Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's probably going to be a lot of complaints made about this match and a lot of threads made about the PPV, but I don't really care. It's time I give my two cents on this.

Before I get into the two things that I want to discuss here, I will first say this. The storytelling was decent, the pacing was shit, the atmosphere was good, and I'm glad AJ won.

I'm only going to get into discussion regarding two things, the in ring action and the ending.

With the in ring action, how can any of you guys say this was a great match? It was a slow paced snorefuck with little to no innovation by either men, something you are normally accustomed to see in a TNA main event match AT BOUND FOR GLORY. From the beginning to end, it was a snorefuck. We had both guys try to one up each other, finally had some decent amounts of back and forth action, but then it all just stopped when the Aces and Eights members started randomly showing up. Then you had the 450 splash spot on the table to the outside, and I won't deny that was an awesome spot, but it was followed by a good three-four minutes being wasted by Bully Ray cutting up the ring, and then trying to call out other people just to get Dixie to come out. From there on out, it was just generic back and forth action between both guys. This is not the typical TNA formula. Last year we had Hardy/Aries. What the hell happened?

Now I normally am not one of those people who make claims that TNA rips off the WWE at times. But the ending to the match could not be more blatant. And I'm not talking about the actual finish itself, I'm talking about everything that happened after it.

Whether we are talking about Dixie's piss poor acting or Aj celebrating with the fans, it was pretty much TNA attempting to recreate the ending to MITB 2011. With the storyline of this being AJ's potential last match and leaving as World Champion, and the owner looking on in horror as he (or she in this case) watches the champion leave through the crowd, it's literally a replica of the ending of MITB. The only difference? Everything about it is wrong.

The thing about the ending to the MITB PPV was that it actually meant something to see Punk go into the crowd. It was his hometown crowd, and he had just got done foiling another attempt by Vince to keep Punk from leaving as the WWE champion. There was no music playing, you had the commentators stunned in silence as the image of Punk celebrating was shown on camera. And the best part to it, was Vince McMahon, who did an excellent job selling the part of staring on in horror, doing nothing but having a stare of concern and not knowing what to do.

Here, nothing about it works. There's no possible way it could work with Tazz on commentary. But it just gets worse. You had Aj as the main focal point, a guy who has done an absolute terrible job playing the anti authority role. You had an atmosphere that didn't nearly match the atmosphere of the red hot and happy Chicago crowd that was ecstatic that Punk had won. But the biggest downfall here was Dixie Carter, who just continued to do her best to attempt to look like she was devastated by this and in the end, somehow made Bri Bella look like Sandra Bullock out there with her horrible acting. Everything about this moment was just wrong.

Rating it was a whole, I'd say that Bound For Glory all in all had some of it's high moments but there were too many terrible moments for it to receive any deserved praise. All in all, I'd say Bound For Glory was a 3/10, with two points lost just because of this main event alone.

I would make rants about the other things involving this PPV, but you guys would be here all night, so I'll just leave it at that.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
Re: Bully Ray vs Aj Styles=Worst BFG main event ever

I think it was "okay" but the main event of your biggest show of the year shouldn't just be "okay" it should be amazing.

·
Registered
904 Posts

You're crazy. There were 3 mark out moments. AJ going through the table was amazing.

·
Registered
118 Posts

It wasn't terrible. I'd say it was more about the storytelling than actual wrestling. I give it a passing grade.

·
There's only one of me
1,220 Posts

AJ's spot through the table was incredible. Everything else was average, at best, and going into the crowd after the victory...along with Dixie standing there, looking on, devastated...it stomped out all credibility from there, because it became the exact replica (albeit a cheap replica) of MITB.

I just don't get why they went this direction, so soon after 2011.

·
Premium Member
44,211 Posts

I really enjoyed it actually.

To me, the worst was Angle/Roode from 2011. That ending was like "the fuck? Really? That's how you're going to end it?"

·
Registered
9,861 Posts

Really, the worst? I remember the Roode v Angle match being terrible. The three way between Anderson, Hardy, and Angle didn't blow me away either.

·
The Man
25,722 Posts

It was pretty lackluster, had 2 or 3 markout moments but other than that the match was meh. Can't end your biggest ppv of the year with a meh ending. Right guy won though.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts

Jeff Jarrett/Rhino, even though the ending was great.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts

It was better than the 2011 main event but a huge step down from last year's main event at BFG.

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts

It didn't feel like the biggest match at the biggest show of the year, but it also certainly wasn't their worst effort. BFG actually has a pretty poor track record of main events, as illustrated in this thread by the suggestions others have made.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

I wouldn't say the worst, but it was up there. Only good part was the table spot. Other than that, just utter crap. The only other good thing for me was my grandmother yelling at the TV the whole time about how the referee was a "stupid ass" :D:
I'd say overall, this year's ppv was overall passable, but nowhere near great. I thought the X Division match was decent, the Magnus/Sting match was alright, I missed most of the Angle/Roode unfortunately, but from the last 5 or so minutes that I saw, it was great. Don't really remember the other matches, tbh. First time watching TNA for months now, I doubt I'll watch after this ppv. 5/10.
Edit: I actually didn't even think of this being a MitB ripoff until I read this thread. You make a really good point, man.

·
Banned
6,087 Posts

All I read from that post was bla bla bla bla CM Punk.

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Angle/Roode was a great match that suffered from a terrible ending.

Jarrett/Rhino I honestly have not seen in a long time, but from what I remember it wasn't this bad.

And to those pointing out the table spot, I already mentioned that it was an awesome spot, but one awesome spot does not make a match great.

All I read from that post was bla bla bla bla CM Punk.
Oh, okay, should I speak your language and talk more about protein milk?

·
Registered
166 Posts

Holy crap, this company is terrible. Biggest show of the year, and it feels like a glorified Impact episode. RIP TNA.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts