Wrestling Forum banner

Can a wrestler work without a finisher?

2203 Views 20 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  sexton_hardcastle
I am not a fan of Del Rio, for the most part I find him pretty boring, however in his two matches since his return, there is one thing I've liked and that is how he won his matches. He beat Cena with a back stabber and a kick to the face, and beat Neville by stomping him while he was hung up on the turn buckle. Two matches, two different ways of winning, and neither of them seemed to be "finishing moves" (the fact he used the same move to beat Ziggler not withstanding).

What I'm getting at is what if certain wrestlers, not all but those who are talented enough to do so didn't have a real finisher, what if they won matches in on a variety of moves because they have done so much damage that there opponent simply couldn't respond.

How many of you would find it unrealistic for Cesaro to win after a barage of uppercuts? Or Lesnar after several Germans? The list can go on.

I am not suggesting getting rid of finishers, but I think that if the match could end on some normal move, it would add an extra bit of unpredictability and tension.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· NO PAIN!
5,343 Posts
I am not a fan of Del Rio, for the most part I find him pretty boring, however in his two matches since his return, there is one thing I've liked and that is how he won his matches. He beat Cena with a back stabber and a kick to the face, and beat Neville by stomping him while he was hung up on the turn buckle. Two matches, two different ways of winning, and neither of them seemed to be "finishing moves" (the fact he used the same move to beat Ziggler not withstanding).

What I'm getting at is what if certain wrestlers, not all but those who are talented enough to do so didn't have a real finisher, what if they won matches in on a variety of moves because they have done so much damage that there opponent simply couldn't respond.

How many of you would find it unrealistic for Cesaro to win after a barage of uppercuts? Or Lesnar after several Germans? The list can go on.

I am not suggesting getting rid of finishers, but I think that if the match could end on some normal move, it would add an extra bit of unpredictability and tension.
Not only would it work, I think it's preferable to deemphasize finishers.

Having wrestlers win 99% of their matches via their finish has ruined the in ring product. It was so much better when guys won in a variety of ways. Ricky Steamboat never had a real finish, I mean the top rope cross body was kind of his thing but it was never his established finish.

It takes all the suspense out of a match when you know, no matter how devastating a move someone does, if it's not their finish then they won't get a pinfall out of it.

Bryan Danielson used to use a small package and other roll ups regularly in the indy's. He had cattle mutilation but that wasn't always used. He also had the repeated elbows which I thought kicked ass and wish he kept doing them in the WWE.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
Luke Harper came to mind with this thread, most of his regular moves look more devastating than his actual finisher :lol

I'd like it if they gave this concept a try, but I agree that not everyone could pull it off. I do think Harper, Samoa Joe, Del Rio, Cesaro, Lesnar, Apollo Crews, and Kevin Owens could all make your idea work if booked well though.

· Registered
10,455 Posts
I think bigger guys could pull it off with some power moves But a smaller technical wrestler would probably need one.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Most wrestlers don't rely on using their finisher to win a match but since a signature move doesn't get the job at times, it's what the wrestler uses to win.

· Registered
263 Posts
You say a wresltler without definitive finisher, i cant think of Damien Sandow.
But a champion or major star without a finisher winning, i cant.
its uncommon in WWE then watch when a wrestler win by a rare submission manauver, or finishers move from outside its always a good thing.
i remember Cena german suplexing CM punk from the turnbuckle and "wining" as something fresh

· Banned
2,235 Posts
Most wrestlers don't rely on using their finisher to win a match but since a signature move doesn't get the job at times, it's what the wrestler uses to win.
WHAT?

· a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
32,403 Posts
Well Del Rio is a strange case. He is a heel with a submission finisher and top of the card faces NEVER tap out so to get him a win over Cena it had to be by pinfall.

Now not sure why ADR didn;t tap out Neville with his submission finisher though.

· The Last Dragon
15,302 Posts
Good points made by OP and @The Rabid Wolverine

Of course he can, look not further than our face of the company. He ends many matches with a generic fireman's carry slam. :mj4

· Banned
1,973 Posts
I really do think finishers should be saved for RAW main events and PPV matches. Del Rio winning without the armbar was great, good old school booking. Bray should win more matches with the uranage, Ziggler with the fameasser, etc. It puts over their finishers when they finally use them.

· Premium Member
39,721 Posts
Yeah if booked correctly, but WWE booking these days is not so good :maisie3

· Back where we belong!
3,185 Posts
It's 2015 and 95% of matches which take place in a WWE ring insist on always ending from a finisher. Stupid ain't it? Hopefully winning through all of these different signatures becomes Del Rio's new thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.