Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems that most wrestling news sites hate Booker T's commentary.
Wade Keller and his buddies at The Torch thinks he's awful. The guys at Pro Wrestling Dot Net think he's terrible and hate listening to the man with a burning passion. Dave Meltzer is not a fan. Most guys at 411 hate him. The guys at The Pulse think his commentary hurts the product.
Well earlier today I was listening to The Bryan & Vinny Show, and Bryan Alvarez basically went into a rant on how Booker T's commentary is actually great while the other guys are shitty. And the way in which he explained it made a lot of sense actually

"Wrestling is supposed to be fun. I don't know how many times I've given this speech, wrestling is supposed to be fun. Booker T is one man in a 3 man booth. If your commentators are so shitty that you have to rely on Booker T to be good, that's your problem not mine. Booker T is goofy, he's wacky, he says funny things like he saw a mark on Sin Cara's boot...that's how he's telling them apart. He saw a mark on his boot, you notice that...you know what I mean? It's preposterous and he knew it, everybody knew it. He could see the expression on Sin Cara's face, of course he couldn't. It's funny!

He's a funny guy, he laughs at his own jokes, he doesn't take himself too seriously, fine! It's okay to have a little bit of comedy. You know, if Michael Cole was actually good and Josh Matthews wasn't afraid to say anything, and you had 2 great commentators and then the guy who is just funny (who said goofy and wacky things) it would be great.

I know Booker T is not really that good at his job, but he entertains me, he makes me laugh, he's a funny guy on the show. It's not Booker T's fault that Michael Cole and Josh Matthews, one of them sucks and one of them has had the life sucked out of them...that's not his fault. So I don't wanna hear people yelling about how terrible Booker T is, how upset they are.
It's okay for Booker T to be Booker T, it's not okay for the other 2 to also suck...those are the 2 that you should be upset about, not Booker T."
he's absolutely right. I really don't get the Booker T hate

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Booker T adds a bit of comic relief to the commentery, which is needed with cole and mathews. Not that they are bad becuase mathews and Cole are great without Booker T as well but they are still just as good with him.

Booker T does what Randy Savage did on Cemmentery in the early 90's. Michael Cole, Josh Mathews and Booker T remind me of JR, Bobby Heenen and Savage alot when they used to do commentery together. You had the neutral standpoint guy, the heel, and the outrageous one, they all fit those three.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH MAYNE! HE'S GONNA DO IT!, WHUT DUH HALE!, DATS A PRETTY GOOD POST RIGHT DARE DAWG, PROBABLY ONE OF MAH FAAAVE FIIIVE OWN DIS ENTIRE FORUM DAWG.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,369 Posts
I don't hate Booker's commentary, he just needs to tone it down. He doesn't need to yell into the headset and it's almost like he's obsessed with having no dead air. Also seems like he psyches himself up too much about the job. I get this image of him dunking his head in a sink full of water when the tapings are over because it's taken so much out of him.

Again, Booker's not terrible, just too hyper in most cases. At least that's what I see.

Cole is just a whole other thread in himself. I have nothing but pure hatred for that fat, douchebag weasel. And not "Oh, he's a heel so you're supposed to hate him" hatred, it's real, DAMN real! He takes away from the match so often that JR and King try to re-direct him.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,078 Posts
alvarez is a boss, he comes off more intelligent than dave.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Matthews is boring to me, and Cole always seems like he wants to stand on his chair and say "Hey everyone! Look at me! I'm the heel commentator!"

Booker T singing that the knee bone's connected to the ankle bone makes me laugh, and when he yells because of a move, it reminds me of being a kid and the people actually talked about the moves, not back story or random arguments about pronunciation, favorites, etc.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,369 Posts
Essentially, announcers need to speak in sound bytes, so Booker gets points for that with his reactions at times. Cole just argues cuz he's a fucking tool that has McMahon's hand shoved up his ass like a puppet.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Booker's the most entertaining announcer on either of the big shows. Josh has to be straight forward and bland in order to balance out the extremes of Booker and Cole. Everyone on Raw is lousy right now. NXT and Superstars have better commentary than Raw and Smackdown.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Spot on, basically. Matthews isn't bad, but lacks personality, while Cole is over the top and too keen to bury talent. Booker has a lot of personality and sounds like he's having fun. He actually seems to communicate things. I'd keep Booker and look for new co-commentators (Scott Stanford and William Regal preferably).

·
Banned
611 Posts

OH HAWL NAW DAWG! NOW COLE, NOW IMMA HAVE TO FUCK A SUCKA UP RIGHT DERE!

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
For the record, Alvarez wasn't bashing Matthews. He was saying that he knows Josh has a personality but he isn't allowed to put it out there because Cole can't keep his mouth shut. His Superstars work is great with Stanford, but because of Cole, he has to be the boring medium.

As for Booker, I don't get how anyone could hate him. He's a really funny dude. You just can't be unique at the commentary booth.

The ONLY reason why people would hate Booker is because he took Matt Striker's spot. And to be honest, I don't mind it as much. Booker is being Booker. Striker was getting way over the top and you could definitely tell if you watched him from starting as a color commentator to the end.

You can't even blame Booker for stealing Striker's spot either. Striker was a heel-type commentator and Cole took that position.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I've always liked Bryan Alvarez. :side: I agree 200% though, everything seems way more FUN when Booker T is on commentary. I love Matthews, but he's very reserved, so I feel like Booker is the perfect guy to have alongside him. He's a COLOR commentator. The COLOR commentator is supposed to bring life and vibrance to the booth and Booker does exactly that. He doesn't bury people, he focuses on whats going on in the ring, sure he makes mistakes, but what more could you possibly want out of the guy? He's the only commentator on TV right now that seems like he's genuinely enjoying his job.

·
Banned
1,054 Posts
I like him! Sure, he says one or two silly things but wrestlers botch too...

Im in the minority but I thought him and Lawler did great in the main event when Cole went off. Called the match well and really got into it. No stupid abusing each other like you get in most of Cole's matches...

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Totally agree. Booker does what he does well. He's the goofy wacky guy. That's fine. But it doesn't work well when your goofy wacky guy is your best/least annoying commentator. He needs a strong straight man to play off of and aside from JR they don't have any.

EDIT: Also agree with TJ in that he seems to be the only guy who has fun/wants to be there.

·
Really too good to wrestle in front of all you pri
1,660 Posts
Booker T puts wrestlers over. He doesn't constantly talk through their matches or promos about irrelevant bullshit nor other wrestlers not involved in the match.

Booker T gets a win. Plus he's funny as hell, whether he means to be or not is irrelevant. He's the Ian Holloway of the WWE.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
He's enthusiastic.

He loves the WWE product.

He puts absolutely EVERYONE over in a way that's both realistic (he's also willing to criticize) and credible (because he's a 6-time world champion).

And, in a very short time, he's generated more brilliant quotes than any announcer this side of Bobby Heenan.

What more do you want out of a face color commentator?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts