Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i downloaded Bittorrent recently and my friend told me its a bad idea because he downloaded it and downloaded some movies and then a letter come through the Mail telling him he need to pay a Fine for downloading such a thing.

Well i have been downloading movies and no letter has come (yet) so can i get in trouble for downloading ?

·
LIVE ACTION!
1,436 Posts
Hells yeah you can LOL. It's just like using any other program like Limewire, Bear Share or anything else that you don't pay money to download the stuff. I've been using it for a year or so now and haven't gotten anything.

·
Chicharito!
5,295 Posts
They tend to go for the people uploading rather than the people downloading as I think you get a bigger fine for distributing copyright-infringing files, but you can still get done for it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You can get in trouble for downloading any copyrighted material - no matter which method you use. The reality is that so many people do it and that the crime of making something available is more dangerous than just downloading - but this is where torrents are troublesome because you are automatically uploading for others aswell as downloading.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Depends on what you've been downloading, if you've been downloading copyrighted material then you could be liable but if what you're downloading is unlicensed "freeware" material then you're safe.

·
There are players and then there are pieces
5,052 Posts
I just make sure I don't stop seeding after I download something, if you upload to much your internet provider could find out what you've upload. For instance, my friend downloaded a movie that was still in theaters and left Utorrent up and seeded the file for weeks. He got a letter from time warner telling him not download copyrighted material and it was his only warning.

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah u can get in trouble but only if u activate sharing. This is because you are uploading and ultimately distributing it to other folk. Just be careful there is a lawfirm in the UK using legal loophole to scare people into paying fines, I know this personally

·
Registered
78 Posts
It actually kind of depends on where your live and what your copyright laws are. If you live in the US then there's a chance that some of the companies that are in charge of the movies/music you're downloading are tracking you. It also depends on which torrents you download. So, choose the torrents wisely. The companies can pretty much get a hold of your IP address then that's when your internet provider contacts you to stop. There are some techniques to block trackers from getting your IP though, not really sure how you do it since I don't have a problem with it myself.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It can get you in trouble, yes. My friend recieved a letter in the mail basically giving him a warning for using this, and rid of it immediately. BUT, that was because it somehow was traced to his house. I think, as long as you remove the torrent from your computer system you should be fine. As others stated, they are more worried about catching uploaders than they are downloaders.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Basically you're asking us if you could get into trouble for committing a crime. The answer is obviously yes.

But consider how many people commit this crime every second, around the World and how many come to any real justice and maybe you will be able to sleep at night.

·
Hypocritic germ incubator
226 Posts
It matters what country you're in and what ISP you're using. Usually ISP's just give you warnings to stop downloading torrents, blocks torrent sites, prevents you from seeding, etc. They could also get annoyed when you use torrents because they take up so much bandwidth, but that really depends on the comapny.

I'm lucky to live in a country where it's free to pirate shit 24/7.

This will probably help you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts