Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of his people make this debate all the time. For example Adam cole. He's a guys who pretty small in size I remember watching his match back he had with Bryan on smackdown and even Bryan looked considerably bigger than him and Bryan is deemed as a small wrestler.

Obviously this has a been argument for years going back to the 80s and 90s but some people can look past a person's size and just go on there wrestling ability and charisma it worked for guys like Jericho and guerrero. But also some people still like to see wrestlers a certain way with a certain build to really believe in what that wrestler is doing so going forward and with wrestlers being smaller than they were a generation ago can they really be seen as larger than life characters to a audience and is this part of a reason why wrestling has fell off in the past 15 years?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Eddie and Jericho still tried to get their physique looking the best it possibly can despite being smaller guys. Cole seems like he's totally content looking average, just like Zayn and Owens perhaps he feels his other qualities will make up for that?

I personally don't think a guy that small should be face of the company. feels like there is a bias against bigger wrestlers in this era. Dan Matha and Tino Sabitelli were hardly even used before being released. Killer Kross is one of the fewer new body guys you see pushed now. A lot of the focus is on wrestlers who are either acrobats and small or have unremarkable looks like Owens, Corbin, Alistair, Cole, Keith Lee, etc

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eddie and Jericho still tried to get their physique looking the best it possibly can despite being smaller guys. Cole seems like he's totally content looking average, just like Zayn and Owens perhaps he feels his other qualities will make up for that?

I personally don't think a guy that small should be face of the company. feels like there is a bias against bigger wrestlers in this era. Dan Matha and Tino Sabitelli were hardly even used before being released. Killer Kross is one of the fewer new body guys you see pushed now. A lot of the focus is on wrestlers who are either acrobats and small or have unremarkable looks like Owens, Corbin, Alistair, Cole, Keith Lee, etc
Killer kross is probably the guy with the right look. Hes about 230-240lbs but he looks physically impressive and he can work and he's got the charisma if they let him talk further down the line. But I've seen alot of people saying cole could be the next big star and he does have charisma and he can wrestle but aesthetically he just doesn't scream huge star he doesn't scream Shawn Michaels like people compare him to because Shawn was small for his era but he just looked good he wasn't thin and pale looking. and people say that shoudnt matter but it does to a lot of fans causally tuning in and seeing a 145lb guy main eventing a show. I think with guys just not caring about how they look they get saddled with the indie label. And it's came out from Chris Jericho that Vince told owens a few times to lose weight

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I don't see why a wrestler of that size couldn't be the so-called "FOTC"(though that mantle itself is at best antiquated and at worst simply a buzzterm for the primarily featured wrestler). The mantle was never about the size of the performer it was about the marketability or perceived marketability of a performer. One's success or failure in the role is determined by the level they reach in terms of drawing money. If the right performer with the right character comes along at the right time then ANYBODY can be the so-called "FOTC".

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
No, not in America. Vince has never and won't ever really push a big FOTC that's not huge or jacked or both. Western audiences of media have been conditioned to accept big muscular guys as top heroes in movies for a long time now. Shwarzenegger for example to any of the modern day marvel heroes, they're all huge musclemen. That crosses over in to wrestling.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see why a wrestler of that size couldn't be the so-called "FOTC"(though that mantle itself is at best antiquated and at worst simply a buzzterm for the primarily featured wrestler). The mantle was never about the size of the performer it was about the marketability or perceived marketability of a performer. One's success or failure in the role is determined by the level they reach in terms of drawing money. If the right performer with the right character comes along at the right time then ANYBODY can be the so-called "FOTC".
That's true people are just drawn more to wrestlers if there big jacked guys with some sort of charisma. It's just the American wrestling criteria and I'm not saying small guys can't get over because they can and they have and will again and guys can weight 160lbs and still be seen as 'body guy's like balor for example . But cole owens zayn there guys who just don't look like stars and just still have that indie wrestler vibe to them they just can't let go off or have any care to do so and I think it's been a let down for owens and zayn and time will tell with cole

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
That's true people are just drawn more to wrestlers if there big jacked guys with some sort of charisma. It's just the American wrestling criteria and I'm not saying small guys can't get over because they can and they have and will again and guys can weight 160lbs and still be seen as 'body guy's like balor for example . But cole owens zayn there guys who just don't look like stars and just still have that indie wrestler vibe to them they just can't let go off or have any care to do so and I think it's been a let down for owens and zayn and time will tell with cole

