Wrestling Forum banner

Can/Is Derrick Bateman.....

3860 Views 22 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  jasonviyavong
the savior the WWE has been waiting for in a 'Face' wrestler. I know the shit with the Mark Henry perfume didn't go down too well, but fuck I love watching him on NXT. Keep the goofyness of his gimmick, but just tweak it a little to give him enough credibility in the ring to be taken serious enough, and I think we have ourselves a FUTURE main event face.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
896 Posts
If he keeps the goofy attitude its only a matter of time before he gets "Santino'ed" by creative.

But i wouldnt go so far as to call him a future main event face, but he should easily slot into the upper midcard face slot.

· Registered
140 Posts
Bateman has an amazign ability to connect with the crowd, his ability to get almost any chant going is mind boggling, however can he carry a brand? i doubt it but probably a great upper mid-carder

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Bateman has an amazign ability to connect with the crowd, his ability to get almost any chant going is mind boggling, however can he carry a brand? i doubt it but probably a great upper mid-carder
No Rookie in the world can carry a brand, that is for vets.

I truly think he can be a huge babyface.

Entertaining, good mic skills, fantastic look.

Chances of him being pushed as the next Hogan is extremely likely. Whether he's charasmatic enough to pull it off is another question

· Registered
1,849 Posts
He could be....the 'One'.

I think Bateman and Barrett are easily the best guys to ever come out of NXT. I think he'll win this season but I think he should be drafted to SD! after teaming with Bryan and slowly become one of the top babyfaces. That way he won't end up partnering up with Santino every Monday night.

· FOTC
12,782 Posts
I keep reading that Daniel Bryan is the reason that Bateman is doing do well. Well that depends on how you look at it. Bateman has been getting over because of his humor and personality. I do think though that one of the reasons why Bateman is so over is because his pro, Daniel Bryan, doesn't attract too much attention from the crowds. So the focus is squarely on Bateman. If I were WWE I would find it a bit odd that Bateman is getting better responses from the crowds than what Bryan gets.

· pretending to be nice
11,713 Posts
Yeah he's got potential to be a mega face. However... WWE's track record with NXT faces is pretty terrible. Daniel Bryan got turned into a joke character with terrible entrance music, Kaval got quickly released and Darren Young is jobbing in Superstars. Well okay, to be fair, none of them are as good as Derrick Bateman, but WWE still could have done MUCH better job with them.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Yeah he's got potential to be a mega face. However... WWE's track record with NXT faces is pretty terrible. Daniel Bryan got turned into a joke character with terrible entrance music, Kaval got quickly released and Darren Young is jobbing in Superstars. Well okay, to be fair, none of them are as good as Derrick Bateman, but WWE still could have done MUCH better job with them.
I heard their giving Bryan the Benoit/Morrison treatment, slowly but surely building him until he finally wins the big one. Besides he hasn't been pinned for ages if I remember plus he's actually over for someone who isn't well known by the younger audience. I have faith Derrick Bateman will do very well for himself.

· Registered
140 Posts
No Rookie in the world can carry a brand, that is for vets.

I truly think he can be a huge babyface.

Entertaining, good mic skills, fantastic look.

Chances of him being pushed as the next Hogan is extremely likely. Whether he's charasmatic enough to pull it off is another question
i meant i don't think he can carry a brand ever, obviously he can't right now

i'd love to be proven wrong though becasue i do enjoy his work

· Registered
554 Posts
He's my favourite rookie to come out of NXT, and that's saying something as I marked hard for Wade Barrett.

I like his mans man/goofy gimmick, as long as it keeps a serious edge in the ring he could be the next big thing on Smackdown!.

· Registered
454 Posts
Daniel Bryan, doesn't attract too much attention from the crowds. So the focus is squarely on Bateman. If I were WWE I would find it a bit odd that Bateman is getting better responses from the crowds than what Bryan gets.
This is an honest assessment, IMHO, Bateman has come on a bomb, and has oodles of personality; he would have come through successfully with any pro as his mentor. This on-going focus on Daniel Bryan, trying to make out that he is something he is not is tiresome. Switch over to Bateman, you guys, follow him instead; he deserves it.

· Registered
4,924 Posts
He kinda reminds me of Hogan. Probably won't ever be that big, but I could see him being top face on Smackdown in a couple of years. Especially with the older guys fading away.

And I think having Daniel Bryan as his mentor is perfect. The Submission Wrestling angle is great, and it finally makes NXT look legit. Like a pro is really teaching the rookie something. I hope he comes out of NXT with his own submission finisher.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,895 Posts
He has a lot of tools but I could see creative somehow messing up his gimmick. Ironically, as he's pushed, he'd probably lose some of the attributes that get him over in the first place.

However, I'd enjoy being proven wrong.

· Registered
418 Posts
It´s been 10 weeks, and I can say without the shadow of a doubt that Bateman has "Face of the Company" potential.

If I had to name one wrestler in the last 5 years who deserves to be "protected", it´s him.

· Registered
817 Posts
He's funny yet can be serious. He's great, my favourite in WWE right now! I think the Bryan/Bateman bromance has really helped, though.

Very comfortable on the mic too.

Being used in a Raw promo, although a pointless jokey one about Mark Henry cologne, only confirms where his future will be, on the main roster.

· Registered
905 Posts
It's way too early to say Bateman will be the next super face in the WWE. He has good mic skills, some charisma, and a unique look. We haven't seen a ton of his in ring ability so I will reserve judgement on that end. I think he has potential to be a strong face, but he needs to tone down his goofiness a little bit if he has any hope of really being taken seriously.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.