Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm wondering what people's opinions are of the living legend. I became a wrestling fan in 1985 watching NWA Jim Crockett World Wide Wrestling. By the time I discovered the WWF a few months later Bruno was well into winding down and was doing announcing work alongside Vince. I was aware that he used to be a big name in wrestling and over the years obviously I have found out how big a name Bruno really was. Undoubtedly Bruno was a major draw in the Northeast of America and was a huge ethnic hero and will go down as a true legend of the sport and of Madison Square Garden. However I have heard for years how Bruno was a great wrestler and Superstar Billy Graham and later Hulk Hogan were just showmen, great at putting arses in seats but not great wrestlers and I have to disagree. I have been collecting MSG shows back to the mid 60s and I don't see that Bruno was a great wrestler at all, he did nothing different from Graham or Hogan. People always comment on how Graham and Hogan always had the same match over and over again, never changing their routine but I have to say that Bruno did exactly the same. Bruno's matches always consisted of a few power moves and the majority was round house rights and and a stomp, in fact in the new WWE DVD of the best of MSG I counted 10 boots in the first 2 minutes of the match. The likes of Harley Race, Lou Thesz and Ric Flair always said Bruno was just a regional champion who didn't draw outside of the northeast and maybe they were right. I'm glad Bruno is back in the fold at WWE now and is being recognised but to put him up there with great wrestlers of the past I have to wince a little. I would definately put him up there as a great draw, one of the best, but as far as technical wrestling goes I don't think he was any better than Graham or Hogan at all. What do you guys think?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts