Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dave Meltzer gave the Triple Threat match from Royal Rumble ****3/4. That is the highest he has rated a WWE main roster match since WM28, when he gave the same rating to HHH vs. Taker.

Thoughts? I personally didn't like the match as much. I'd give it "only" ****. Great match, but I think there has been a lot of better ones since WM28.

·
Say something stupid
2,972 Posts
It was a really physical match made only sweeter by the presence of Rollins who came out looking golden.

He hung with the "big dogs" and I think that little surprise made the match all the more enjoyable, it gave the match some flexibility, you had the power and physicality of Cena and Brock, and the athletic, dare devil style of Rollins.

It made a potentially predictable match, something fresh and exciting and definitely payed off. It was an awesome match that was only hindered slightly by the reliance on finisher spots.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It was a pretty awesome match. 4.75 stars, definitely not 5 stars, but close to it.

I wouldnt say it's the best match in the last 2 or 3 years though. The Shield has multiple matches on them (Vs Evolution, Ryback/Kane/Bryan, Wyatts), and Cesaro probably has a few matches that would challenge that match.

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think all of these matches > that match

Since WM28:
Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk (Over the Limit 2012)
Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk (Money In The Bank 2012)
John Cena vs. CM Punk (Night of Champions 2012)
Team Hell No & Ryback vs. The Shield (TLC 2012)
CM Punk vs. John Cena (RAW 2013)
CM Punk vs. The Undertaker (Wrestlemania 29)
Team Hell No & The Undertaker vs. The Shield (RAW 2013)
Team Hell No & Kofi Kingston vs. The Shield (RAW 2013)
Team Hell No vs. The Shield (RAW 2013)
Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins (RAW 2013)
Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton (RAW Street Fight 2013)
Daniel Bryan vs. Antonio Cesaro (RAW 2013)
CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar (SummerSlam 2013)
Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena (SummerSlam 2013)
Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton (RAW December 2013)
Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt (Royal Rumble 2014)
Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton (RAW 2014)
John Cena vs. Cesaro (RAW 2014)
The Shield vs. The Wyatt's (Elimination Chamber 2014)
Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H (Wrestlemania 30)
Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista (Wrestlemania 30)
Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena (SummerSlam 2014)

So I thought it was not THAT good, but still very good. :D

·
NO PAIN!
5,277 Posts
Great, great match. Better than Punk/Lesnar, Punk/Bryan OTL 12', Cena/Lesnar ER 12', Shield/Wyatt's EC, Punk/Taker WM 29, or Shield vs Hell No/Ryback TLC 12? Nah, no way in my humble opinion. But that's what opinions are for. I have the triple threat at ****1/4 and all those other matches are in the ****1/2-****3/4 range with the exception of Punk/Lesnar SS 13' which I gave the full ***** and consider it the best WWE match since Eddie/JBL Judgement Day 2004. To each their own, though. Those 3 guys absolutely killed it, either way.

·
#OVER
11,548 Posts

Since WM28:

DO U LIKE DANIEL BRYAN M8?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
It was a really physical match made only sweeter by the presence of Rollins who came out looking golden.

He hung with the "big dogs" and I think that little surprise made the match all the more enjoyable, it gave the match some flexibility, you had the power and physicality of Cena and Brock, and the athletic, dare devil style of Rollins.

It made a potentially predictable match, something fresh and exciting and definitely payed off. It was an awesome match that was only hindered slightly by the reliance on finisher spots.
Rollins was always going to hang Arca, the guy is a Ring of Honor Champ during its glory years. It was always about been given his chance and taken it and he did. Known WWE expect him to lose the cash in and be buried by Reigns cause you know best for business :vince$

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Great, great match. Better than Punk/Lesnar, Punk/Bryan OTL 12', Cena/Lesnar ER 12', Shield/Wyatt's EC, Punk/Taker WM 29, or Shield vs Hell No/Ryback TLC 12? Nah, no way in my humble opinion. But that's what opinions are for. I have the triple threat at ****1/4 and all those other matches are in the ****1/2-****3/4 range with the exception of Punk/Lesnar SS 13' which I gave the full ***** and consider it the best WWE match since Eddie/JBL Judgement Day 2004. To each their own, though. Those 3 guys absolutely killed it, either way.
I add Bryan/Cena and Bryan/HHH to some great matches during that time. But the triple threat was excellent.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,034 Posts
The HBK/Taker matches were better. But this one was still good. **** - ****1/4

60,006 Posts
I liked it, but the over reliance on finishing spam and its psychology took it down slightly, The triple threat at Mania was better to me. It had a better storyline, crowd reactions and had the best damn near falls at the end of anything in recent memory. I place both at over 4 stars, so my complaint about the Rumble triple threat is a minor one.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Great match, I don't think too tightly about these sort of things when it comes to star ratings & all that bullshit but let's just say it's in that area I put matches like Punk/Taker, Punk/Lesnar, Cena/Bryan in. Excellent Excellent match.

·
The Man
25,723 Posts
DO U LIKE DANIEL BRYAN M8?
If Bryan was somewhere in the match even as the ref, he'd probably rate it a little bit higher imo.

The they made Brock look too strong, the 3 AAs and Curbstomp spot was the only negative for me. Everything else was perfect, amazing amazing match that I have watched a few times already. The ending was wow.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I honestly think it's one of the best matches I've seen in WWE. I don't think finisher spam was a problem, it was only spammed on Lesnar who is literally booked like no one else ever so that was fine. And most false finishes came from the other guy breaking up the pin.

Plus finisher spam has been a pretty big issue in the last few years (Rock/Cena WM 29 was the biggest overkill I've ever seen), and it wasn't as bad as some of the recent ones. Plus there was build up to the finishers, they weren't just out of nowhere.

·
Banned
10,735 Posts
This match is great, but a little overrated. I'd rate if 4 stars. Not four and a half, or four and three quarters, just four stars. I've seen better matches recently from Lucha Underground and New Japan Pro Wrestling. And off the top of my head, the first Shield/Wyatt match was way more fun and exciting. There are three moments people remember from this match. Lesnar through the table, Rollins doing that crazy move off the turnbuckle and Lesnar kicking out of three Attitude Adjustments and a curb stomp. Beyond that the match is pretty forgettable with Lesnar doing way too many suplexes.

Much of the hype around this match is Lesnar. Not knocking Seth's amazing performance, but Lesnar just has this amazing presence that elevates matches that he's in. And WWE books him in a way that no one else on roster is booked, including even Cena. Who else but Lesnar would kick out of three straight Attitude Adjustments and a curb stomp? No one. You just can't do that in a match with any other guy. So you can get away with stuff in a Lesnar match you can't with anyone else because he's built as someone almost super human even by Cena standards.

·
Registered
8,511 Posts

Since WM28:

Pretty much how he thought this match was almost worthy of 5* is beyond me. Don't get me wrong it was a good ass match but yeah...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.