Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sweden's culture minister has faced calls to resign after she was filmed cutting into a cake resembling an African woman as part of an art piece on female genital mutilation.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8453386/calls-for-minister-to-quit-over-racist-cake

Minister Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth cut the cake to mark the 75th anniversary of the Swedish Artists Federation at Stockholm's modern art museum, Al Jazeera reported.

In the bizarre piece of performance art, the body of the African woman consisted of cake while Afro-Swedish artist Makode Aj Linde's head sat at the top.

As the minister cut into the "crotch" of the cake, Mr Linde screamed out in mock pain.

Female genital mutilation is still a big problem in some parts of Africa, something Mr Linde wanted to highlight.

The performance was a "tasteless, racist spectacle", the African Swedish National Association said.

Ms Andlesohn Liljeroth said she didn't have a chance to inspect the cake before the anniversary.

"If some people have been offended, I apologise," she said.

"Then it's up to the artist to explain what he meant with his work."

Mr Linde told Al Jazeera he thinks his work has been misunderstood and he has used art to criticise stereotypes of Africans.

Swedish art critic Dan Jonsson said Ms Adelsohn Liljeroth would have been damned if she did and damned if she didn't.

"Either she'd been accused of being judgemental about artistic freedom, or to express racism," Mr Jonsson wrote in Dagens Nyheter.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
haha yeah I saw that. Disgusting looking cake ( not being racist here ). Dont know why anyone would even want to eat it. Looks nasty.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
the cake deserved to be cut IMO

·
You want it all but you can't have it.
2,986 Posts
I don't understand this need to be as disturbing or weird as possible for the sake of art. It doesn't say creative or original to me, it says someone needs to fuck off to the loony bin.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think the racism issue actually stems from the fact that the screaming bloke is made-up/masked like a golliwog? That's my take on it.

Such a shame that one of my fave childhood toys (and my dad's too) has become a symbol of hate :/

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think the racism issue actually stems from the fact that the screaming bloke is made-up/masked like a golliwog? That's my take on it.

Such a shame that one of my fave childhood toys (and my dad's too) has become a symbol of hate :/
You realise it was a black person who made the cake to raise the issues of female circumcision in Africa right?

Racism my backside, and golliwogs also racist my backside.

Usual load of fuss over anything regarding race. Nothing story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts