Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Heroes For Hire
15,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Michael Condrey and Glen Schofield left EA's Dead Space team to form Sledgehammer Studios under Activision's auspices in 2009, the goal was to make an action adventure in the Call of Duty universe. However, following the meltdown at Call of Duty: Modern Warfare developer Infinity Ward in 2010, Sledgehammer shifted its focus to helping Activision ship Modern Warfare 3.

Modern Warfare 3 took priority over Sledgehammer's Call of Duty action adventure.

With Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on track to hit its November 8 release date, it appears as if Sledgehammer won't be returning to the action adventure it had started. In an interview with CVG, Sledgehammer general manager Glen Schofield said that the game will likely be canceled, calling the setting of the game too obscure.

"We'll probably cancel it," he said. "They gave us the choice of: Do you want to work on Modern Warfare 3 or do you want to continue working on this? And we really liked that. We liked what we were doing. It's third person, probably set at a time that might have 'niched' it too much. I bet that if we had kept going, within a month or two, I probably would have switched the time period but kept the gameplay. It had some really cool stuff."

Details on the action adventure have yet to surface. However, early speculation pointed to the game being titled Bloodhunt, following a trademark application filed by Activision.

Schofield doesn't plan on having his studio continue operating as a helper on the Call of Duty franchise. Sledgehammer will, he hopes, tackle its next project on its own, though it will likely still be set in the Call of Duty franchise.

"I think that we will work alone on our next project," he said. "This game has allowed both Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games to hire, and we hired really strong teams, both of us. We needed to come together on this one, but since then we've both grown; we're both over 100 people now."

"Initially, we weren't fully functional because we had to learn a new engine," he continued. "Now we have, I think the best thing that could happen for
Source: Gamespot

This is the first cancelled console COD game isn't it? Activision must still be in the shitter if they cancelled it.

·
False Prophets
12,630 Posts
Re: Call Of Duty May Be In Trouble Following MW3; Planned Spin-Off Game Likely Cancel

Only way COD is in trouble is if MW3 doesn't sell which I fully expect it to.

·
False Prophets
12,630 Posts
Re: Call Of Duty May Be In Trouble Following MW3; Planned Spin-Off Game Likely Cancel

After MW3 Ativision still has Teyrach working on a follow up to Black Ops I assume.

·
EIRE
15,862 Posts

I think the COD franchise has 2 more games left in it before people finally get sick of it. Unless they revitalize it somehow but odds are they will just run it into the ground until it doesn't work anymore. Can't blame them, they are making a shit load of money off of these terrible games.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts

Yeah pretty obvious MW3 will sell, but there's no telling what's happening afterwards. I'm sure Activision will get desperate and hot shot a MW4.
I haven't read the spoilers but I'm pretty sure MW3 will wrap up the stories of Soap, Price & Makarov. And where can you really go from world war 3?

·
EIRE
15,862 Posts

I haven't read the spoilers but I'm pretty sure MW3 will wrap up the stories of Soap, Price & Makarov. And where can you really go from world war 3?

Space and beyond. Don't kid yourself, they will come up with some stupid reason to make another game and everyone will eat it up like they always do.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

how would a cancel mean COD is in the shitter? games gets cancelled all the time for many reasons.. most of the time without anyone even knowing it.. Who knows how many other COD games have been in DeV that never had info leaked on them and then got cancelled

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts

I hope after MW3 and the most likely sequel to the World at War/Black Ops series that Call of Duty at least goes down a new path and changes some things up. They are still fun campaign games, but if it's the same thing for 7 years straight, I'll have to tap out.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Space and beyond. Don't kid yourself, they will come up with some stupid reason to make another game and everyone will eat it up like they always do.
The Russian front of WWII will be in COD within the next few games I'm calling it right now.

They can put America on the back-burner for at least one game.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts

A spin off I've never even heard of has been cancelled and it spells CODs impending doom? Unfortunately I highly doubt it, they will keep on rolling out the COD games and people will keep on buying them.

·
Banned
1,525 Posts

Maybe this is why rockstar are taking so long to make gta v they want everyone to have a break from it so we dont get sick of the series. It's a possibility

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts

The new game is obviously going to sell, but I think soon this COD hype will die out in the next few years. Look at the Guitar Hero series for example. Nobody thought that would die as quick as it did.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

how would a cancel mean COD is in the shitter? games gets cancelled all the time for many reasons.. most of the time without anyone even knowing it.. Who knows how many other COD games have been in DeV that never had info leaked on them and then got cancelled
You do realize that Activision is basically surviving off of Call of Duty alone right now, right? One cancelled console game says alot, especially after how many franchises Activision canned earlier this year and one of them was one of their big players (Guitar Hero)while another new game was a reboot that was getting major hype (True Crime).

·
Banned
1,502 Posts

Maybe this is why rockstar are taking so long to make gta v they want everyone to have a break from it so we dont get sick of the series. It's a possibility
Rockstar has historically taken years to release a new Grand Theft Auto, Vice City and San Andreas were two years apart and San Andreas and GTA IV were four years apart, next year will be four years since GTA IV and that's when GTA V is supposed to come out.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

I think the COD franchise has 2 more games left in it before people finally get sick of it. Unless they revitalize it somehow but odds are they will just run it into the ground until it doesn't work anymore. Can't blame them, they are making a shit load of money off of these terrible games.
Yea, they still have a few more years of putting out COD in November and selling crazy numbers left in the tank, might as well run it into the ground.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,506 Posts

Cactus there were like 4 GH and Rockband games a year. Its not comparable think of it like Madden and it breaks bank every year.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

You do realize that Activision is basically surviving off of Call of Duty alone right now, right? One cancelled console game says alot, especially after how many franchises Activision canned earlier this year and one of them was one of their big players (Guitar Hero)while another new game was a reboot that was getting major hype (True Crime).
like i said one cancelled counsel won't do anything.. So many COD gams have been cancelled before and it was announced they were cancelled till a year or two later.. and hell none of the info was ever released, but i guess that means Acti is dying too.. You also forget how much add money they get and how much they get from the blizzard branch of the company. Then you also have to account for the other shit ton of millions of games they sell.. look at numbers and don't think just cause a COD is getting cancelled it will kill activision

1 - 20 of 26 Posts