Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just started watching the series on netflix. i just started the 4th season and i noticed it came out the same year as the 1st season of angel. do i need to watch them side by side? or can i finish the rest of the buffy series and then watch angel?

·
The Definition of Excellence
1,556 Posts
you can do it either way. But I'd say side by side. Theres a good bit of cross over (mostly on the angel side) but mostly just a handful of comments referencing whats going on with the other show here or there. With that said there's nothing over the top that makes it so you'll miss out on anything big if you watch all of Buffy then all of Angel. Just don't watch the last season of Angel until you've watched the last seaon of Buffy.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
if you do some internet searching (i'm not going to do it cuz i'm lazy), there's a site somewhere that breaks down the chronological order of how you should watch the episodes. it's like "watch so much of buffy, then so much of angel, etc." it's not really a big deal though, i never even watched angel until after buffy was done. but it would be nicer cuz there is some decent cross-over.

·
I wonder what Aeris felt...When she was up on that
31,463 Posts
I'd recommend against it since Angel is so much better than Buffy. Watch all of Buffy and then watch all of Angel. Or if you start Angel during Buffy, don't watch Angel Season 5 until you've finished Buffy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have both series, and i would honestly say to watch Buffy first and then Angel, Angel has quite a bit of crossover with buffy characters showing up. I actually prefer buffy over angel.

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
I only got into this in series 7 of Buffy :$, ended up watching the whole of Buffy, then went and watched Angel. I kinda prefer Angel over Buffy, but in both I don't like the title character, always prefer the side characters of both shows. (Anya, Willow and Faith in Buffy, Illyria and Lorne in Angel).

·
Banned
10,007 Posts
Buffy was, for a long time, my favourite TV show. I first started watching in Season Seven and after watching that on UK TV I bought all of the videos and became infatuated with it. I also loved Angel and own all of the (again) videos. I think I prefer Buffy because it was the first that I got into and I'll always have love for it for that reason alone, but when you analyse it, Angel's probably the better show on all levels.

If you like Buffy, fyi, you'll love Supernatural. That's my favourite of all.

·
Men of Mayhem
7,330 Posts
Watch the first three seasons of Buffy and then switch to Angel.

The flashbacks in Angel will tell you enough about Spike that his move to Angel in the 5th season will make perfect sense.

I wish they would have made an 'Angelus' series too.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I never watched them both side by side, I tried halfway through series four when Faith woke up, but it got confusing. I would watch Buffy first, then Angel. They don't need to be watched together to be made sense of, especially since you would have just watched Series four and it would be fresh in your mind whilst watching Angel.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've watched it both ways, and to be honest I liked watching them side-by-side the best. There's a lot of neat small references that you'll miss otherwise. At one point on Angel, Angel calls Buffy and nobody picks up, so he hangs up the phone and goes about his business. On the corresponding episode of Buffy, you can see the phone ringing and the reason that nobody answers it. There's also a couple episodes where Angel shows up on Buffy and talks about how Buffy came to visit him a few weeks ago and what happened. I think it's worth it to watch them both, but they do a good enough job of recapping that you won't feel lost if you decide not to.

As someone above said, do NOT watch season five of Angel until you've seen all of season Seven of Buffy.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
There is a little bit of crossover in the 4th seasons and last season of Buffy thats kind of important to the overall storyline. But for the most part you don't need to watch one to understand the other. If thats what you mean.

Buffy and Angel are some of my all time favorite tv series. They are both so different but so great in the same way. Angel is more geared towards adults I think because its darker and more violent than Buffy.

But I do loves me some Buffy. Especially seasons 3 4 5 and 7. Season 6 was just too damn depressing.

·
I wonder what Aeris felt...When she was up on that
31,463 Posts
Angel was the better show, so if you watch just one, watch Angel.

Buffy had 4 good-great seasons, Angel had 5 and the the best season overall of both shows

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
I watched Angel all the way through before watching Buffy, and I only watched Buffy afterwards because I wanted to pick up on all the references and whatnot. Never was a fan of the show, though I did think it started to pick up for the last few seasons. First few annoyed the shit out of me :p.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I miss these 2 shows.

It's not too important to watch them side by side or what not. The only 2 episode you should watch side by side is Buffy season 5-07 "Fools for Love" and then Angel season 2-07 "Darla". The flashbacks are sequential.

Edit: I think think they're the right episodes. They aren't sequential but they do crossover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts