Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Sorry but that’s hot garbage way of thinking.
Remember Enzo amore ? The guy was exactly this, a small 160-170 lbs guy who was actually really fun on the mic. Even went as far as main eventing raw when he won the Cruiserweight title.

But you really think you can somehow book that guy to dominate in feuds with Lesnar or Orton or Drew or Braun without making a mockery of the entire roster ??
Again, you can have a 145 pound champion, but that means that Lesnar, Orton, Karrion, Strowman, Lashley, and Elias cannot be on the same show as the 145 pound champion. Or at best, only one. And that person falls into the traditional Andre sort of roll.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I just see people all time say Adam cole is the future and stuff like that and comparing him to Michaels. Yes Michaels was small but he always about 195-200lbs and he looked like a athlete. Adam cole he's very thin and small he's like the bucks in terms of how he looks and I just can't take that seriously in terms of the guy you put on top of your show and say this is the reason why you should tune in. Guys like cole there is a place for them in the WWE but I just don't see that being the guy you build the show around for the next 5-10 years putting him feuds with guys literally twice his size and having him go over consistently. But maybe the business has changed to a point where that can happen and people will go with it but you also see the business is at a all time low and you do see people that don't wanna watch 150lb guys flipping and hitting superkicks
He's not the next Michaels. He's the next HHH (circa 2003 - 2005). That's how he was booked in NXT. That's how he'll be booked on RAW or Smackdown.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just see people all time say Adam cole is the future and stuff like that and comparing him to Michaels. Yes Michaels was small but he always about 195-200lbs and he looked like a athlete. Adam cole he's very thin and small he's like the bucks in terms of how he looks and I just can't take that seriously in terms of the guy you put on top of your show and say this is the reason why you should tune in. Guys like cole there is a place for them in the WWE but I just don't see that being the guy you build the show around for the next 5-10 years putting him feuds with guys literally twice his size and having him go over consistently. But maybe the business has changed to a point where that can happen and people will go with it but you also see the business is at a all time low and you do see people that don't wanna watch 150lb guys flipping and hitting superkicks
The only way a guy like him works as fotc is if wwe introduced a new world title for the smaller guys .

Make it a legit world title where if a guy wins it he is considered a world champion but put weight limit so he only fights guys simile size.

For example put guys like Aj Styles, D Bryan, Nakamura, Adam Cole, Finn Balor and Seth Rollins - legit main event guys in that division with their own world title , and then have another division for guys like Bray, Lesnar, Braun,Drew, Randy , Lashley , Corbin and so on.

Don’t make the smaller weight title into some joke title like the cruiserweight, make it look identical to the heavyweight title and make the RR winner having to main event mania for the title of his division.

You can still have inter division matches like personal feuds, tag teams etc , but as far as the championship goes , someone can only challenge for his weight division main title.

If they do this then sure, you can have a small guy as the face of the company without looking like a joke and still look very credible. It’s the only legit way to do it

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
He reminds me a lot - in terms of physique - of 1996 Sean Waltman.
And there was a place for waltman on the card he had some great matches and he's a 2x hall of famer lool but he was never the top top guy but he was the great worker who could get a match out of anyone

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The only way a guy like him works as fotc is if wwe introduced a new world title for the smaller guys .

Make it a legit world title where if a guy wins it he is considered a world champion but put weight limit so he only fights guys simile size.

For example put guys like Aj Styles, D Bryan, Nakamura, Adam Cole, Finn Balor and Seth Rollins - legit main event guys in that division with their own world title , and then have another division for guys like Bray, Lesnar, Braun,Drew, Randy , Lashley , Corbin and so on.

Don’t make the smaller weight title into some joke title like the cruiserweight, make it look identical to the heavyweight title and make the RR winner having to main event mania for the title of his division.

You can still have inter division matches like personal feuds, tag teams etc , but as far as the championship goes , someone can only challenge for his weight division main title.

If they do this then sure, you can have a small guy as the face of the company without looking like a joke and still look very credible. It’s the only legit way to do it
They could do something like that and that would protect the small guys and the bigger guys.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
He's not the next Michaels. He's the next HHH (circa 2003 - 2005). That's how he was booked in NXT. That's how he'll be booked on RAW or Smackdown.
If they book him like that and keep him with the UE then maybe they'd get around it but they'd have to come up with ways for the UE to screw over the bigger guys for cole to go over and also I hated the HHH booking in 2003-2005 that was just a bad 2 years of raw in terms of the main event scene

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd say no.
I'm gonna exaggerate and stereotype a bit now. But ut helps prove my point.

Casual fans love wrestlers who can kick ass. Some of the most popular names ever like Stone cold, Rock, Warrior and Goldberg were ass kicking machines, and the casuals ate it up.
They do not understand the finer points of ring work, and they do not care for it. They watch wrestling to see a dude beat up another dude.

To be portayed as an ass kicker, you will have to look the part. When Rock told people he would layeth the smackdown, people belived it. Imagine someone like Adam Cole doing a Rock promo on Lesnar. It would look like a joke. The casual fan would think "lol that little guy better shut his mouth before he gets crushed".

So small guys don't look like they can be a threat. They don't look like they can kick ass.

But can't a FOTC be something else than an ass kicker? After all Cena, Bret Hart and Hogan werent as aggressive and in your face as the before mentioned guys.
But they still looked the part, so you knew they could kick the crap out of people if the needed to.
And while Bret was smaller than the others, he was not that much smaller and still looked legit.

So I think believeability is important. A FOTC should look like they can actually win a wrestling match. Once you're too small, you're treading in underdog territory. And underdogs can certainly make for exciting storylines and encounters, and some of the best feel good moments in wrestling are underdog victories.

But underdogs rarely make good FOTC, and I guess part of the is exactly the underdog booking and storytelling. If the underdog wins the title against all odds, it's been established that he was juuuust by a hair good enough to win the title. So he will not be a believable champion in the long run.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Nope that would be a horrible idea. Imagine guys like McIntyre or Lesnar having to sell for a midget like Cole. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far

·
Registered
245 Posts
IMO no .. Bigger guys are much more of a male presence to the wrestling and non-wrestling audience, there's a reason guys like Rock, John Cena, Goldberg, Batista, Hogan etc.. could be picked up by movie producers and other pop-culture outlets at any given moment. Of course it's not just the size, but the talent and charm that comes with, however size does matter.

Let's be honest, some of the physique's on these guys is getting quite pathetic. This is pro-wrestling and there needs to be a larger than life quality to it. When guy's are looking like the dude works in accounting, there's a problem.
100% .. in an industry were the money is based on a lie, it should be protected as much as possible even when the cat is out of the bag, at least make it cool
The sad thing is, the pretense of it now isn't a fight between two guys, but rather how good these two guys could perform in the ring, even the audience of today embraces that (hence the dumb "This is Awesome" chants) which in turn made the wrestlers focus more on the fancy, choreographed, cirque du soleil style instead of making it as legit as possible. That's what killed it imo and attracted the smarky-oriented wrestlers of today.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
IMO no .. Bigger guys are much more of a male presence to the wrestling and non-wrestling audience, there's a reason guys like Rock, John Cena, Goldberg, Batista, Hogan etc.. could be picked up by movie producers and other pop-culture outlets at any given moment. Of course it's not just the size, but the talent and charm that comes with, however size does matter.

100% .. in an industry were the money is based on a lie, it should be protected as much as possible even when the cat is out of the bag, at least make it cool
The sad thing is, the pretense of it now isn't a fight between two guys, but rather how good these two guys could perform in the ring, even the audience of today embraces that (hence the dumb "This is Awesome" chants) which in turn made the wrestlers focus more on the fancy, choreographed, cirque du soleil style instead of making it as legit as possible. That's what killed it imo and attracted the smarky-oriented wrestlers of today.
Yeah wrestling use to be about the story and yeah obviously you wanted a good match but the the build up and the hype to get there between two guys who looked a million dollars who you could believe are genuine ass kickers is what sold the shows and got the casual and mainstream audiences attention. But now 2 guys doing flips and and kicks and no story behind it it just doesn't appeal unless like you said a smarky fan who buy into the Meltzer method of wrestling that a match needs a bunch of high spots to be seen as good

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'd say no.
I'm gonna exaggerate and stereotype a bit now. But ut helps prove my point.

Casual fans love wrestlers who can kick ass. Some of the most popular names ever like Stone cold, Rock, Warrior and Goldberg were ass kicking machines, and the casuals ate it up.
They do not understand the finer points of ring work, and they do not care for it. They watch wrestling to see a dude beat up another dude.

To be portayed as an ass kicker, you will have to look the part. When Rock told people he would layeth the smackdown, people belived it. Imagine someone like Adam Cole doing a Rock promo on Lesnar. It would look like a joke. The casual fan would think "lol that little guy better shut his mouth before he gets crushed".

So small guys don't look like they can be a threat. They don't look like they can kick ass.

But can't a FOTC be something else than an ass kicker? After all Cena, Bret Hart and Hogan werent as aggressive and in your face as the before mentioned guys.
But they still looked the part, so you knew they could kick the crap out of people if the needed to.
And while Bret was smaller than the others, he was not that much smaller and still looked legit.
View attachment 89259 View attachment 89258
View attachment 89260

So I think believeability is important. A FOTC should look like they can actually win a wrestling match. Once you're too small, you're treading in underdog territory. And underdogs can certainly make for exciting storylines and encounters, and some of the best feel good moments in wrestling are underdog victories.

But underdogs rarely make good FOTC, and I guess part of the is exactly the underdog booking and storytelling. If the underdog wins the title against all odds, it's been established that he was juuuust by a hair good enough to win the title. So he will not be a believable champion in the long run.
Yeah cole could be booked as a underdog easily because he can work and does have charisma to pull that off but they seem to wanna go with him being a top guy of a faction whos gonna come up and go in there with huge guys who have 100-150lbs on him and for me that just don't won't work I like Adam cole I just don't think he's the guy to hitch a wagon to as a top guy who's a multi time wwe champion and running rough shot on everyone just not a believable way to go

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I doubt it, He would have to check all the boxes, be undeniably a huge draw, and work a style that works vs much bigger guys.

Let's put it this way, if Rey Misterio was a great babyface promo guy, I would have given him a chance. The guy found a style that works vs anyone, was heavily popular with kids, great underdog face, marketable as fuck, if he could do interviews and promos, I'd have given him a chance at FOTC.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't think a smaller wrestler can be FOTC, whoever is placed in that position has to have the aura of being able to beat anyone on the roster, the only smaller wrestler who comes close to that is Daniel Bryan(but he is 200lb+ and 5ft 10").

Being FOTC is a poisoned chalice, as soon as someone is pushed in that role the fans will turn on them, push a small guy and the fans will turn even quicker.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Absolutely no one on the roster is booked as intimidating in any sort of way apart from Lesnar and Orton.

Possibly Mcintyre.

That's why the ratings are in the toilet. You got posters in one post saying how a FOTC should be 240lbs plus, then in the next post worshipping Sasha Banks and Bayley.

Viewers wanting to watch a fight have long since disappeared. This is synchronised gymnastics featuring cartoon characters.

This is Otis vs Ziggler not Test vs Godfather.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,445 Posts
In an Era such as this one no doubt it could happen people won't like Adam Cole as FOTC minus Smarks so he'd be less substancial than Cena or anybody before him, The Top guy is supposed to bring in viewers and money and nobody is doing what the Title of that position entails.

Bigger guys will always generally appeal to casuals(The wider audience) due to their size and the fact that it's Sports Entertainment but still a sport just with theatrics.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
If they book him like that and keep him with the UE then maybe they'd get around it but they'd have to come up with ways for the UE to screw over the bigger guys for cole to go over and also I hated the HHH booking in 2003-2005 that was just a bad 2 years of raw in terms of the main event scene
I totally concur. It would be with some sort of UE around him, just like HHH had Evolution and Flair had his Horsemen. Levesque is a huge fan of Flair and I strongly suspect that this model - and not a Hogan or Austin or Cena dominant babyface - is his preferred booking model. I’m unconvinced that it is sustainable for more than a year or two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Absolutely.. please no more bodybuilders on top, the fans want wrestlers they can relate to like Adam Cole, Otis and especially Seth on top. Though Seth is not small and has the best physique in the business bar none.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts