Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the past year AEW has came into the wrestling world and immediately stamped its authority as the number 2 wrestling company in the world. In 2019 they had a huge year with double or nothing in May of that year being a big success for a brand new company. And then debuting there weekly show 'Dynamite' in October and being the first wrestling show on TNT since nitro 20 years earlier the last legitimate threat for Vince McMahon and who stomped the WWF/E for almost 2 years in the ratings. Right now dynamite is on Wednesdays and is competing with NXT the 3rd brand in the Vince McMahon empire. But my point being with WWE losing ratings seemingly week on there big shows RAW and Smackdown doing some of the worst numbers ever dropping as low as 1.6 million which is the height of TNA 2010 territory which once upon a time wwe would of laughed at because they was pulling 3.5 million at that point and stomping tna but can AEW turn the tide like in the late 90s like WCW and take over as the number one company in wrestling. The things I think they need to do is:

1. When the crowds return really get into long term storytelling 3-6 month angles with certain characters like they did with MJF And Cody. Produce a well thought out angle with each week building the story more and Heating it up

2. Focus on people who are TV ready. I understand alot of the guys in aew are still tryna get use to being on weekly tv after spending much of there wrestling career on the indies and not having the luxury of a developmental to help them become TV ready but some of the guys and girls on the roster still don't look T.V ready and are still in the indie wrestling mindset and some of the talent also is kinda green still. So for now I think they should focus on the people who are getting it when it comes to being on T.V and keep the talent that isn't quite yet on dark.

3. Don't develop a second show for TV. A lot of people say when WCW developed 'thunder' it was a big hindrance to WCW because it wasn't needed and it was just a money pit for a show people didn't really care about. I think there fine with the one weekly show and it keeps fans wanting more but when a second show is brought to the table storylines end up getting complicated and messy and fans don't necessarily wanna watch 2 shows if the content on the second show is weaker than the first. I think what there doing with 'Dark' on YouTube is the best way to do it if they wanna showcase the wrestlers who arn't on TV I think more people will likely watch it on there then another weekly show on T.V.

4. Bigger promotion. I know nowadays with social media and having big following Helps with promoting whatever your promoting. But I feel like aew need to capture a casual audience and maybe get the people who WWE have lost over the years over to dynamite. I know the style of wrestling of aew and in general nowadays isn't for everyone the business has changed and evolved some say for the better wrestling today is a lot more athletic based with a lot more high spots which AEW really tries to push because there audience likes that. But I feel to capture more casual fans they need to build real stand out stars and stand out segments were people will come across flicking through the channels one night and think this looks interesting let me tune in to see how this plays out and then promote the angles and then stars like there's no tomorrow.

But as of right now AEW is still very new and with the pandemic issues coming into the world only 6 months into there tv run being a hindrance aew still have work to do but in wrestling over the years it only takes one segment one angle one night sometimes for something to really catch steam and for the tide to change so hopefully we see AEW continue grow and see what the standings are in say 2-3 years time

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If AEW could become a way way superior show, I still doubt they would ever catch the WWE juggernaut in viewership.

·
13,281 Posts
WWE will kill itself before another company does. AEW doesn't NEED to be a threat. Just present a good alternative from sports entertainment bullshit.

Like you are never going to beat McDonald's but there's better take out options. Same with blockbusters, things like fast and furious are successful but they are movies that cater to the masses. Whereas there's better movies under the radar.

Just like pop music is rarely good and there's better unsigned acts

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
15,350 Posts
If they do become a threat it won't be for a long time. WWE will kill itself first.

Not with the current roster full of geeks
It's so funny how you can praise WWE in that section and say that terrible excuse of an Extreme Rules PPV is "must-see", but come in here hot all the time.

·
Premium Member
WF Legend
7,729 Posts
No.

I don't know the nice way to say this but AEW doesn't really have a true idea of what they're doing or have even the basics down. They don't even know how to format their weekly television program which is really basic first year TV school stuff. You notice how they always cut out to commercial during a match now when they didn't used to every time before? That's because they either don't know that you go to commercial on a high or they don't know how to do it.

So for example, maybe you have Brian Cage in the ring this past week talking shit about Moxley and then just before going into commercial break Moxley arrives (I know it's impossible but bear with me here). JR says "Ladies and Gentleman Moxley has arrived and he's on his way to the ring to confront Brian Cage and Taz with that metal pipe! Don't you dare change that channel!". You're going to break with a big star heading to the ring and the audience know that shit is going to go down on the other side of the break. They might still channel surf but if they're even remotely interested they're with you at the end of the break.

What AEW does currently is picture in picture wrestling match. Great to use this if you have a particularly awesome match going on but it's used every match now no matter how boring or shitty. They don't know these TV production basics and nobody seems very into the idea of learning them.

The angles and segments are often putrid with very little thought put into them. Darby dived into a foam pit this week on TV. Who cares? Janela and Kiss we got a week or two of vignettes and never any follow up so who cares? Even the guys they do love to focus around are in stories that have brief moments of being good but quickly die down. Who can tell me without Google why Brian Cage and Moxley are so pissed at one another? Only one segment comes to mind and that's the car park deal. Why were Hager and Cody chomping at the bit to fight one another? Janela/Archer? MJF/Jungle? None of these matches had true reasons for occurring and most were randomly tossed together a week or two in advance for very little reason.

They haven't even hired the right wrestlers to reach their goals. Orange Cassidy, Marko Stunt, Luther, Janela and a heap of other awful wrestlers are all employed by AEW but the likes of Kross, Scarlett, Hammerstone, Dashwood, Tessa Blanchard, Fatu, Davey Boy Smith Jr, Pillman Jr etc remain either unsigned or in another company.

Then you have the fan base and not to shit on people for how they are but if you watch an AEW show and look at their crowd it looks like a My Little Pony convention. It's mainly all white men in their mid thirties or early forties who look like they got bullied in high school. Compare that to the crowds of the late 90's/early 00's where you had hot women, cool looking young people, families and they were all diverse. Black people, Asian people, White people, Middle Eastern people as opposed to just AEW now which is white dudes. There is nothing appealing in my opinion for people to go "Aw shit. I have to be there!".

You can just tell that they don't plan anything and that starts with the very basic TV formatting stuff. It's just tossed together for no rhyme or reason, angles are quickly forgotten about (Why haven't we heard from Mike Tyson in like 8 weeks?), shit is unexplained and remains that way, very talented people are stuck deep in the midcard because the booking is so shitty etc etc etc.

Fix all that and maybe then things might improve but honestly we're almost a year into AEW's existence right now and things gradually are getting worse and worse. Ratings are dropping, NXT is now winning week in and week out (BUT TEH DEMOS!!111!11!) and even the biggest fans on here are now beginning to question stuff pretty much weekly. Give it another 6-12 months and the fan base will turn on AEW and then there will be some major problems.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No.

I don't know the nice way to say this but AEW doesn't really have a true idea of what they're doing or have even the basics down. They don't even know how to format their weekly television program which is really basic first year TV school stuff. You notice how they always cut out to commercial during a match now when they didn't used to every time before? That's because they either don't know that you go to commercial on a high or they don't know how to do it.

So for example, maybe you have Brian Cage in the ring this past week talking shit about Moxley and then just before going into commercial break Moxley arrives (I know it's impossible but bear with me here). JR says "Ladies and Gentleman Moxley has arrived and he's on his way to the ring to confront Brian Cage and Taz with that metal pipe! Don't you dare change that channel!". You're going to break with a big star heading to the ring and the audience know that shit is going to go down on the other side of the break. They might still channel surf but if they're even remotely interested they're with you at the end of the break.

What AEW does currently is picture in picture wrestling match. Great to use this if you have a particularly awesome match going on but it's used every match now no matter how boring or shitty. They don't know these TV production basics and nobody seems very into the idea of learning them.

The angles and segments are often putrid with very little thought put into them. Darby dived into a foam pit this week on TV. Who cares? Janela and Kiss we got a week or two of vignettes and never any follow up so who cares? Even the guys they do love to focus around are in stories that have brief moments of being good but quickly die down. Who can tell me without Google why Brian Cage and Moxley are so pissed at one another? Only one segment comes to mind and that's the car park deal. Why were Hager and Cody chomping at the bit to fight one another? Janela/Archer? MJF/Jungle? None of these matches had true reasons for occurring and most were randomly tossed together a week or two in advance for very little reason.

They haven't even hired the right wrestlers to reach their goals. Orange Cassidy, Marko Stunt, Luther, Janela and a heap of other awful wrestlers are all employed by AEW but the likes of Kross, Scarlett, Hammerstone, Dashwood, Tessa Blanchard, Fatu, Davey Boy Smith Jr, Pillman Jr etc remain either unsigned or in another company.

Then you have the fan base and not to shit on people for how they are but if you watch an AEW show and look at their crowd it looks like a My Little Pony convention. It's mainly all white men in their mid thirties or early forties who look like they got bullied in high school. Compare that to the crowds of the late 90's/early 00's where you had hot women, cool looking young people, families and they were all diverse. Black people, Asian people, White people, Middle Eastern people as opposed to just AEW now which is white dudes. There is nothing appealing in my opinion for people to go "Aw shit. I have to be there!".

You can just tell that they don't plan anything and that starts with the very basic TV formatting stuff. It's just tossed together for no rhyme or reason, angles are quickly forgotten about (Why haven't we heard from Mike Tyson in like 8 weeks?), shit is unexplained and remains that way, very talented people are stuck deep in the midcard because the booking is so shitty etc etc etc.

Fix all that and maybe then things might improve but honestly we're almost a year into AEW's existence right now and things gradually are getting worse and worse. Ratings are dropping, NXT is now winning week in and week out (BUT TEH DEMOS!!111!11!) and even the biggest fans on here are now beginning to question stuff pretty much weekly. Give it another 6-12 months and the fan base will turn on AEW and then there will be some major problems.
I agree there lacking star power. 49 year old pass his best Chris Jericho is the best they got right now. Because omega since he's been there hasn't been a good fit his hype has seriously died down because he's not a star in America he was a big name in Japan but in America unless your a hard-core fan your not gonna give a damn about him especially when he's not being portrayed as something special on tv. As of right now there trying to hard to get every body over and position everyone as equal because your getting guys you should be pushing hard having competitive matches with guys you shoudnt. Lance archer and Joey jannela went 12 mins and it should of been 2 mins because I can't take jannela and archer having a competitive match seriously

·
13,281 Posts
No.

The late 90s early 2000s crowd were terrible! This is the same crowd who allowed Fred durst to exist! AEW should be aiming for the njpw/nwa type crowd. Not attitude era geeks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The late 90s early 2000s crowd were terrible! This is the same crowd who allowed Fred durst to exist! AEW should be aiming for the njpw/nwa type crowd. Not attitude era geeks
Disagree. Crowds in the late 90s early 2000s looked cool they wasn't there to critique matches and start chants to put themselve over they were just loud and excited and it looked like a place you had to be nowadays crowds are full of smart fans and people wonder why the product is in the worst state it's ever been

·
Premium Member
WF Legend
7,729 Posts
I agree there lacking star power. 49 year old pass his best Chris Jericho is the best they got right now. Because omega since he's been there hasn't been a good fit his hype has seriously died down because he's not a star in America he was a big name in Japan but in America unless your a hard-core fan your not gonna give a damn about him especially when he's not being portrayed as something special on tv. As of right now there trying to hard to get every body over and position everyone as equal because your getting guys you should be pushing hard having competitive matches with guys you shoudnt. Lance archer and Joey jannela went 12 mins and it should of been 2 mins because I can't take jannela and archer having a competitive match seriously
They have the star power though they just don't know how to use them or make these guys matter.

- Omega came in as arguably the biggest free agent in wrestling and has had a few big matches and won the tag titles therefore people think he's been pushed well. He could be a main event star for AEW right now fighting it out for the AEW World Title but he's nowhere near and is about 6 months off getting to that point (That's if they can build him there)

- Cody spent a decade in the WWE system and had a heap of goodwill from the fans for being used incorrectly. If anything he's been overpushed now though because even the biggest Cody fans have now kind of turned their backs on him.

- The Bucks went from being called the best tag team in the world to being just another tag team because of the booking in AEW.

- 6 months ago people on this forum were saying Brodie Lee is the best big man in wrestling and is going to be a great pick up for AEW. Look at him now.

- Moxley is allegedly being used worse than he was during his run as WWE Champion

- Even Jericho who was a legendary figure of the IWC and considered one of the best in the world is now a wrestler that nobody is really interested in and is tanking ratings.

They had that crowd, that crowd left.

And yeah, hot chicks ringside flashing the wrestlers and guys passionately believing in the stories and wrestlers was horrible My Little Pony convention goers are much better.

·
13,281 Posts
They have the star power though they just don't know how to use them or make these guys matter.

- Omega came in as arguably the biggest free agent in wrestling and has had a few big matches and won the tag titles therefore people think he's been pushed well. He could be a main event star for AEW right now fighting it out for the AEW World Title but he's nowhere near and is about 6 months off getting to that point (That's if they can build him there)

- Cody spent a decade in the WWE system and had a heap of goodwill from the fans for being used incorrectly. If anything he's been overpushed now though because even the biggest Cody fans have now kind of turned their backs on him.

- The Bucks went from being called the best tag team in the world to being just another tag team because of the booking in AEW.

- 6 months ago people on this forum were saying Brodie Lee is the best big man in wrestling and is going to be a great pick up for AEW. Look at him now.

- Moxley is allegedly being used worse than he was during his run as WWE Champion

- Even Jericho who was a legendary figure of the IWC and considered one of the best in the world is now a wrestler that nobody is really interested in and is tanking ratings.

They had that crowd, that crowd left.

And yeah, hot chicks ringside flashing the wrestlers and guys passionately believing in the stories and wrestlers was horrible My Little Pony convention goers are much better.
Dude I'm a grown up. If I wanted to see tits I'd chat up a woman. I wouldn't go to a wrestling show. And you do have passionate people in the audience. You just don't like them because they like orange Cassidy lol.

They promised a sports like product. They need to deliver on that. Wanting the attitude Era goes against what they promised.

@LateNightWrestling like I said that crowd allowed limp bizkit to exist. If they allowed Alice in chains to reach the prominence rollin has I'd forgive them. But nope it was limp bizkit. So fuck em. Any good they have is null and void

I was a ruthless aggression fan

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
The Attitude era fans were not geeks. The fans today are geeks. And I say that affectionately as someone that is a nerd.

No, they aren't a threat, and no, they can't be. They could have been, but my opinion is that ego -- both insecurity and arrogance in equal measure -- sabotaged them from the start. They thought it would be easy and automatic that viewers would jump and talent would come over ("The Ellis Island of Professional Wrestling"...for Matt Hardy), and they were also kind of scared about being shown up on their own show (the booking).

Vince McMahon just announced a match that is going to feature "ocular assault" at Extreme Rules. Ifs there a more clear indicator that he does not give a shit about improving his product? They do not care about 700k fans on a Wednesday, because they know that they are still the only place someone can truly become a star. AEW limited its reach and now there is a ceiling to EVERYONE there while they're there.

I appreciate the optimism. I was optimistic about living in a post-Vince world too. The WWE was definitely at its most vulnerable. They are a volume business now, so putting together two hours of priority programming for the wrestling fan a week should have been fucking easy. It's still on the marquee, and the audience propping up Vince with these TV rights deals still love it, and would no doubt respond to it being done better. But it's not. And now I'm worried that every other billionaire in the world is going to see what Shad Khan got out of this (a measly $135 million over three years or whatever) and assume this is the ceiling for anyone not Vince McMahon trying to get into that business. It's not. WWE is beatable, in terms of popularity and in delivering more valuable content. But it's not coming from AEW, who are way in over their heads, but given their position will be assumed to be industry experts and will likely colour everything for a good couple of decades.

Tony Khan, Cody, The Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, and you know what, Chris Jericho, all deserve to take the blame when Vince McMahon signs his next TV rights deals for even MORE money, his share prices go up, he becomes even richer and there is nothing on any sort of mainstream level to watch but WWE. Year five of the Drew McIntyre experiment. Make sure you enjoy MJF's scripted promos when he gets to the WWE.

·
Premium Member
WF Legend
7,729 Posts
Dude I'm a grown up. If I wanted to see tits I'd chat up a woman. I wouldn't go to a wrestling show. And you do have passionate people in the audience. You just don't like them because they like orange Cassidy lol.

They promised a sports like product. They need to deliver on that. Wanting the attitude Era goes against what they promised.
It's not about the girls flashing the wrestlers and seeing some boobs on TV or in an arena I don't care about that.

It's a very rockstar type of thing to have happen to you though. These women are willing to flash thousands of people just for 10-20 seconds of attention from a Triple H or a Shawn Michaels or whoever. These days most attractive women wouldn't be caught dead in a wrestling arena.

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
The best thing for wrestling is for WWE to feel the snap of their shrinking metrics and need to do kick themselves into gear to get the stock price back up -- meaning they'll actually try and make a star and put out good content, which they don't need to at this point. That, combined with them being able to pay their talent a lot of money over long-term deals, means that they can actually invest time and effort into making someone a mainstream name without too much fear of them taking it somewhere else.

This may filter out and make wrestling more interesting in general. Like how all those indies gather around WrestleMania. If the WWE shines itself up, maybe other promotions outside get a quick boost? And if WWE gets confident, it's possible that they release more talent that have potential or star power that can go somewhere else and help. You may get a new distant, distant #2 or #3 promotion.

If MLW or a completely separate party sponsored by a billionaire comes through and gets a good TV deal with some stars, we may see a new #2 that could actually do what AEW implied they would at the start -- "Change the World." This pressure (and embarrassment) if there's another promotion getting, say, over 1 million viewers on ESPN or Paramount, may just make Shad Khan go "Hang on, wtf is going on with mine then?" and demand some better results, which might see AEW get itself a bit more into shape.

·
13,281 Posts
It's not about the girls flashing the wrestlers and seeing some boobs on TV or in an arena I don't care about that.

It's a very rockstar type of thing to have happen to you though. These women are willing to flash thousands of people just for 10-20 seconds of attention from a Triple H or a Shawn Michaels or whoever. These days most attractive women wouldn't be caught dead in a wrestling arena.
I've seen plenty of attractive women at the Tokyo dome. I don't want to see the audiences revert back to the 90s where any old act could be popular.

I want the best of the best to be popular. And in order for that to happen, you need an audience that won't accept mediocrity.

You chase the ecw attitude era fan, then you get stuck with guys like new jack, sandman and balls. Instead of talent like cm punk, Daniel Bryan or Samoa Joe

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The best thing for wrestling is for WWE to feel the snap of their shrinking metrics and need to do kick themselves into gear to get the stock price back up -- meaning they'll actually try and make a star and put out good content, which they don't need to at this point. That, combined with them being able to pay their talent a lot of money over long-term deals, means that they can actually invest time and effort into making someone a mainstream name without too much fear of them taking it somewhere else.

This may filter out and make wrestling more interesting in general. Like how all those indies gather around WrestleMania. If the WWE shines itself up, maybe other promotions outside get a quick boost? And if WWE gets confident, it's possible that they release more talent that have potential or star power that can go somewhere else and help. You may get a new distant, distant #2 or #3 promotion.

If MLW or a completely separate party sponsored by a billionaire comes through and gets a good TV deal with some stars, we may see a new #2 that could actually do what AEW implied they would at the start -- "Change the World." This pressure (and embarrassment) if there's another promotion getting, say, over 1 million viewers on ESPN or Paramount, may just make Shad Khan go "Hang on, wtf is going on with mine then?" and demand some better results, which might see AEW get itself a bit more into shape.
MLW tbh is the product that if they had the right backing financially and the platform could really be a threat to wwe I agree with that 100 percent they have some really great talent there. Guys like Jacob Fatu and Alex hammerstone the von erichs who are there main guys are better then nearly everything on AEW. And they have court Bauer who knows how to write and layout a wrestling show so. But as of right now AEW has the backing and the platform so I think if they really took it seriously and get people in who can write shows and who can layout a wrestling show properly they could be a threat. But right now there having talent come up with there own angles and story's and letting them agent there own matches etc and because they haven't got tv experience what there doing isn't looking good on tv to a casual viewer tuning in. And I feel it's a waste because this is the first time in 25 years a wrestling show has been backed by wealthy people who have the money to really do something and they have a big t.v. Deal and I feel like so far it's being wasted because there not doing the correct things for tv there still stuck in this indie wrestling niche product mentality. I get there tryna be alternative and that's fine but when your alternative to the point where your not growing and you just have the same base audience then it's a problem because eventually the shine will wear off

·
Premium Member
WF Legend
7,729 Posts
I've seen plenty of attractive women at the Tokyo dome. I don't want to see the audiences revert back to the 90s where any old act could be popular.

I want the best of the best to be popular. And in order for that to happen, you need an audience that won't accept mediocrity.

You chase the ecw attitude era fan, then you get stuck with guys like new jack, sandman and balls. Instead of talent like cm punk, Daniel Bryan or Samoa Joe
You're not getting my point I'm simply saying the crowds from the late 90's and early 00's were cooler and were actually young people.

Attractive women on another continent to where AEW is pretty much proves my point. Japan still draws people in from all sorts of demographics because they generally treat wrestling seriously and it's still a cool thing to attend.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.