To be honest I don't think any of those guys(even Cole) have/had much of a chance of being the so-called "FOTC". Some people aren't cut to for it. Most people if you really think about it aren't cut out for the mantle. I'm not saying that any or Owens or Cole aren't talented performers but they all lack the otherwordly magnetism that is necessary to be the "FOTC". There is a reason that people fail to succeed at being "the guy" more often than people succeed at it. I can almost guarantee that anyone who is currently 30 or older and hasn't gotten a decent foothold with audiences or hasn't reached the main event level on the main roster will not be the next "FOTC". You want to find a person who you can conceivably build around for the long term while maximizing the amount of time that they as FOTC will make you money and anchor your promotion. It's harder to envision a longterm role like that the older a performer gets. There is always the possibility that I'm wrong on that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest I don't think any of those guys(even Cole) have/had much of a chance of being the so-called "FOTC". Some people aren't cut to for it. Most people if you really think about it aren't cut out for the mantle. I'm not saying that any or Owens or Cole aren't talented performers but they all lack the otherwordly magnetism that is necessary to be the "FOTC". There is a reason that people fail to succeed at being "the guy" more often than people succeed at it. I can almost guarantee that anyone who is currently 30 or older and hasn't gotten a decent foothold with audiences or hasn't reached the main event level on the main roster will not be the next "FOTC". You want to find a person who you can conceivably build around for the long term while maximizing the amount of time that they as FOTC will make you money and anchor your promotion. It's harder to envision a longterm role like that the older a performer gets. There is always the possibility that I'm wrong on that.
I just think the company as well had grown so much now and has so many layers to it in terms stuff they do it's hard to just put that title on one person

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,145 Posts
People say size doesn't matter in wrestling and they point to big draws in boxing and MMA that are small but those sports have weight classes, you might bet money on Connor McGregor beating any dude under 150 lbs but you wouldn't bet on him to beat Daniel Cormier, why? Because you wouldn't believe he could feasibly win, that's the size issue in a nutshell, at no point did I think Adam Cole could beat a guy almost 200 lbs heavier than him in Keith Lee without the UE.

He could maybe have a chicken shit title run like Authority Seth but you can't have a guy who can only believably win when it's 4 on 1 as the FOTC.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let's be honest, some of the physique's on these guys is getting quite pathetic. This is pro-wrestling and there needs to be a larger than life quality to it. When guy's are looking like the dude works in accounting, there's a problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No way .

For one- it’s impossible to book him as fotc and not look like a joke.

To be the fotc you are not just the poster boy, you are the most dominant wrestler of the period where you are fotc.

So imagine a guy like Adam Cole going over clean and dominating feuds with guys like Brock, Lasheley, Braun, Drew, Randy, Roman and the rest of the big guys.

It creates too many problems-it makes those big guys look like jokes as the fotc will have to be booked to be stronger than them and beat them clean on multiple occasions . ( you can’t have your fotc to be a 50/50 win rate loser, that will make him look like a midcard joke)

Imagine guys like Drew and Lesnar being beaten repeatedly by say Adam Cole. It makes the entire thing looks like a farce and he is not even a 145-160lbs guy.

Even if the guy is legit fighter like Floyd was , his match with big show was a mockery and completely unrealistic one.

A big wrestler being the fotc is a lot easy to have as when he wins and dominates that’s expected from him. Someone like Brock dominating guys like Rollins, Beating Braun, Roman, Randy etc doesn’t feel like fluke- it’s what’s expected from a guy his size and on top of that his opponents can look good even in defeat.

For example Aj styles losing to Brock still made him look great as he looked strong and held his own to a guy 2 times his size.

Years ago when D Bryan first debuted and lost to Batista , this made Bryan look great too in defeat as he put Batista to his limits and almost won even thought Batista was 2 times his size and way more established.

However if you switched booking in those cases and had Aj styles dominating and had him beat Brock clean with Brock putting on “good effort” , that would not make Brock look good in deafest, it would have made him look like a joke.

“Look at this 280lbs powerhouse not able to beat a guy half his size”

So no, small wrestlers being fotc are bad decision. They should be booked as underdogs and they should win the big one on occasion but that occasion should be rare enough to make those moments really special.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
No, not in America. Vince has never and won't ever really push a big FOTC that's not huge or jacked or both. Western audiences of media have been conditioned to accept big muscular guys as top heroes in movies for a long time now. Shwarzenegger for example to any of the modern day marvel heroes, they're all huge musclemen. That crosses over in to wrestling.
Sorta. We diverged from that in the 1990s to more normal looking action stars. Then the trend reversed itself around 2012, with Dwayne Johnson revealing a new and improved physique to relaunch his career in Journey 2 Mysterious Island. Now it seems you have to be really jacked up to be a viable action star.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
No way .

To be the fotc you are not just the poster boy, you are the most dominant wrestler of the period where you are fotc.

So imagine a guy like Adam Cole going over clean and dominating feuds with guys like Brock, Lasheley, Braun, Drew, Randy, Roman and the rest of the big guys.

It creates too many problems-it makes those big guys look like jokes as the fotc will have to be booked to be stronger than them and beat them clean on multiple occasions . ( you can’t have your fotc to be a 50/50 win rate loser, that will make him look like a midcard joke)

Imagine guys like Drew and Lesnar being beaten repeatedly by say Adam Cole. It makes the entire thing looks like a farce and he is not even a 145-160lbs guy.

Even if the guy is legit fighter like Floyd was , his match with big show was a mockery and completely unrealistic one.

A big wrestler being the fotc is a lot easy to have as when he wins and dominates that’s expected from him. Someone like Brock dominating guys like Rollins, Beating Braun, Roman, Randy etc doesn’t feel like fluke- it’s what’s expected from a guy his size and on top of that his opponents can look good even in defeat.

For example Aj styles losing to Brock still made him look great as he looked strong and held his own to a guy 2 times his size.

Years ago when D Bryan first debuted and lost to Batista , this made Bryan look great too in defeat as he put Batista to his limits and almost won even thought Batista was 2 times his size and way more established.

However if you switched booking in those cases and had Aj styles dominating and had him beat Brock clean with Brock putting on “good effort” , that would not make Brock look good in deafest, it would have made him look like a joke.

So no, small wrestlers being fotc are bad decision. They should be booked as underdogs and they should win the big one on occasion but that occasion should be rare enough to make those moments really special.
It becomes a self reinforcing problem. You cannot have more than one or two Brocks on your roster if you want to make a 145 pounder your FOTC. Ideally, almost everyone now has to be between 125 lbs and 180 for it to maintain a semblance of realism. Therefore you have to phase out the larger wrestlers, which then makes WWE a micro niche product.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It becomes a self reinforcing problem. You cannot have more than one or two Brocks on your roster if you want to make a 145 pounder your FOTC. Ideally, almost everyone now has to be between 125 lbs and 180 for it to maintain a semblance of realism. Therefore you have to phase out the larger wrestlers, which then makes WWE a micro niche product.
Yep, companies like UFC have found solution to this by having world titles for different weight divisions , and thus small guys like McGreggor can be fotc becuase they only fight other small fighters .

Ufc have this thing called best pound by pound fighter so over there a small guy, even though he would get crushed by the big guys can still have claim to be the best fighter as he would be ranked best pound to pound fighter .

However is UFC was like wwe and all fighters were fighting without the weight zones, then the big guys would dominate the entire sport .

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Not if Vince is running the show, though.

The only thing that matters in entertainment is that people gravitate to it. If someone attains Austin-level success after a cool promo and takes off, and they happened to be smaller, any promoter would be stupid to kill their push and not let them go as far as they can.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Not if Vince is running the show, though.

The only thing that matters in entertainment is that people gravitate to it. If someone attains Austin-level success after a cool promo and takes off, and they happened to be smaller, any promoter would be stupid to kill their push and not let them go as far as they can.
Sorry but that’s hot garbage way of thinking.
Remember Enzo amore ? The guy was exactly this, a small 160-170 lbs guy who was actually really fun on the mic. Even went as far as main eventing raw when he won the Cruiserweight title.

But you really think you can somehow book that guy to dominate in feuds with Lesnar or Orton or Drew or Braun without making a mockery of the entire roster ??

You would have to book all these big guys to act weak and scared of him when he talks shit at them when you know they can crush him in half within seconds .

That whole idea that 160 lbs guy can or should dominate guys 2 times his size becuase he is good on the mic is stupid and luckily the management also sees it that way

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No way .

I just see people all time say Adam cole is the future and stuff like that and comparing him to Michaels. Yes Michaels was small but he always about 195-200lbs and he looked like a athlete. Adam cole he's very thin and small he's like the bucks in terms of how he looks and I just can't take that seriously in terms of the guy you put on top of your show and say this is the reason why you should tune in. Guys like cole there is a place for them in the WWE but I just don't see that being the guy you build the show around for the next 5-10 years putting him feuds with guys literally twice his size and having him go over consistently. But maybe the business has changed to a point where that can happen and people will go with it but you also see the business is at a all time low and you do see people that don't wanna watch 150lb guys flipping and hitting superkicks

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I just see people all time say Adam cole is the future and stuff like that and comparing him to Michaels. Yes Michaels was small but he always about 195-200lbs and he looked like a athlete. Adam cole he's very thin and small he's like the bucks in terms of how he looks and I just can't take that seriously in terms of the guy you put on top of your show and say this is the reason why you should tune in. Guys like cole there is a place for them in the WWE but I just don't see that being the guy you build the show around for the next 5-10 years putting him feuds with guys literally twice his size and having him go over consistently. But maybe the business has changed to a point where that can happen and people will go with it but you also see the business is at a all time low and you do see people that don't wanna watch 150lb guys flipping and hitting superkicks
He reminds me a lot - in terms of physique - of 1996 Sean Waltman.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts