Wrestling Forum banner

Building New Main-eventers should take a backseat to rebuilding the lowercards

928 4
Well, I am sure that everyone is happy that WWE is pushing young talent and trying to get more ppl to main eventers. This is a good thing, but I feel they should chill and actually spend sometime building the lower card (I mean midcard and possibly even undercard). Now I am aware that some ppl are gonna hate on this idea, but at least hear it out.
I know the main event is where the big money is at, but the midcard is where ppl should build interest in themselves, it should be the stepping stone for those that do not have the luxury on WWE backing them right off the bat in a mainevent feud. Now, I am not saying ignore the mainevent or anything like that. I am just saying that the midcarders should be showcased more, have ppl actually want the midcard titles, throw the occasional main eventer into the mix. Anything, just spend sometime shining a spotlight on the midcard.

Why? because that is where the future main eventers come from. I am all for the youth movement, but I feel all that effort should be directed towards the midcard and tag division and less towards rushing ppl into the mainevent scene.

So far all the attempts to make a new main event star have failed, the new guys are only being featured on PPV because there is no one else to put on PPV, outside of Cena, Orton, Edge and Rey there are no consistently present maineventers, add Big Show and Kane and that is about it for credible veterans. The only attempt that seems to be working is the Miz and if he loses the title to Cena at WM I fear he will soon be joining Sheamus and Swagger in the failed prospect line waiting to make a comeback. ADR certainly will be joining them if he wins the title.

If they want a successful youth movement imo, I think they shud start by putting these guys in the midcard and invest a year at least on them b4 trying anything mainevent. I mean a year of them hunting and winning midcard titles feuding with other midcard, in relevant feuds in a setup similar to wat the main event feuds get, maybe not as much time but at least 10 mins. The champ or his challenger always gets 15 mins of the show as promo time give the midcard champ and challenger even just 7 as opposed to having a random Mark Henry or Khali match. The quick push does not work, it just makes weak champs that no one cares about and how can you blame them for not caring (its not even the wrestler's fault they just have no history).

Well, that is about it for my rant, I think they should spend time heavily featuring the midcard if they are serious about the youth movement because so far rushing doesn't work, the only person that could have pulled off the rushed mainevent push, based on crowd reactions he was getting was Barrett but they put him on the back-burner and now his crowd reactions are shrinking.

What are your thoughts?
Reactions: NoLeafClover
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,603 Posts
They should ideally focus on the whole card. Focusing on the midcard would drive people apeshit, though, look at all the bitching about Kingston not being WHC yet. There's no patience from the fans and seemingly no patience from the company either right now, unfortunately.

They do need to build main eventers, though, with Batista, Undertaker, HHH, Jericho out at the same time it all looked a little thin at the top.

· Registered
5,747 Posts
Will not read until you break that shit up into sections, guy.

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,891 Posts
Yes, the company needs to care about tag teaming, lower card action and mid card belts.

Some of the people you mentioned are already in their 30s and wrestled extensively overseas before coming to the WWE, like Del Rio and Sheamus. There is no reason to send them down the card.

But the company does have a lot of guys in their mid 20s that they could be doing so much more with. Zack Ryder, Evan Bourne, Tyson Kidd and DH Smith, the Usos, Swagger, Ted DiBiase Jr, Curt Hawkins and Vance Archer and other wrestlers. There is a compelling and credible undercard and midcard to be had with the right attention and booking. WWE certainly has the talent to make it work.

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They should ideally focus on the whole card. Focusing on the midcard would drive people apeshit, though, look at all the bitching about Kingston not being WHC yet. There's no patience from the fans and seemingly no patience from the company either right now, unfortunately.

They do need to build main eventers, though, with Batista, Undertaker, HHH, Jericho out at the same time it all looked a little thin at the top.
I do agree that they should focus on the entire card, but they got to start somewhere and trying to stack the top will only lead to the same problem in say 10 years when Cena and Orton are leaving. The midcard and Tag divisions are the best place to start, it's not like it would take much more effort, just give the midcard champ more promo time and have tag matches between regular teams outside of "superstars".

You can see a guy come right into the midcard and start dominating his way through the division until he hits a challenge in the champion, the same is impossible with the mainevent unless you are like Batista, Lesnar or even Khali(in terms of size). Plus if they do cultivate this part of the show the transition into mainevent will come naturally. They have enough maineventers and uppermidcard to hold up until this time.

I feel that ppl aren't impatient, they just don't want their favorites stuck doing something that is essentially unimportant and meaningless. That is what the midcard and lowercards are so far. If WWE shows little interest in something then why should the viewers right? I'm sure if they started putting focus into the midcard, ppl will eventually change their tune.

They have all the talent they need to make these divisions awesome, or in the least, good. Right now, in terms of tag teams they have Santinozlov, Corre, Nexus, Usos and Truth/Curtis that's a good number. But all those superstars extras can also be thrown into the mix. Have Trent and Hawkins form a face tag team and put Primo and Tito together as the Colons (as faces). Have them do some crazy tag team matches, like the tables or ladder matches, some tornado tag matches, something, they don't even need to talk much just got at it. The midcard just need some promo time and matches, so far the US champ DB is doing nothing, IC champ Kofi is doing nothing, they are just there for the world champs and their contenders to beat on so they look strong. But that only creates the impression that midcard just doesn't cut it and this leads to it being hard to transition someone from midcard to mainevent and no one comes in mainevent. The midcard needs to be where these extreme matches are featured more often than not. Let's be honest they'd do a much better job at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.