Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people always talk about things like "what if the screwjob never happened" or "what if the roles were reversed" and things like that. But one thing I was wondering about was if Vince canceled the Survivor Series 1997 main event(meaning HBK didn't defend his title,Bret didn't appear,and the ppv just ended at Austin-Owen for IC title) would that have been on a similar controversial level as screwing Bret?

Fans were mad that WWE did something like this, especially to someone like Bret. So would it have been more controversial if they just ended the PPV early and cancelled the main event? Would the aftermath have been better or worse for WWE?

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
Dafuq? Why would it be controversial if the Main event was canceled? The fans at the arena would feel ripped off their money, thats it.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How would you feel if Rock-Cena match was cancelled/announced as cancelled during Wrestlemania....
Or how do you think the fans would have reacted if Punk-Cena at MITB got cancelled?

Not just fans in attendance,but those buying the event on ppv as well.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Well, the WWE would most probably get sued for false advertising unless they could prove that there was a legit injury involved.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can't cancel the PPV events. That means the WWE gets sued for false advertising and not to mention Vince McMahon needed the money to keep their company afloat.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I know people always talk about things like "what if the screwjob never happened" or "what if the roles were reversed" and things like that. But one thing I was wondering about was if Vince canceled the Survivor Series 1997 main event(meaning HBK didn't defend his title,Bret didn't appear,and the ppv just ended at Austin-Owen for IC title) would that have been on a similar controversial level as screwing Bret?

Fans were mad that WWE did something like this, especially to someone like Bret. So would it have been more controversial if they just ended the PPV early and cancelled the main event? Would the aftermath have been better or worse for WWE?
bret was the champion and he was leaving for wcw. if he wouldn't have defended he would have kept the title.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If Bret had not been screwed we'd have never had the attitude era. He was a strong opponent of the direction the company was going in and would've had the force to change it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts