Wrestling Forum banner

Do you think Cena can be a convincing heel?

• Yes, he's good enough to pull it off.

Votes: 58 76.3%
  • Perhaps, if handled correctly.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • No, he's just too natural a face.

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, there's been a lot of talk lately about now being the perfect time to start laying the groundwork for Cena turning heel somewhere down the line. (reluctantly joining Nexus, Raw roster starting to turn on him, etc.) Sure, this sounds fine, as it's probably the one thing that the majority of the IWC can agree on, and Cena turning heel could be the reincarnation of Hogan's heel turn, as far as the impact goes.

I just see one thing wrong. Can Cena even do it? Oh yeah, he's done it before, but hell, it was a white rapper gimmick. Of course that's getting booed.

Here's two things that I feel may work against him:

.He doesn't look like a heel.
Orton? Yes.
Sheamus? Hell yeah.
Punk? Yup.
Barrett? Duh.
Miz? :agree:
Cena? Ummm......:side:

.His entire persona may have to go out the window, essentially leaving him as a blank slate. Building him up can take months.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
He's done it before.

What he't not good at is being a ref.

·
Childish Gambino Is #1
6,242 Posts
Dude, it's just Basic Thuganomics, *George Lopez voice* HE'S GOT THIS!

But seriously, I don't want him to just be his old heel gimmick.
I think they can/will do something special with his turn and character.
There is so much depth they can put in it.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,091 Posts
Yeah. Cena can be a good heel. In fact, considering the status he enjoys and the history he has behind his character, I'd say he can be a great heel.

Whether or not this is the right time to start turning him is another matter entirely.

WWE is currently "tweenerizing" Cena. He's still a full-fledged babyface, but they're making Randy Orton cater and pander to the fans more by the week (the latest Raw saw him broadly smile repeatedly, act like a chum of R-Truth's for some vague reason and continuously raise his arms in attracting the fans' cheers whenever he hit an offensive move in the ring). Orton's being positioned as the straight babyface in this scenario. Of course, Wade Barrett remains the evil heel.

I've maintained all along, since Wrestlemania XXVI, at least, that the question of Cena's potential heel turn rests with how consistently over Orton can become as a face. It looked good for about six months but when they threw the WWE Championship at Orton, his momentum with the fans hit a brick wall. He's still getting okay reactions but it's nothing like it was only six weeks ago. Some of it is the natural letdown following the chase's conclusion, some of it may or may not say something about Orton as a babyface in the first place and some of it has a lot to do with the emphasis shifting practically the moment Orton actually won the championship to the CeNexus saga, in which he's playing a relative Macguffin.

The worse Orton performs as a face, the more unlikely a Cena heel turn becomes in my honest opinion. It's simply horrible business to turn your top babyface, the guy who has become synonymous with the company in the eyes of the fan-base, media and industry, without a viable replacement for him in that role the moment he turns. If Orton can't turn around his loss of momentum, things become murky real fast.

Nevertheless, I personally do not think WWE is turning Cena. If this is the groundwork for a Cena heel turn, it's like the ceremonial act of breaking the ground before creating a brand new skyscraper. If I'm WWE, I happily milk babyface Cena for all he's worth for a good while longer, while supplying the motivation for his inevitable heel turn now. In other words, manufacture the kind of backstory that was readymade for Hulk Hogan when he turned heel in 1996 (i.e., the WCW fans never truly adopting him as their own after he jumped from WWF/E), so when Cena does turn heel, in say, 2011 or 2012 or even 2014, you've established a rationale for it well ahead of time. Of course, for a guy who's been despised by a vocal group of the fan-base, WWE already has some logical backstory provided by the fans.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
He's got enough charisma to pull off a Bizarro if you get what i mean.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
He absolutley can , have you seen him when he destroyed Jericho/Darren Young/Michael Tarver with steel steps and all that good shit?

*George Lopez voice* HE'S GOT THIS!
:agree:

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Yeah. Cena can be a good heel. In fact, considering the status he enjoys and the history he has behind his character, I'd say he can be a great heel.

Whether or not this is the right time to start turning him is another matter entirely.

WWE is currently "tweenerizing" Cena. He's still a full-fledged babyface, but they're making Randy Orton cater and pander to the fans more by the week (the latest Raw saw him broadly smile repeatedly, act like a chum of R-Truth's for some vague reason and continuously raise his arms in attracting the fans' cheers whenever he hit an offensive move in the ring). Orton's being positioned as the straight babyface in this scenario. Of course, Wade Barrett remains the evil heel.

I've maintained all along, since Wrestlemania XXVI, at least, that the question of Cena's potential heel turn rests with how consistently over Orton can become as a face. It looked good for about six months but when they threw the WWE Championship at Orton, his momentum with the fans hit a brick wall. He's still getting okay reactions but it's nothing like it was only six weeks ago. Some of it is the natural letdown following the chase's conclusion, some of it may or may not say something about Orton as a babyface in the first place and some of it has a lot to do with the emphasis shifting practically the moment Orton actually won the championship to the CeNexus saga, in which he's playing a relative Macguffin.

The worse Orton performs as a face, the more unlikely a Cena heel turn becomes in my honest opinion. It's simply horrible business to turn your top babyface, the guy who has become synonymous with the company in the eyes of the fan-base, media and industry, without a viable replacement for him in that role the moment he turns. If Orton can't turn around his loss of momentum, things become murky real fast.

Nevertheless, I personally do not think WWE is turning Cena. If this is the groundwork for a Cena heel turn, it's like the ceremonial act of breaking the ground before creating a brand new skyscraper. If I'm WWE, I happily milk babyface Cena for all he's worth for a good while longer, while supplying the motivation for his inevitable heel turn now. In other words, manufacture the kind of backstory that was readymade for Hulk Hogan when he turned heel in 1996 (i.e., the WCW fans never truly adopting him as their own after he jumped from WWF/E), so when Cena does turn heel, in say, 2011 or 2012 or even 2014, you've established a rationale for it well ahead of time. Of course, for a guy who's been despised by a vocal group of the fan-base, WWE already has some logical backstory provided by the fans.
I made a thread on Randy Orton a week or so ago where i said the exact same thing about Randy Orton being able to maintain how hot he was and that every time he get's a major push he loses all the steam after about six months to the point where he get's ok reaction's rather than the HUGE pop's he was getting from Extreme Rules leading up to SummerSlam. The reality is that right now it would be a HUGE risk in turning John Cena heel because Randy Orton is so inconsistent in staying over as a face and keeping any momentum that he has after six months which just can't happen if he is to be pushed as the top face with John Cena turning heel.

Look at last night's Raw and it was clear that Randy Orton got a good pop when his music hit but then when he started smiling and lifting up the belt the reaction was average at best whereas when John Cena's music hit he got a HUGE pop with a few boo's from the usual suspects. Throughout the whole promo with Randy Orton, John Cena and Wade Barrett it was John Cena who was getting the pop's and had the crowd eating up everything he had said and it was Wade Barrett who was getting a lot of heat whilst Randy Orton was kind of just there along for the ride.

One thing that i did notice though last night was the Randy Orton was the main focus of the show and the fact that Cena/Nexus has been the main focus since the Hell in a Cell PPV is something that people have been using an excuse for why Randy Orton has run out of steam but last night it was more about Randy Orton than John Cena and The Nexus but yet Randy Orton still got the same reaction as he has been getting for the last couple of months which is nothing in comparison to John Cena. If anything John Cena is probably the most popular he has been in a few years due to the fact that WWE have actually given him a storyline where he can show the depth to his character rather than booking him in the same way every week.

Back on topic though and the answer to the question by the thread starter would be yes John Cena can be a good heel and i would even go as far as to say that potentially right now John Cena has to potential to be the biggest heel we have seen in wrestling for a very long time because of his stature in the industry and his mainstream appeal. Think how many children look up to John Cena and how well he is known outside of wrestling and it is clear that his heel turn could realistically be the biggest since Hulk Hogan in 1996 because even Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't have as many children behind him as John Cena because Stone Cold Steve Austin was geared more towards an older audience.

The impact that a John Cena heel turn would have in WWE would be bigger than Stone Cold Steve Austin's in my opinion both long term and short term because for me short term WWE ruined Stone Cold Steve Austin's heel turn the minute they put him alongside Triple H as it made them equal as top heel and long term they killed everything about his character that we had seen over the previous four years and also it didn't really change anything as far as the company goes other than the top star was now a heel.

With John Cena as the top heel it would change everything because they could no longer put out the same product as they currently do as Randy Orton can not cater to the children like John Cena can and also John Cena will have to do some truly despicable things to maintain staying as a hated heel by the children who have already seen him do bad things to people as a face against the likes of Edge, Randy Orton and Batista but yet he stayed HUGELY popular with them so he will have to do things that can not be done yet in this current product to stay as a heel which in my opinion will see us go from a PG production to something a little more like how things were in between 2002 and 2006.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes he can. He was a great heel back in the day with a different character. He can certainly become a monster heel but I think we are still a few years away from the moment he finally turns a full fledged heel. So let's not get our hopes high.

Cena is the biggest draw and makes them the most money by far today (no one since Austin has made them this amount of money). Therefore Vince and the management will only turn him heel once they are convinced that it is good for the business.

Until Orton, The Miz or anyone else can prove they are worthy replacements as the top babyface, Cena won't turn heel (they might tease it here and there though).

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Good booking will have to be his friend.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
When he does turn heel i hope it will be epic :p

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
He'd do fine, since he's charismatic, and has been a heel before. However, NO ONE is in a position to take his babyface position. Orton is a joke and no where near Cena right now. They appeal to different segments of the population, and Orton can easily lose his reaction (Cena always gets a reaction, but not quite so with Orton).

This isn't the Attitude era; the WWE needs a babyface to lead the company, and Orton isn't even a babyface, so people that are saying that Orton can take Cena's position are obviously high on crack.

Cena will either go heel when a true replacement babyface shows up (I don't think there's any in the company ATM) or when the WWE shifts to more mature programming for older audiences, then they can use a rebel face to take on the main face to counteract Cena's heel character.

What's more likely to happen is that heels will be groomed (such as Barett) to counteract Cena's face character and create feuds this way. Then Cena will still make money and possibly elevate the heel as well.

Finally, I don't think Orton will be a permanent face. This time next year, Orton will either be a ME heel on Smackdown, or a heel on RAW. Since Edge is taking the Rebel face on Smackdown, I don't think Orton would work there either as a face. Since both shows need ME heels, and Orton's slowly losing steam due to a shallow character, I expect him to eventually turn heel again.

EDIT: To clarify, the reason why I think Orton's face character is losing steam is because all he has is his "viper" persona. He doesn't have the mic skills to back it up, and he isn't a high/flyer or a druggie, so he can't be the next Jeff Hardy either.

·
A game brought
1,013 Posts
It depends on the material he is given to work with.

He'd do fine, since he's charismatic, and has been a heel before. However, NO ONE is in a position to take his babyface position. Orton is a joke and no where near Cena right now. They appeal to different segments of the population, and Orton can easily lose his reaction (Cena always gets a reaction, but not quite so with Orton).

This isn't the Attitude era; the WWE needs a babyface to lead the company, and Orton isn't even a babyface, so people that are saying that Orton can take Cena's position are obviously high on crack.

Cena will either go heel when a true replacement babyface shows up (I don't think there's any in the company ATM) or when the WWE shifts to more mature programming for older audiences, then they can use a rebel face to take on the main face to counteract Cena's heel character.

What's more likely to happen is that heels will be groomed (such as Barett) to counteract Cena's face character and create feuds this way. Then Cena will still make money and possibly elevate the heel as well.

Finally, I don't think Orton will be a permanent face. This time next year, Orton will either be a ME heel on Smackdown, or a heel on RAW. Since Edge is taking the Rebel face on Smackdown, I don't think Orton would work there either as a face. Since both shows need ME heels, and Orton's slowly losing steam due to a shallow character, I expect him to eventually turn heel again.

EDIT: To clarify, the reason why I think Orton's face character is losing steam is because all he has is his "viper" persona. He doesn't have the mic skills to back it up, and he isn't a high/flyer or a druggie, so he can't be the next Jeff Hardy either.
Orton may be a better heel than face, but to say he is a "joke" defies reality. He may not have gotten consistent huge pops since becoming a champ, but last night during his match he got great pops. He, like Cena, just need to show off his depth as a character like he did last night by using Truth against Cena.
His mic skills are fine. The people who say otherwise are the ones on crack.

·
GOAT
4,523 Posts
I think given that Orton/R-Truth are both babyfaces, and both over with the crowd, both have brought Cena's integrity into question in recent weeks, I think Creative could be setting up that Cena is cast out by the entire roster (babyfaces mainly) if he fucks Orton over, and is given the cold shoulder by pretty much everyone, offended by this he re-joins Nexus full time. Something crazy like that anyway.

Back to the question at hand, I think anyone can make a good heel if they're booked right, unless of course you're Eddie Guerrero, and you'll get cheered for doing anything! A few friends of mine think that the opportunity has been and gone for a Cena heel turn, but I still think that, if WWE gets it right, it could be as big as, if not bigger than Hogan's NWO turn.

·
Really too good to wrestle in front of all you pri
1,660 Posts
I don't think it really matters whether he can play it. If it happens he won't be able to just suddenly change his mind, kids aren't stupid and they'll (the average 4-11 year old American) be hurt that their hero John Cena will be doing bad things. I think it's the same as if someone eventually retires the Undertaker or beats the Streak, Cena's gonna get instant heat the moment he even thinks about betraying his beliefs.

Plus he's done it before and was pretty awesome at it, both as the Ruthless Agression guy he was very early on in WWE and the Dr of Thuganomics.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Of course he can be a good heel ,once he turns heel no matter what he does he's gonna get insane heat alias Hogan ,because he was so over as a face.I personally think some of John's best work was done as a young ,cocky heel when he first debuted.He seemed a lot more comfortable on the mic and the heel role suited he's persona perfectly.It will be one of the biggest heel turns ever and I personally can't wait ,Cena's character has been stale for years.A new persona and fresh fueds would do him the world of good.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
i think Cena can be a good heel i mean hes a lame babayface only cos he has had the same character for years. If they give him a heel gimmick i think Cena would pull it off great though his movies suck he is a good performer with great talking ability

·
Registered
621 Posts
Don't really care, he bores me to death - both as a face and as a heel. But if that means less time seeing him wrestle in the ring - I'm O.K. with it.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
I have no doubt that character wise, Cena will make a great heel because he more than has the talent to pull it off. It absolutely will not happen until they have a replacement ready and waiting to go though. My only fear is that his matches might suffer because he will have to change to working as the heel and we haven't really seen him do that yet. He'll have to control the match and put the beat down on the 'face in peril' instead of actually being the 'face in peril' which should actually be quite interesting to see. But like I said, I don't see it happening until they have somebody who can step in and fill his shoes.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
It depends on the material he is given to work with.

Orton may be a better heel than face, but to say he is a "joke" defies reality. He may not have gotten consistent huge pops since becoming a champ, but last night during his match he got great pops. He, like Cena, just need to show off his depth as a character like he did last night by using Truth against Cena.
His mic skills are fine. The people who say otherwise are the ones on crack.
They're about at the level of Kane. Also good pops on one night ≠ being over (think William Regal in England).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts