Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So many people on this board have asserted that the problem with WWE is not the PG rating, the in-ring talent, or the number of pay per views, but that the problem is the writing. The writing is the problem. With Survivor Series just a few days away, can we please stand up and give a little credit to the writers for FINALLY creating a match that is genuinely, truly unpredictable?

Randy Orton versus Wade Barrett for the WWE Championship might be the most unpredictable world title match of the last 10 years, if not ever. The writers have bent over backwards to create as many variables as possible. Think about it:

We've got Cena, who obviously is conflicted between letting Orton win and losing his job or letting Barrett, the man he hates, win the title in exchange for his freedom.

We've got Barrett, who's stacked the deck in his favor and manipulated everyone into a corner to give himself the best chance to win the title.

We've got Orton defending his title. And keep in mind that Orton hasn't received the same sort of beatdown treatment from the Nexus that others have. There's always an outside possibility that he's in league with Barrett and Co.

After not mentioning it for months, Barrett has started bringing up Nexus' "bigger purpose" on a regular basis again. That could just mean Barrett winning the title, or it could mean the appearance of a Nexus "mastermind" like Triple H, a McMahon, or someone else getting involved in the match.

We've got the No Disqualification/No Countout stipulation, which opens the door to any and all sorts of outside interference and/or foreign objects.

We've got the existing Nexus members, who obviously could involve themselves if Cena is incapacitated or distracted.

Yes, the Nexus is banned from ringside, but there's nothing stopping a NEW Nexus member from getting involved. They played that card with Harris and McGillicutty at Hell in a Cell, and there's no reason that can't happen again.

We've got The Miz, who might cash in the Money in the Bank either DURING or AFTER the match and steal the title.

Last but not least, we've got the Anonymous GM, who's been closely involved in this storyline for months and might either reveal himself or at least influence the outcome.

EDIT: I almost forgot yet another one: the possibility that the disgruntled David Otunga might take out his frustration on Barrett and cost him the match.

Now, I'm not necessarily predicting which, if any, of these scenarios may come to pass. All I'm asking is that we admit, just this once, that the writers have done a GREAT job of putting up enough smokescreens to obscure the outcome of this match. For the first time in a long time, I feel like a true fan again, in that I have no clue who's going to win or how. I just can't wait to see it.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Agreed that is one of the best storylines in WWE for a long time IMO.

Now name another one.

·
Registered
934 Posts
nah, it kinda sucks

when they have to use a lot of comedy and guest host gimmicks, etc, to get through a 2 hour show, and there is like 20% wrestling, I can't praise it

the current Nexus angle has made me scratch my head a few times, it's not as genius as everyone claims. and there is a lot of unused talent

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nah, it kinda sucks

when they have to use a lot of comedy and guest host gimmicks, etc, to get through a 2 hour show, and there is like 20% wrestling, I can't praise it
How precisely does that have ANYTHING to do with the match we're talking about?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Agreed that is one of the best storylines in WWE for a long time IMO.

Now name another one.

Bryan-Miz. Obviously the feud already ended, but they built it since even before Bryan was on TV. Even now, the feud could continue once Miz wins the WWE championship. The only time they could be considered to have "dropped the ball" was adding Morrison to the match at HIAC, which was necessary in order to make the match awesome.

Reactions: Jatt Kidd

·
Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts
5,594 Posts
You also have the inner turmoil within Nexus to consider. Not just Otunga, but the rest of them. They have seen numerous members tossed out, they followed Otunga to the failed Smackdown takeover, and most of their individual motives are obscure. There are so many facets to this.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Bryan-Miz. Obviously the feud already ended, but they built it since even before Bryan was on TV. Even now, the feud could continue once Miz wins the WWE championship. The only time they could be considered to have "dropped the ball" was adding Morrison to the match at HIAC, which was necessary in order to make the match awesome.
Point taken - but it rarely happens that there is many good story/angles going on and half of the matches have no build - mostly surrounding the Tag Titles since THD won them.

How long did it actually take them to split!?

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
How precisely does that have ANYTHING to do with the match we're talking about?
It has nothing to do with the match but it does go to the heart of my, and I guess his, problem with WWE. Yes, they've given us an interesting and unpredictable match that has many of us intrigued. Whoop-de-doo, I expect 3 or 4 matches like that.

So sure, they get some credit for this match but they lose a lot more for failing to give us anything else.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Wait, so we are supposed to give credit to WWE for having ONE storyline that makes sense and is unpredictable? What's next, giving the writers credit for having one good show out of 52 weeks?

If they had the whole card really interesting, then I could see your point. But not for ONE storyline and basically ONE match.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
I expected more from Survivor Series really. Danielson vs Punk coulda been phenomenal. The SS teams match could have been built up better.

Though, to be fair, Vince couldnt really book an undercard to save his life. They were always shit. You want a solid undercard, you shoulda gone and watched Jim Crockett promotions. However, i'm not gonna lie, this main event looks fantastic. Unpredictable, big match feel. Havent felt this way in a while. They made it really look like EVERYTHING is on the line for this one.

This is one PPV match I wont be missing.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Yeah, that Vince is a real dickhole for not booking an injured man in a match.
Knowing this place, some people would really believe that.

I know Punk is injured, which is why I'm not too bothered with it. Beyond their control. Also why Danielson has looked kinda directionless for the last month.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
this is like saying we should give an idiot some credit for scoring a 21% on his biology test, because hell, at least he didn't get everything wrong.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'll give them credit. This is a very interesting storyline, and this is comming from a guy who two weeks ago was bored to death with the whole Nexus angle. So the past couple Raws, especially the last one, have done a lot to increase my interest.

·
Number 30 in the Rumble
1,629 Posts
The main event match is great but the US title match didn't get enough build-up and the build-up for Sheamus-Morrison was weak with only one promo and no real story-line, okay Morrison thinks Sheamus is a bully but aren't all heels? the SS match should be between two rival factions not just random heels and faces with only one from each group involved in a feud, surely Rey and ADR should have been booked as a singles match with SS match being Nexus v either Smackdown or Raw and again no tag team feud, just a random match. For a big 4 PPV the build-up for the matches should be stronger.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I agree they have done pretty well with this match. But for the most part, they just don't seem to build feuds properly, they only concentrate on the headline feud and then just don't bother with the rest. They leave it to the final week before the PPV's to announce matches, some of them have no build at all and somehow we are supposed to give a shit. They don't know how to sell the matches that are supposed to generate buys.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah, they deserve credit, not just for this but this year. They've put together some very interesting storylines this year. The Nexus angle, Taker/HBK, Cena/Batista, Taker/Kane, Bret/Vince and Bryan/Miz have all been great.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
I agree they have done pretty well with this match. But for the most part, they just don't seem to build feuds properly, they only concentrate on the headline feud and then just don't bother with the rest. They leave it to the final week before the PPV's to announce matches, some of them have no build at all and somehow we are supposed to give a shit. They don't know how to sell the matches that are supposed to generate buys.
All it takes is one match to sell the PPV. Look at the Attitude Era. The undercard was an abomination, but as long as the main event was interesting, it sold well.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
this is like saying we should give an idiot some credit for scoring a 21% on his biology test, because hell, at least he didn't get everything wrong.
No, it's not. The whole OP was about the great effort put into THIS MATCH, not into the overall PPV or the shows in general. Why are people missing that? Honestly, the cynicism around here drives me nuts. You've gotta be a pretty cynical bastard to look at the OP and, instead of responding with, "Yeah, I've gotta admit they've done a good job with this match," saying "Fine, but the rest of the card sucks! The writers still suck!!!!!!11111one." Ugh.

All it takes is one match to sell the PPV. Look at the Attitude Era. The undercard was an abomination, but as long as the main event was interesting, it sold well.
Precisely. I can't even REMEMBER who's in the elimination tag match besides Del Rio, Mysterio, and (I think) Jack Swagger, but I don't really care. This is the closest I've been to ordering a WWE PPV since WrestleMania XXVI, and it's due to this...one...match.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
No, it's not. The whole OP was about the great effort put into THIS MATCH, not into the overall PPV or the shows in general. Why are people missing that? Honestly, the cynicism around here drives me nuts. You've gotta be a pretty cynical bastard to look at the OP and, instead of responding with, "Yeah, I've gotta admit they've done a good job with this match," saying "Fine, but the rest of the card sucks! The writers still suck!!!!!!11111one." Ugh.
no, i just have to be an honest bastard. which i am.

and yes, it is the same as saying that. they have a bunch of storylines that are supposedly happening right now, and the only one they're really getting right is this one. not a very good percentage.

do they deserve some credit for getting this right? yes, sure, at least they're getting the main storyline right. but fucking everything else up, i can't exactly say "yeah, great job writers! keep up the good work!"

and i still haven't seen what happens AT the PPV. take Bragging Rights for example. i came in thinking that was going to be an interesting venture, and i was going to give the writers credit, but then they have Barrett give a promo where he chooses his words "not so carefully" and instantly the ending of the match became obvious, and it was a huge bore throughout just waiting for it to happen.

i don't really give a shit what it takes to sell a PPV. and i certainly don't give a shit about the Attitude Era. i'm not a businessman nor an attitude era fanboy. my opinion is about the writers and giving them credit for finally doing something right. it's kinda sad that this thread had to be made at all, and that we have to actually acknowledge when they actually write something correctly.

no one's missing what you're saying. they just aren't putting blinders on and ignoring all the issues with the writers right now.

but if you want us to all stick some blinders on, ok, i've put mine on, and i officially give them credit for this storyline, for now. i am generally interested in seeing what happens, although my excitement for this PPV is meh.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts