Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, He's finally on an environment where He will be able to be the best version of himself with no crappy booking and nonsense holding him back.

Looking forward to it

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Please, last time I watched any WWE I saw them say Blood n Guts like 3 times in a minute and then more the next day on twitter. They 100% pay attention lol, they copied AEWs hard cam placement last week for crying out loud
Hard cams have been used before. When did they say blood n guts? Seems like a coincidence. What would saying that do for anyone? Also taking notice and being on their radar are different things. Whether WWE is worried about them is a different story. AEW has stolen from other companies too.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yeah, He's finally on an environment where He will be able to be the best version of himself with no crappy booking and nonsense holding him back.

Looking forward to it
The best version of himself is literally a parody of Vince McMahon. I hope this was a joke comment

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I’m not a fan of it yet.

It still feels like a parody more than anything else. I’m mean it’s cute and all but if you take away the fact they’re mocking Vince, what is there?

To me, all that’s left are awkward segments that haven’t done anything to make me care more about the Dark Order.

People are hung up on that. Once irs it's over the real him will reveal that hes not IT. He doesnt have it and his in ring presences is lacking. This is like cm punk having a lucky storyline but in reality before that and after vthat he wasn't special to anyone

Im calling it now that hes not going to frszte real buzz

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I thought the Brodie Lee vignette this week was kinda like psychological horror.

I didn't notice any references to Vince this week at all?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Luke Harper became one of my favorite wrestlers. I believed there was so much wasted potential there. Now my heart has been broken to be shown that Vince McMahon was right.

This is fucking awful. The look, the smug jabs at Vince (yeah, because the billionaire who literally paid you to do nothing gives a fuck what you do in front of 700k people on TNT), The fucking Dark motherfucking Order. It's so bad. And did I mention the look? He looks like a fucking geek. They made Luke Harper look like such a loser. And he hangs out with losers. And he's the big dog there! The pawn in WWE that got surpassed by all his stablemates is a main event giant in AEW. Typical.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am split on Brodie. I like him because he is big, physical, and scary-looking, and this is especially good since AEW really needs some big men. And in a wrestling world which is too PG-rated, I like the scary and dangerous aspects that he possesses. In those respects, he is a good leader of the Dark Order.

On the negative though, I don't think he has interviewing ability or the overall charisma to be a leader.

I don't know. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have enjoyed this gimmick so far. Like some on here I had no idea about the Vince references until in read it on here. I also don't really care if they are.

Also I happened to be out of the room when the vignette last night came on but I could hear it. I legit thought my wife had turned it to NXT because he sounds exactly like Triple H. Watch it back and close your eyes and see if it doesn't sound like him even the speech pattern was the same.

·
Justice 4 Asuka
1,360 Posts
At first I liked the shots AEW were taking at WWE, but now a year into the company I think they should be moving past this.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,657 Posts
I think it works.

He comes across as an actual cult leader and not the super natural mysterious type that WWE would have you believe a cult leader is truly like.

Social manipulation and abusing the lower ranked members, who remain loyal to him regardless because the corporation he has them in makes them feel part of something.

I also like the contrast of the public face being how the Dark Order is a great thing to be apart of, where they look after the weak etc. Only to then see how abusive Brodie Lee is in the behind the scenes vignettes.

But what's the benefit of actually being in the Dark Order?

Well, cults don't usually have any benefit. You'll be brainwashed and broken down until you submit to their power and become a believer. Want to leave the Dark Order? Fine, but you won't be seen again.

I find myself interested in the next Brodie Lee vignette and find myself interested in how the live audience react to him when we are back infront of a live audience. We haven't truly seen him interact too much with Uno and Dos so will be interesting to see the dynamic and how far they go into the Dark Order.

The only negative I have against it is his attire.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I would really like to see how he interacts with Uno and Grayson...but I guess we might not get that until after this is over because they are based in Canada, right?

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Ive really enjoyed the gimmick. Maybe thats because when i watch these segments i just dont get A Vince Mcmahon parody vibe at all. Im willing to bet a lot arent and its much more enjoyable that way. In my opinion at least. I love the psycho boss angle. I wish we could have seen it planned out with the main dark order tag team involed but as for establishing Lee and keeping it going during these times I think hes doing great.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I feel like AEW has fallen into this habit where they have to mock the WWE every chance they get. Brodie Lee is doing a gimmick related to Vince, Jericho took a shot last week when he said Matt left WWE because the creative sucked (Or something like that), Cody Rhodes destroying the throne many months back was cringe and I'm sure there are others.

Much like with TNA in the past it just makes AEW look bad. Shots only really work if you're on the same level and AEW/WWE aren't on the same level.
yep...TNA 2.0
and nobody does cringe like cody

·
HEADBANGA
22,189 Posts
I don't see how his character is related to the Dark Order gimmick over all. The Dark Order took in misfits and gave them a purpose and how not be a loser. Then you get Brody as the leader and he is putting down his members and is a controlling maniac. I get that he is a cult leader but they are supposed to be enigmatic and extreme in their behaviors but he doesn't come off as charismatic.

·
Registered
21,619 Posts
LOL RapshepTURD trying to throw shade, meanwhile he thinks westlemania 36 IS too big for one night.
At least have the balls to be actually offensive and insulting

I don't see how his character is related to the Dark Order gimmick over all. The Dark Order took in misfits and gave them a purpose and how not be a loser. Then you get Brody as the leader and he is putting down his members and is a controlling maniac. I get that he is a cult leader but they are supposed to be enigmatic and extreme in their behaviors but he doesn't come off as charismatic.
Everything involving the Dark Order is just a mess for real. Brodie really should've been on his own proving how bad ass he could be, instead he's leading a group that was sinking before he even arrived. He's in a rough spot, he has to prove himself and save the Dark Order at the same time.

·
Premium Member
16,948 Posts
I think it works.

He comes across as an actual cult leader and not the super natural mysterious type that WWE would have you believe a cult leader is truly like.

Social manipulation and abusing the lower ranked members, who remain loyal to him regardless because the corporation he has them in makes them feel part of something.

I also like the contrast of the public face being how the Dark Order is a great thing to be apart of, where they look after the weak etc. Only to then see how abusive Brodie Lee is in the behind the scenes vignettes.

But what's the benefit of actually being in the Dark Order?

Well, cults don't usually have any benefit. You'll be brainwashed and broken down until you submit to their power and become a believer. Want to leave the Dark Order? Fine, but you won't be seen again.

I find myself interested in the next Brodie Lee vignette and find myself interested in how the live audience react to him when we are back infront of a live audience. We haven't truly seen him interact too much with Uno and Dos so will be interesting to see the dynamic and how far they go into the Dark Order.

The only negative I have against it is his attire.
While I can't say what a cult actually does (don't belong to any), my interpretation of the Dark order was much like Ham and Egger says. I understood cults to be pitched as this amazing thing that you have to be a part of. Once you're in, you feel loved and part of the team. I only saw the abuse of lower members when they do something wrong (sneeze, eat first), fail (lose a match), or want to leave. But, outright abusive and harsh towards the followers was never my interpretation of a cult.

I would like to see Brodie showing his manipulative or compassionate side. Show me the part where he fools someone into following him. Or, is Uno and the other guy the compassionate side that recruits? Brodie is the harsh consequences? I don't think each scene should start with everyone scared. The followers could like Brodie and trust him. When something goes wrong then they act disciplined. Perhaps they're just missing the first piece.

·
Mr Big Shot
91 Posts
Liked his debut, but he has underwhelmed since. I don't get the shots at Vince and I don't get why he is the exalted one. He needs to get the dark order over or this could be the nail for his career. I am judging it on the first three weeks but so far I prefer Luke Harper in WWE.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
While I can't say what a cult actually does (don't belong to any), my interpretation of the Dark order was much like Ham and Egger says. I understood cults to be pitched as this amazing thing that you have to be a part of. Once you're in, you feel loved and part of the team. I only saw the abuse of lower members when they do something wrong (sneeze, eat first), fail (lose a match), or want to leave. But, outright abusive and harsh towards the followers was never my interpretation of a cult.
I'd go out on a limb and say nobody on here is actively involved in a cult but from documentaries and reading about cults I'd say they can go either way really.

Some cult leaders brainwash their followers and are absolutely horrible to them afterwards with physical assaults, verbal abuse and public humiliation. A good example of this is Scientology where David Miscavige allegedly assaults members and is abusive to almost everyone no matter how high up they are.

On another side you have the charismatic cult leaders who are experts at manipulation and come across as wanting what is best for you and the followers but really they have selfish ulterior motives.

Also, as a third one you sometimes have leaders who buy into their own bullshit massively and truly love and believe in their followers and vice versa.

From what we've seen from Brodie so far he seems to be the first example as has every cult leader in wrestling really. Would love to see it get changed up one day and see this ultra charismatic and manipulative cult leader brainwashing wrestlers as other wrestlers see through it and try to save their friends from joining.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Ive really enjoyed the gimmick. Maybe thats because when i watch these segments i just dont get A Vince Mcmahon parody vibe at all. Im willing to bet a lot arent and its much more enjoyable that way. In my opinion at least. I love the psycho boss angle. I wish we could have seen it planned out with the main dark order tag team involed but as for establishing Lee and keeping it going during these times I think hes doing great.
It's not a vibe though. It's a literal representation of Vince McMahon and it's quite obvious

21 - 40 of 124 Posts