Wrestling Forum banner

Brock Lesnar vs John Cena pushing to the top

2446 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  wacokid27
What's the difference with the fans?

When Brock Lesnar got pushed pushed to the top, he faced RVD, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Undertaker, Big Show, and Kurt Angle. He got the title the same year he came in, and he was beating all of the big names. He beat more big names than John Cena did when he got his major push. He was going to beat Stone Cold Steve Austin as well, but Austin didn't like the idea and the way the WWE was going so he left. He was a heel for half in his run, but he was a dominant heel. Most of the time he was destroying his opponents and he beat all of the ones listed.

When John Cena got pushed to the top, he faced Eddie Guerrero, JBL, Jericho, Angle, Edge and Triple H. He also did it in a slow process in comparison to Brock Lesnar. Cena was also a face. The fans started to boo him when he faced Jericho even when he was a face. When Brock was a heel and when he faced The Rock, they were cheering for Brock Lesnar.

What's the difference? Why the fans turn on Cena, complaining that he was forced down people throats when Brock Lesnar was doing the same thing? Was it because Brock Lesnar was a heel and it was more authentic that Brock Lesnar was a monster that couldn't be stopped? John Cena was a face, who the fans backed up until he faced Jericho.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,269 Posts
Brock Lesnar wasn't Superman.
No, no, no...

Brock WAS Superman. More than that, he was booked as a pissed off Superman. He could kill anyone he wanted.

Cena, on the other hand, is booked as the funny (yet not funny), part time smiling-part time angry (he changes for the lulz), baby-kisser, fat-women hugger, purple wearing version of Superman.

In other words: Lesnar was booked to destroy, Cena to corporate his ass for the company.

And I don't have anything against Cena, but this is the sad truth.

· Registered
4,924 Posts
You win too much, you get booed. Difference is, Cena's long drawn out Superman run has been going for too long. Lesnar wasn't around long enough for people to get sick of him.

And yeah, Lesnar looked more like a monster. Not just his size and strength, but his athleticism and amateur wrestling skills.

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, no, no...

Brock WAS Superman. More than that, he was booked as a pissed off Superman. He could kill anyone he wanted.

Cena, on the other hand, is booked as the funny (yet not funny), part time smiling-part time angry (he changes for the lulz), baby-kisser, fat-women hugger, purple wearing version of Superman.
I think that was it. Brock hardly lost. Even as a heel, he would beat people clean sometimes. He even had a mini beef against the nWo. But the WWE did something with Brock that Cena didn't. It could because Brock was very entertaining in the ring. His combine strength and quickness is a rarity. His mic skills were not up to par, but it didn't seem matter to him.

· Banned
174 Posts
Lesnar DID get booed and fans probably got sick of him. Remember at Backlash 2003 he got BOOED against guess who? Cena and during his face run Angle was more popular than him and Eddie. The crowd were also dead during his WM 19 match. So WWE turned him heel straight away.

Lesnar wasn't face long enough for people to get sick of him and booed as much as Cena. Lesnar was a HEEL for most of his career. His face run was short-lived only lasted from late 2002 till the summer of 03.

On the other hand, Cena has had the same character for like five years and all that time he has been booked like a dominate superman and has been in every SINGLE World/WWE title match since WM 21 2005

· ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,308 Posts
The difference is that Brock was good in-ring and still had a great gimmick. Unlike Cena who changed his gimmick that we all loved once he got to the top. Yes.. Brock was booked the same as Cena but fans liked him because of his in-ring ability and gimmick.

· Banned
2,581 Posts
No, no, no...

In other words: Lesnar was booked to destroy, Cena to corporate his ass for the company.

And I don't have anything against Cena, but this is the sad truth.
Superman is generally a good guy. Well, from what I've read.

Brock was dominant, he wasn't Superman.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Brock Lesnar didn't soften up when he got to the top. I think some people don't realise why they hate on Cena. They may claim it's because he's pushed so hard but in reality it's because of his character change. They supported the edgy rapper and Cena has eventually become the absolute opposite of that.

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lesnar DID get booed and fans probably got sick of him. Remember at Backlash 2003 he got BOOED against guess who? Cena and during his face run Angle was more popular than him and Eddie. The crowd were also dead during his WM 19 match. So WWE turned him heel straight away.

Lesnar wasn't face long enough for people to get sick of him and booed as much as Cena. Lesnar was a HEEL for most of his career. His face run was short-lived only lasted from late 2002 till the summer of 03.

On the other hand, Cena has had the same character for like five years and all that time he has been booked like a dominate superman and has been in every SINGLE World/WWE title match since WM 21 2005
He didn't get booed. At least he didn't booed enough for me to hear. Nobody booed Brock out of the arena that night, but the fans did say Lets go Cena a couple of times. It showed how over Cena was getting and his gimmick was working. It was similar how The Rock went against Kurt Angle at one point. I think it was when Angle first won the title. People cheered for Angle, but they didn't really boo The Rock either. I could be wrong though.

I also don't remember Cena being more over than Eddie, but Cena was pretty over.

But my whole point was that when Cena was the champion and battled against Jericho, Angle, and the rest of the guys, he got booed and people didn't really like it. Brock was similar, but he didn't get criticism as much. You're probably right though, that if Brock would've stayed as a face and long as Cena, he might've got booed. But it didn't take long for Cena to get booed. Once he was champion and went to Raw, he got booed kind'a soon. The fans were divided.

· Banned
2,174 Posts
1. Brock was indeed a rushed one but it was okay for the time because

1a. Broick was and is a legitimate athelete, big fast and was a kurt angle in the making

2. he has done stuff we havent seen before, he was entertaining as well as a perfect fit in the stereotype of a pro wrestler, no more no less, until they made hi a manager less heel where the tired heel conventions were used on him in all their degrading annoying typical fashion. Brock didnt need any of it, he was a natural

3. Standing next to Cena its obvious who was/is better than who

4. Cena, while getting a proper push as he should, was pushed a blatantly obvious marketing machine not as the guy we once knew who might one day naturally slip into main man of the compompany like lesnar did. Problem is he either wasnt given enough time or just wasnt up to the standard altogether in the long run via reasons mentioned above.

5.Brock was good for all ages. Whereas Super Cena wasnt.

Can i elaborate on this any clearer?

· Registered
20,764 Posts
Brock Lesnar wasn't Superman.

Brock was superman. He beat like almost all of the major stars in the WWE in a *TWO* year period. This includes:

Undertaker
Rock
Was booked to beat Austin but didn't happen due to Austin walking out.
Cena
Kurt Angle
Hogan
Big Show
The Hardyz [A legitimate multi world champion tag team] in 2 on 1 matches.
Chris Benoit

· Registered
10,918 Posts
Lesnar is no Superman but he is OVERRATED.

Man Lesnar was a one hit wonder, over pushed and his title run came way too early. By 2003 the guy was irrelevant and just fricking boring. Week after week, it was just Lesnar going on his usual roid rage. But I'm one of the few that holds that opinion.

Lesnar got pushed way too fast and anytime that happens the talent 99.9% of the times becomes irrelevant after they lose the title. Sheamus is currently a victim of this same situation.

· Registered
267 Posts
Cena is a lot like the Rock (excuse me while I get out of the way of the flying eggs and tomatoes) in the way both came up. The difference is what they did when they got to the top.

Rock (after the "Rocky Maivia, Blue Chipper" abortion) was booked as a solid, powerful heel all the way to the main event. When he got there and turned face, he was a heelish face, using a lot of the same mannerisms and catchphrases he had used on his way up, despite the fact that he was no longer a heel. They gave his character an edge that made him popular with kids AND adults.

Cena was booked as a solid, powerful heel all the way to the main event/upper mid card. When he got there and turned face, his character changed completely. Instead of keeping that edge that the adult fans loved. He stopped rapping, he stopped being edgy, and, while he kept the kid-fans, he lost a lot of the adult-fans.

Their similarities are what make the Rock-Cena feud intriguing. It's a lot like pitting Hogan and Rock was back a few years ago. It's the old version vs. the new version. Now, we just need to see a real Jericho-BDB feud, a real Undertaker-CM Punk feud, a Flair-HHH feud, and an Austin-Orton feud (I don't expect to EVER see the last three, but I can dream). Then the circle would be complete. Remember, wrestling characters are cyclical. You see them now, wait a few years, and you will see them again.

wk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.