as the wife he lost, he'll come for this character to become the child he lost in the 1800s. Though I'm sure Peele will have a big twist or two.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts