Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibl
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong. I understand that bullying in school is wrong and it should be frowned upon. But it doesn't make a lot of sense that a wrestling promotion is advocating non-violence.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It's an admirable campaign as kids watch wrestling and I guess it works on the level that only the heels 'bully' the faces, and the kids are meant to boo the heels and they're villains. But it doesn't quite work as the faces also use violence on the heels and the faces frequently bully heels as well (I.e 'defenceless' Ricardo Rodriguez always gets hit with finishers). So it's a bit weird that it's associated with WWE, like you said.

Also, not to be 'that guy' but it's a bit of a kayfabe destroyer. When Mark Henry shows up at Be a Star shows and he's a monster heel... really WWE?

But it is doing positivew work, so I'm willing to let it slide.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
They're trying to get the company in a positive light after Chris Benoit. It's cringeworthy but there you go.

·
Registered
609 Posts
as well as PR I think Stephanie is a big driver behind it. She said she was bullied and shes got young kids so wants to see bullying challenged (even though no matter what you do it will always be part of life)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
It's hilarious hearing Steph say that she got bullied. I can't buy it at all.
she got implants, 90% of women who get implants get them for self esteem not because of say an accident or cancer, usually stems from either mental depression or most likely outside sources like say being bullied

as on to the topic ...wrestling isnt real theyre just actors who do their own stunts. its good for pr and if it stops one incident that keeps a kid from suicide is it really bad>?

·
Premium Member
19,333 Posts
This campaign is three fold at the very least. First of all as mentioned it's a public image thing. It certainly does nothing but help WWE's image especially with kids.

Secondly it's a political issue. This helps Linda in running for any type of office she might wanna run for.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly this campaign protects WWE from lawsuits. Let's say someone who is a WWE fan is a bully and seriously hurts someone by bullying them or perhaps even kills them somehow. The victims parents wouldn't be able to sue WWE because of this campaign. Well sure they could try but with WWE doing this it almost makes it a certainty that WWE would be safe from any type of bullying law suit.

It's a wise business decision by WWE and makes total sense.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
Public image and to help Linda's always failing campaigns.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
I recall Mark Henry talking about being bullied in one of the recent video packages. I wonder if he was referring to Vince.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Because anti-bullying is now, much like anti-drug campaigns were in the early 90s, the thing now and WWE is for anything to make them look current and with it as it were.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Stephanie has said that she hated private school because some kids would look down on her and her family because they were nouveau riche hicks (Vince is from a trailer park in North Carolina) in the "rasslin' business". She transferred to a public school in high school to get away from old money snobs apparently.

It's a good cause, good PR, and covers bases and their asses. I'm cool with it. I'm not as cool with heels coming in and talking about being bullied. While everyone knows they are characters, I feel some characters may losing something in the eyes of WWE's fans because some part of you is going to go "Psh, Mark Henry ain't shit. Just call him [insert embarrassing and hurtful childhood name] and he'd break down like a bitch".

·
Is a Snit Head
22,215 Posts
Stephanie has said that she hated private school because some kids would look down on her and her family because they were nouveau riche hicks (Vince is from a trailer park in North Carolina) in the "rasslin' business". She transferred to a public school in high school to get away from old money snobs apparently.

It's a good cause, good PR, and covers bases and their asses. I'm cool with it. I'm not as cool with heels coming in and talking about being bullied. While everyone knows they are characters, I feel some characters may losing something in the eyes of WWE's fans because some part of you is going to go "Psh, Mark Henry ain't shit. Just call him [insert embarrassing and hurtful childhood name] and he'd break down like a bitch".
Wrestling isn't real. If Christian Bale comes out and says and says that he has a fear of heights it doesn't make everyone think that Batman is a huge bitch when they watch the Dark Knight. The person and the character aren't the same. It really shouldn't be so hard to figure out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts