Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Boiling ramen at 1am because life is still happeni
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, what purpose do they serve? If 2/3 of the whole roster wears them, there must be a logical reason...

·
Banned
3,146 Posts
It helps prevent sweat from running down your arm and onto your hands, making your grip slip.

·
Banned
561 Posts
i thought it was because it's so physically demanding, that you don't want to tear any tissue in your wrist and the same goes for the majority of them with tape on their ankles, similar to football, physical sports that you need to protect yourself in as much as possible, why risk injury on something that can be avoided

·
Registered
81 Posts
To cover the slender part of the arm to make it appear thick from shoulder to hand.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i thought it was because it's so physically demanding, that you don't want to tear any tissue in your wrist and the same goes for the majority of them with tape on their ankles, similar to football, physical sports that you need to protect yourself in as much as possible, why risk injury on something that can be avoided
This is what I've always thought.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Lord Tensai's wrists are lethal weapons.

He shields his wrists merely to keep his substandard competition alive in order to humiliate them further.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Punk uses them to cover his multiple attemps to commit suicide after they tell him what his segment rating was LOL jk

Injuries and thats it i guess

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's basically athletic tape that people use in impact sports like NFL, Gymnastics or wrestling. In wrestling in can be used to hide a blade (before it was frowned upon), also it protects the wrist if you taking bumps. Say you go over the top rope, if you cracked your wrist of something, it's quite a delicate bone to be smashing around. It would also provide you with protection if you're actually punching someone.

If it's round knees then it's to assist flexibility and to help prevent hyper extension.

Although I'm sure some just use it for looks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't understand how a simple piece of tape can help prevent injury. The benefit seems to be minimum.
Go into your kitchen and find a hard surface.

Take your wrist, the boney part, and hit it as hard as possible off said surface.

Now take your other wrist and wrap a small towel with it an repeat.

Tell me which hand you're typing with when you get back.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
They protect the wrist, help to prevent rolling sweat from reaching your hand and once upon a time conceal blades (usually they'd have another layer of tape so that the blade was between at least two strips of wrist tape, though).

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't understand how a simple piece of tape can help prevent injury. The benefit seems to be minimum.
If you've ever played a sport with taping, the reason is that it kind of holds everything where it should be, especially in areas with lots of tendons, cartiledge etc. It's basically a disposable brace for people that don't want chronic issues later on.

The human body was never meant to take the pounding most athletes put it through, so your tendons and ligaments need something to take the strain off of them, the tape gives them something to kind of push against.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it completely, but that's always what it feels like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts