Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m usually quite skeptical when it comes to WWE guys shooting on their own creative being ignored, but Brodie Lee is quickly becoming one of the best new wrestling characters I’ve seen in years.

Call me crazy, but this has shades of Undertaker from his corporate ministry days to it.

I was wrong about him. That unique look really does work better when he’s wielding power as an intelligent monster heel.

The characters are so much better in AEW in general where the wrestlers have creative input.

Brodie Lee take a bow.

·
Registered
23,433 Posts
I’m not a fan of it yet.

It still feels like a parody more than anything else. I’m mean it’s cute and all but if you take away the fact they’re mocking Vince, what is there?

To me, all that’s left are awkward segments that haven’t done anything to make me care more about the Dark Order.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Up until now all he does is mocking VKM, which is low even for AEW standards. Especially picking on the smaller one of the guys, so it is not just the videos but his whole character. I know Cody is laughing his ass off about that, but this is just a waste of Brodie Lee

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’m not a fan of it yet.

It still feels like a parody more than anything else. I’m mean it’s cute and all but if you take away the fact they’re mocking Vince, what is there?

To me, all that’s left are awkward segments that haven’t done anything to make me care more about the Dark Order.
I guess the problem is that if you know it's a parody, or at least that's the starting point, it's hard to see past it. I didn't know any of that was a rip on Vince and I've quite enjoyed the character.

·
Registered
23,433 Posts
I guess the problem is that if you know it's a parody, or at least that's the starting point, it's hard to see past it. I didn't know any of that was a rip on Vince and I've quite enjoyed the character.
That’s a fair argument.

It’s just, 1, I do know it’s a parody of Vince. And 2, I just don’t find it that entertaining. I mean yes it establishes Brodie as this evil boss, but is not really find him compelling, nor does this stuff make me care more about the Dark Order.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I’m usually quite skeptical when it comes to WWE guys shooting on their own creative being ignored, but Brodie Lee is quickly becoming one of the best new wrestling characters I’ve seen in years.

Call me crazy, but this has shades of Undertaker from his corporate ministry days to it.

I was wrong about him. That unique look really does work better when he’s wielding power as an intelligent monster heel.

The characters are so much better in AEW in general where the wrestlers have creative input.

Brodie Lee take a bow.
I agree he's been great.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
I'm not into Brodie, YET. big YET because I liked his ring work in WWE. I think he cut 2 promos the whole time? lol Because of that I really want him to succeed. So far, I don't feel he's doing a good job. He's too bland for me. They also shifted the idea of the Dark Order as a cult where failures go to this Texas Chainsaw sort of family. It's bit too much like the Wyatts, definitely too many digs at Vince.

I think they're killing time with the promos. Once they get to a live audience and the story progresses, it should be great. Unfortunately, I feel the weak link is Brodie. I'm not sure exactly what it is.

·
Registered
21,503 Posts
Ironically this would be like a PG version of ministry Taker lol. Instead of flogging people and sacrificing folk. He's yelling about coughing and yawning. I don't think Brodie is nearly as good as people think, but this seems like a terrible use for a guy you're trying to show deserved better.

I mean let's say nobody knew he was taking shots at Vince. What he's done heel wise hasn't been all that interesting, and really isn't any more disrespectful than what Evil Uno was doing. I mean fucking Evil Uno used the Creepers as a chair. That's way more demeaning and showing a character is an evil creep weirdo, than "I must finish my steak first".

The Dark Order just wasn't good before Brodie and isn't good with him.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
That is the mission statement of The Dark Order? Why do they exist? Why are they in AEW?

This is like Version 3.0, a reboot on the reboot of the original idea.

Brodie could have played this boardroom character without any connection to the Dark Order failures. Brodie Corp could have been his thing.

Brodie Corp. could have been the opposite of The Dark Order. He could have been like Hank Scorpio (From that great The Simpsons episode), rather than the overt culty stuff targeting the marginalized he could have really light and friendly recruitment videos headhunting experts with very specific skills. Maybe they could still retcon it to Brodie taking over the Dark Order first, then AEW and then the WORLD.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn’t intending to praise the parody content of his storyline, more his unique character and how his wild expressions add credibility to his heel logic in interesting ways that I haven’t really seen before.

As for the storyline content, I was ‘meh’ about the direct shots at Vince, but if Dark Order turns out to be one giant, carefully planned parody of WWE all along... there’s potential there.

E.g. were they saying WWE’s performers are terrible at throwing punches?

And that they’re all literally just a nameless number? (“8” and “9” wrestled yesterday)

Either way, this new character is quality, I’m thinking it’ll only become more popular as the direct parodies die down.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
When does he force John Silver and Alex Reynolds to drop their first names? Or is that off limits because of "Cody" and especially "Trent"? Maybe he can make them wholly change their names so Brodie owns them. And/or give them silly names and tell them the names are good shit. Alex Reynolds can be Rolf Sizzler.

·
Registered
837 Posts
One thing has carried over from wwe. There is always this underlying feeling that someone's going to get hurt. If you've ever been in a room with someone like that, you know what I mean.

He gives off the vibe like any little could set him off and there will be hell to pay.

I like the slow burn and am along for the ride. His ring gear could be toned down a bit. But that's a minor critique. I'm curious to see where this goes.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
I like him but gonna nitpick...he looks amazing but, but,but that fucking selection of ring gears are awful.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I feel like AEW has fallen into this habit where they have to mock the WWE every chance they get. Brodie Lee is doing a gimmick related to Vince, Jericho took a shot last week when he said Matt left WWE because the creative sucked (Or something like that), Cody Rhodes destroying the throne many months back was cringe and I'm sure there are others.

Much like with TNA in the past it just makes AEW look bad. Shots only really work if you're on the same level and AEW/WWE aren't on the same level.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
Did Schiavone say "Why would anyone want to work for him" when talking about Brodie? An obvious hit at Vince.

If WWE doesn't have Rob Stone awkwardly attempt to hug a girl and make him look like he's an awkward weirdo next week, then AEW isn't even on their radar. It's time for everyone to get petty, not just AEW.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Please, last time I watched any WWE I saw them say Blood n Guts like 3 times in a minute and then more the next day on twitter. They 100% pay attention lol, they copied AEWs hard cam placement last week for crying out loud

1 - 20 of 124 Posts