Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..of the 4 NXT seasons thus far in terms of overall potential and legitimacy.

What I mean is, while there were some obvious and potential future stars/solid roster additions in S1 and .. (3---not so much), like Barrett, Riley, Daniel Bryan, Gabriel, Kaval (we all knew Loki would at least MAKE it to TV based on his ability and reputation... so forget the shit booking/hasty exit for the sake of this point), there were a also a lot of guys who we saw as instant crap/too green and as nothing more than filler for the show--wrestlers whose names we may have forgotten already...

The Eli CottonWoods, Lucky Cannon's, Black Cena's, and Little Boy Robots...

I don't see that so much in this season. It seems each and every man on this roster has enough of what it takes to not be forgettable, including the already vanquished Jacob "Down with O.P.P." Novak.

I honestly don't see one boring or "meh" character in this bunch.

Conor O'Brian The Rat seems big enough to be a threat, and funny enough to entertain, although his rat voice at time, leaves me facepalming. Still, he could fit in as a midcard heel in todays WWE no problem.

Johnny Curtis This dude can be funny or intense, with a decent look and has some very natural athletic ability that translates into fluid ring work that will only improve. I can see him as a future upper midcarder down the line, and maybe more.

Derrick Bateman Dude is just fucking hilarious, but I see him as more than a comedy character in time. Something about him says "epic promos" down the line, and IMO, he'll a megastar in the WWE down the road. He's got the look, build, work ethic, and charisma it takes to make it to the top one day.

Brodus Clay This guy is a beast and different from the cookie cutter mold of the usual Big Men. His ring work combined with brute force/persona will land him a spot on the roster and he can credibly start squashing jobbers off the bat until he works his way up.

Byron Saxton
This guy oozes personality, and while a little green, he's far from cringeworthy in the ring. His smile and arrogance are excellent traits, and this guy can be a bigtime heel if he keeps going at this rate. Something about him just feels like it'll be extremely "over" with the crowds.

Jacob Novak The most "meh" of the bunch, but by no means terrible. Good size, decent look, and enough personality that his mic time wasn't embrassing on a McGuillicutty level or anything. I think he can be legit in time; he needs some more work, though, and the only guy of this class I don't expect to see on TV very soon after NXT S4 ends. I still believe he'll get there, but he's not as "ready" as the others.

So, yeah, I think this "class" has the most overall potential to be credible guys in the WWE without only being there as courtesy bodies or silent lackies for some injury riddled stable designed to really only push 1 man.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I agree with OP in general but I can't stand Bateman and Curtis. They just come off as stupid **** and are not funny at all.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In retrospect, I think Season 1 was by far the most well rounded.

Barrett, Bryan, Tarver, Skip could all talk pretty well.

Bryan, Gabriel, Slater, (I haven't seen enough of Skip) are all really good in the ring and Young is alright

Barrett, Tarver, and Skip all had the size to be legitimate main eventers, although that seems unlikely now.

Odd man out is Young, but in my opinion there is still something untapped there, let him tag with Percy Watson and see where that takes him.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree with the threadstarter. I honestly enjoy all the rookies this season. Whereas in previous seasons I have only liked a few or a couple of them. (Bateman and Curtis are my faves and I may add Brodus to that list) I feel like this season has been getting lots of undeserved hate. Very underrated, IMO...

·
Registered
895 Posts
I tend to agree, Its up there with the first season as the best so far.

Brodus Clay - Definetly will get a spot on the roster. He has a unique look, Big intimidating frame, and is actually a traditional "Monster" not just a jacked up weightlifter.

Johny Curtis - Will also get a contract due to him being the "PERFECT CAW". He is the epitome of the FCW generic talent initiative. Vince would be proud ....... although i doubt most others would.

Derrick Bateman - This guy has talent, Sometimes people come along and they just have Charisma. Bateman is one of them.

Byron Saxton and Rattitude may get a short term contract but i dont see them hanging around long. I can see Conor being used in stupid backstage skits with Hornswoggle on Smackdown in the near future.

Jacob Novak? ................ in about 6 months we'll be saying Jacob who?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
curtis gets a bad rep for no reason, in fcw his gimmick of being an oddball is incredibly over.

the guy is a good wrestler, he was trained by killer kowalski ... however he's better as a heel because from being an oddball, he becomes a creep.

·
pretending to be nice
1,492 Posts
curtis gets a bad rep for no reason, in fcw his gimmick of being an oddball is incredibly over.

the guy is a good wrestler, he was trained by killer kowalski ... however he's better as a heel because from being an oddball, he becomes a creep.
Nah, Curtis gets good rep for no reason. This is the WWE, not FCW. He's shown nothing yet after almost two months on TV and deserves to be eliminated.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think Curtis & Bateman will be a tag team once NXT ends. Brodus will almost definantly have a future in the main roster as will Saxton, the rest, meh.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Am I missing something? What has Curtis done in NXT to stand out at all? He's drier than the paint on the arena walls. Maybe he's solid in FCW, but if so it's not showing up on NXT. DO SOMETHING TO STAND OUT JOHNNY

Apart from him I think all rookies are doing a decent job

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Its because this season had 6 instead of 8. Season 2 would have looked a lot better if you didn't include Titus O'Neill and Cottonwood.

Jacob Novak was the only really lame guy of this group. The rest are decent to good.

IMO Kaval and Riley > Entire Season 4 group

Season 4 (Except Novak) > Season 2 (excluding Kaval and Riley)

So yeah I agree this season is well rounded. Going down to 6 was definitely a good idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts