Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine if Punk never fights for the UFC or gets his shit knocked out in the 1st match.
Vince and Punk work out a deal and Punk is signed back to the WWE.
Again, this is obviously all hypothetical ..

But, can a failed MMA career post CM Punk reach the levels of popularity he did earlier?
Will the crowd welcome and accept him rising back to that level?

MODS: Don't even think of closing this thread or merging this with another one. It's a humble request. The best in the world (in pro-wrestling) deserves this thread, if we can have 10 Roman Reigns thread everyday.

·
No sir, not getting out of this chair.
678 Posts
Re: Can CM Punk reach him Summer of Punk popularity after a failed MMA career?

Will the crowd welcome and accept him rising back to that level?
The crowd would explode the second his music hit, even louder than they did for Shane-O Mac, they chant his name every chance they get, so yeah, I'm pretty sure they'd welcome him back instantly

·
FOTC
10,464 Posts
The crowd will explode if he comes back. The big feud is Punk vs Reigns. Even though there's not much information about it I know the two hate each other. Punk knew what he was doing when he did that interview with the infamous "Make Roman look strong" comment. The timing of that interview didn't help Reigns at all.

I don't care for Punk personally but the guy is the best wrestler I've seen with this current era of stars. He's the best counter wrestler I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
He would be super over, and if the WWE booked him strong then he would be the biggest thing in the WWE again.

The best storyline would be Steph screwing over Shane, then Vince giving them a brand split and Shane with his first pick saying he picked a free agent, CM PUNK.
It could be huge

·
The Last Dragon
14,488 Posts
Would love to see him again, but at the same time I hope he won't come back.

·
Registered
991 Posts
As others have stated, his return would be greeted with an enormous pop, especially if they did it right (in Chicago, unannounced). But whenever someone comes back, the audience just blows their load the first couple of appearances and then the talent settles into mediocrity, unless WWE puts effort into maintaining their momentum. In my opinion, Vince would love to take CM Punk back just to put WWE over and then let his following tire of him.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
As others have stated, he's return would be greeted with an enormous pop, especially if they did it right (in Chicago, unannounced). But whenever someone comes back, the audience just blows their load the first couple of appearances and then the talent settles into mediocrity, unless WWE puts effort into maintaining their momentum. In my opinion, Vince would love to take CM Punk back just to put WWE over and then let his following tire of him.
that is because the WWE after the first few weeks has nothing for them, hell look at the bullet club, then debuted and after the first night they didnt know what to do with theme.

It was like the summer of Punk, they did a great job until he won the title and left then they didnt know what to do and they just ruined it b having him lose to ADR then HHH then start a feud with Nash . It was dumb. Summer of Punk could have gone on for at least a year with great feuds but the HHH had to fuck it up

·
FOTC
10,464 Posts
The crowd would be excited to see him back, but I don't think he could sustain that level. Remember,when he left, his overness,while high,didn't compare to the Summer of Punk.
His overness started to slip in 2014. While many were upset that Rock ended his reign I think a lot of fans were satisfied overall. This is why when he left they turned their focus to pushing Bryan as the next guy. Just look at the 2014 Royal Rumble: the crowd didn't care at all about Punk — they cared more about a guy that wasn't even in the Rumble. I still believe that Bryan's popularity had something to do with Punk leaving.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
193 Posts
They should welcome him back and give him a 434 day reign. I can't think of something that would bore me more..

Oh actually I can. His original long and boring title reign

·
Registered
101 Posts
Vince will invite him back with open arms and allow him to flourish up until the point where he has to make Roman look reeeeeally straaaawng.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
"Punk has been working hard but he has not progressed well as a fighter. Punk has participated in live sparring sessions at the gym and there have been a lot of rumors about how he looked but it's been consistently said that he has not fared well. Mickey Gall, will probably run through him. It was pointed out that while there will obviously be a lot of buzz when the fight date is announced, UFC has kept quiet on Punk and lately he's kept a low profile, away from the media. The main reason behind signing a rookie fighter like Punk was the major media attention." Meltzer.
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0514/611741/cm-punk-reportedly-not-progressing-well-as-a-fighter/
He will never fight in the UFC. It was a PR stunt but I think he might have to wait a bit before returning to the WWE. HHH and Vince are still butthurt.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Still talking about this fool?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.