Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Confortably Numb
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tittle sums it up. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
882 Posts
No. He's good but not great. I don't expect him to even be doing this a year from now. Might even be over by Survivor Series.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Johnny is a completely different character which is good. Where as Mr Mcmahon was the ultimate expression of power and money, Johnny is that guy in the office who is just one spot above you who can't do their job right and is constantly trying to move up the ladder. Its like comparing Donald Trump to Michel Scott.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I doubt it. McMahon-Austin was arguably the defining rivalry of the most loved era of professional wrestling. Vince McMahon is one of the greatest heels the business has ever seen.

But Laurinitis is doing a fine job at the moment.

·
Banned
401 Posts
No. McMahon had legit kayfabe of being a billionaire asshole. Laurenitis kayfabe is he is a corporate stooge.

·
WITNESS ME
728 Posts
Nah. He's not the chairman, for one thing. Beyond that, he's not as funny as McMahon. If Laurinitis plays on the fact that he used to be a pretty good wrestler himself (I wish he'd play the role of gm Johnny ace) I think he'd be a far more interesting character. As it stands he's just generic tyrannical boss #who cares. Make him a guy the audience can laugh at from time to time.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
No chance in hell. Dude is awful, but he is good at being a prick. "Brock Cena"? GT... no, wait, stay until WWE finds someone better.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
No one can play the character Vince did. He was amazing. Johnny is really entertaining but I wouldn't put his character in the same position Vince is.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
It can't be duplicated. Vince was the best authority figure in history and he had the best talent in history to work with. In addition to Vince just flat out being worlds and worlds and worlds above John Laurinaitis, as well as his foil being infinitely better than the entire roster of today put together, the storyline also kicked off at the right time, which was accidental, just like any truly great thing in wrestling, it's never planned out, it just...happens, for one reason or another, organically, and it had never been done before. Now the evil boss has been done a million times, we know the exact formula and nobody cares anymore.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
They're quite different characters and people. Vince was great because he was so bad and Ace is great because he is just bad.

Ace is doing a good job, but he's no Vince and never could be, doesn't mean he can't get over as the heel boss. Just at a lower level.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
He's not really the "evil boss". That's the problem.

He's more of a "hey, I'm in charge, don't annoy me" sort of guy.

If he can get the cocky/smile down right when telling people they're going to be beaten up or fired, yeah, he can do better than Vince.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Johnny is a completely different character which is good. Where as Mr Mcmahon was the ultimate expression of power and money, Johnny is that guy in the office who is just one spot above you who can't do their job right and is constantly trying to move up the ladder. Its like comparing Donald Trump to Michel Scott.
except michael scott didn't abuse his power. well, he did, but he treated his employees fairly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts