Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source : http://wrestlingfeed.com/2012/05/morrison-addresses-wwe-departure-bagwell-looking-to-return.html

John Morrison addressed his departure from WWE during an interview with Colt Cabana for The Art of Wrestling.
“I left on good terms,” he said of his parting of ways. Morrison added that management always told him that his inability to cut a strong promo held him back from achieving greater success; he admits it’s something he needs to improve on. He is now looking to reposition himself and is hopeful that he’ll be worth more upon his return to the organization.
Morrison also discussed his workout routine, parodying The Undertaker and Triple H in an online video, parkour, life outside of professional wrestling and more. The interview is available at WeLoveColt.com.
In my opinion, Morrison was one of the very worst guys on the mic usually, with very few even half-decent segments in the last few years. However he did that one short movie a few weeks ago and it's clear as day that he has worked on his entertainment ability bigtime instead of resting and just taking a break from WWE. Judging by this report, he shows a great attitude by admitting to his faults and unlike many, taking a break to actually concentrate on bettering himself in departments where simply performing in front of the WWE audience wasn't enough. He knew working 300 days in WWE was not sufficient as he needed some extensive mic coaching so he took something up instead of just cutting promos on live shows.

Imo that's great news and it's making me interested to see how he's going to fare upon his return. I lost hope with him during his last WWE run but considering that he's seriously trying to step it up it's going to be interesting how good he will be. I'd seriously lol in a bittersweet way if he comes back and starts cutting epic promos left and right. I find it very sympathic that he tries to improve, so I'm pretty pumped for his eventual return, whenever that happens (probably soon-ish).

·
HEADBANGA
23,513 Posts
When I listened to the podcast it seems he's taken a great idea to improve on something that's held him back (but fuck it he's should've still get the title imo), I think he's gonna come back improved and finally get to main event.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
He NEEDS to drop the name and gimmick. Being a dead rockstar lookalike is a shitty gimmick if you want to get into the main event scene. Perhaps that would've work if Morrison had the Honky Tonk Man's charisma, but it's not the case.

And of course he needs to learn to cut a promo. His work as a face was horrid.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was pretty awesome in the ring.
I think he knows that his ring skills are good enough (although imo he could work on his storytelling, he's no spotmonkey but no psychological master either), so he's trying to concentrate on his mic skills, his real lacking point.

I also think he needs an updated version of his character since the way he got written off TV was due to his w/l record, if he returns with the same goofy smiling stick he will not really turn heads, however I want him to just naturally progress his character instead of dropping the rockstar gimmick and pretending he was never one. Maybe a somewhat more agressive JoMo would work well.

·
KAMEHAMEHA!
18,184 Posts
Nah, he was very good in the ring all around. His psychology was top-notch imo. The Sheamus Ladder Match is proof enough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
He NEEDS to drop the name and gimmick. Being a dead rockstar lookalike is a shitty gimmick if you want to get into the main event scene. Perhaps that would've work if Morrison had the Honky Tonk Man's charisma, but it's not the case.

And of course he needs to learn to cut a promo. His work as a face was horrid.
I think his whole gimmick thing is spot. He just needed character tweaking more rude and early HBK than gymnast free jumping face, that just doesnt cut his look.

As a face he was so so poor!!! Some wrestlers should just be heel. He has the sexy boy heel look that guys would hate with the six pack and flowing hair. He doesnt need to be so over on the mic he needs a MANAGER!!!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I think his whole gimmick thing is spot. He just needed character tweaking more rude and early HBK than gymnast free jumping face, that just doesnt cut his look.

As a face he was so so poor!!! Some wrestlers should just be heel. He has the sexy boy heel look that guys would hate with the six pack and flowing hair. He doesnt need to be so over on the mic he needs a MANAGER!!!
great call, he should have his own kevin nash like hbk did probably someone like mason ryan or ryback

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
If it helps improve his mic-skills then yes. As for his in-ring skills, he was really good, and had a unique wrestling style. Can't wait for his return!

Better question: will many people still regard him as the next Shawn Michaels?
Yeah, I still keep hearing this comparison a lot.

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
Ok how do you cut a promo with his character though? Maybe he could pull his junk out on stage like Jim Morrison used to do. :no:

So yeah he can come back and redefine himself and be able to cut a promo or um whatever...

·
Read Only
11,514 Posts
I think the way to go would be a bit of both the Jim Morrison-type character and a new more aggressive character. Either way, I really hope he's been working on the mic stuff, he should go really far once he gets that down.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
How were his mic skills really that bad? When he had the wwe.com show with the miz, didn't people say(WHILE the show was going on, not people today commenting on the past) that Morrison was the best part of the show.

I dont care what people today say about that show now, but while the show was airing on wwe.com, that was one of the main reasons people said Morrison would be better than Miz.

It always sucks how guys dont get pushed cause they aren't good on the mic. WWE expects guys to be great overall stars or else they won't be pushed. I guess Ovechkin shouldn't play on 1st line cause he can't play defense, or Kobe shouldn't be starting cause he can't block, or Ortiz shouldn't play cause he can't run.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Funny thing is, I believe he is the only superstar to hold a winning record vs Sheamus.

Glad he cares to improve.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
If he can get better on his promos keep his work rate I think if he does indeed come back which it seems he wants to he will get to that next level which he was just below when he left. Looking at this roster they need a guy like him back

1 - 20 of 29 Posts