Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1740 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Just got back from 4FW's show and had a blast as always. Ultimo Dragon and Owen Phoenix took on Kid Kash and Doug Williams in the match of the night. Dragon is getting on a bit in age but still managed to get his signature spots in while Phoenix worked the majority of the match. Kid Kash was a total star in this match. Just kicking and chopping the crap out of poor Phoenix. Kash is simply fantastic at being a total dickhead (both in ring and out as I found out tonight).

The sleeper hit was the opener of Dave Mastiff (without a doubt, one of the best workers in the UK) taking on Pete Dunne. The match was made great by the contrasts in styles and served well as an opening match.

I personally thought the main event of Shelton Benjamin facing Benham Ali to be quite underwhelming. It felt very formulaic and nothing at all stood out. But hey, at least I can say I've seen Shelton Benjamin wrestle live.

Overall, this was a fun show. I'd also like to point out 4FW will be releasing the Friday show on their Youtube channel for free. Can't wait for that.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Off to see Nigel McGuinness's documentary in Manchester today, so to prep I just watched the ROH World and Pure unification match against Daniel Bryan in Liverpool for the first time. With everything in mind, those bloody head-butt spots made me feel physically sick.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Scottish wrestling seems cool. I don't know much about British Wrestling - is it one big UK wide community, or would you say it is regional/national? I'd be quite interested in Scottish wrestling as I think the 'patter' would be hilarious and I might be able to attend it. UK wide wrestling wouldn't interest me that much.
Over the years everyone has seemed to stay in their own region with only the top workers going between up and down the country.

Up here in Scotland I'd say there is an outstanding core of wrestlers that are all coming through at the same time, in addition to a few veterans. Most guys work most of the promotions in Scotland with a guy like Noam Dar working down south quite often.

Plenty of Scottish based shows to attend though.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm desperate to go see a Scottish show, from what I've heard, they're so much fun. Once I pass my driving test, I'm definitely taking a road trip.

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
Thanks for the all star posts, I've been meaning to get to one of their shows for ages, haven't been since I was tiny.

So sad to hear about Mick McManus.
I really envy everyone who has opportunities to see wrestling live, considering I cannot but, outside of PWG, ASW would be my most favourite promotion to kick it to. If their vibe all those years ago was similar to how it was today, I don't think I'd be able to have any fonder childhood memories.

Not even exaggerating. The kids sound like they have an utter blast.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I really envy everyone who has opportunities to see wrestling live, considering I cannot but, outside of PWG, ASW would be my most favourite promotion to kick it to. If their vibe all those years ago was similar to how it was today, I don't think I'd be able to have any fonder childhood memories.

Not even exaggerating. The kids sound like they have an utter blast.
I have so many fond memories of their shows as a kid, the talent always made you feel a part of the show, it was amazing. IPW:UK was great for that too.

·
I'm A Hugger
9,913 Posts
Hoping to go to my first PCW (Preston City Wrestling) show on Saturday. Lita, Shelton Benjamin, Goldust, Chris Masters, Steiners, Doug Williams amongst those who'll be there. I'll get to see Noam Dar too, Dave Rayne as well. If I feel better we'll be going.:)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Hoping to go to my first PCW (Preston City Wrestling) show on Saturday. Lita, Shelton Benjamin, Goldust, Chris Masters, Steiners, Doug Williams amongst those who'll be there. I'll get to see Noam Dar too, Dave Rayne as well. If I feel better we'll be going.:)
I gotta check out Preston. Has a good rep.

I need to check out more UK based promotions because ICW is sick.

Anyone have a top 5 list? I know England has a few and Scotland has at least two others besides ICW.

·
Fire, walk with me
8,000 Posts
I'm heading out to Preston for the Friday and Saturday shows too. Looking forward to it for sure. Hoping Benjamin is motivated for it, one of the guys im going with is a massive mark for him.

I need to see that Kash/Williams tag, that team is greatness.

·
I'm A Hugger
9,913 Posts
I can't believe that my little hometown of Preston has had this reputable promotion for a while now without me being aware of it. I really hope I feel better for Saturday night so I can get there. Pity Lita's not actually wrestling.

·
I'm A Hugger
9,913 Posts
Live reports from both of you please.
Sod that! I'll be happy just with going, feel so rough. My mate's not happy with me keeping him waiting. There's still tickets left so we can pay on door and it's only £15. Worth going just for this:

Gutted The Million Dollar Man was there and I didn't know!:sad:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'll be at both shows & will feed back. Nige, I've no idea how you've managed to avoid the PCW hype around town for the last two years. It is noteworthy that neither show has sold out in advance - especially after last time's success with DiBiase, Dreamer, Steen & Gargano. I'm sure they'll fill the place on the night, but I think they've overdone it with the way past their prime names this time & it hasn't paid off. I'm hoping for a 'surprise' Williams title win, so he can face Dar in August's Iron Man match, but I'm not holding my breath. Also reckon The Steiners will win the belts on night one & drop them to Team Single on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'll be at both shows & will feed back. Nige, I've no idea how you've managed to avoid the PCW hype around town for the last two years. It is noteworthy that neither show has sold out in advance - especially after last time's success with DiBiase, Dreamer, Steen & Gargano. I'm sure they'll fill the place on the night, but I think they've overdone it with the way past their prime names this time & it hasn't paid off. I'm hoping for a 'surprise' Williams title win, so he can face Dar in August's Iron Man match, but I'm not holding my breath. Also reckon The Steiners will win the belts on night one & drop them to Team Single on Saturday.
The single biggest reason why British Wrestling has stagnated for decades.

I gotta check out Preston. Has a good rep.

I need to check out more UK based promotions because ICW is sick.

Anyone have a top 5 list? I know England has a few and Scotland has at least two others besides ICW.
Everyone will have different opinions but ICW has pretty much shot to the top of the list in the last year. 4FW and PCW always pop up though. Scottish Wrestling Alliance is my local promotion and I can only speak about the in-ring product positively.

·
Registered
21,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
I was working tonight, so couldn't make it to PCW but I'll be going along with Gunner14 tomorrow, should be pretty decent. Anyone who sees me, come say hello would be good to meet a few other WF'ers.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Anyone seen Progress Chapter 6? Thinking of ordering the dvd.
Chapter Six was incredible, the Richochet match was awesome and The London Riots tag match was brilliant too. A really good card, I'd go for it.

I'm definitely going to see a PCW show before the year is out, I've heard so many good things about them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, both my PCW title change predictions happened. Williams pinned T-Bone in a pretty mundane affair. Crowd was dead & disinterested for most of it, but popped huge for the 'surprise'. Really hope they've got Williams booked to face Dar in August's Iron Man match. Steiners beat Fight Club with the top rope bulldog double team after GM Nigel McGuinness ordered a restart when Fight Club got themselves deliberately DQ'd. This was better than I'd feared - Rick & Scott had their working boots on & the fans were well into the Steiners' signature spots. I'm assuming T-Bone & Rampage get the belts tomorrow night.

Over all a fairly lacklustre show. The majority of the crowd was obviously there to see the imports, so between the big pops there was little sustained heat. MotN was the all-action four-way opener between Ligero, Kirkby, Travis & Hayes. Ligero won to become number one contender to Dave Rayne's Cruiserweight title (which he hasn't defended once in four months). There was also a decent elimination four-way with Mastiff, Moss, Rampage & Masters, which Masters took after a lengthy segment with Rampage. Davids vs. Bubblegum was short & messy, and Dar vs. Hope was fine, but totally dead.

·
Registered
21,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Well, both my PCW title change predictions happened. Williams pinned T-Bone in a pretty mundane affair. Crowd was dead & disinterested for most of it, but popped huge for the 'surprise'. Really hope they've got Williams booked to face Dar in August's Iron Man match. Steiners beat Fight Club with the top rope bulldog double team after GM Nigel McGuinness ordered a restart when Fight Club got themselves deliberately DQ'd. This was better than I'd feared - Rick & Scott had their working boots on & the fans were well into the Steiners' signature spots. I'm assuming T-Bone & Rampage get the belts tomorrow night.

Over all a fairly lacklustre show. The majority of the crowd was obviously there to see the imports, so between the big pops there was little sustained heat. MotN was the all-action four-way opener between Ligero, Kirkby, Travis & Hayes. Ligero won to become number one contender to Dave Rayne's Cruiserweight title (which he hasn't defended once in four months). There was also a decent elimination four-way with Mastiff, Moss, Rampage & Masters, which Masters took after a lengthy segment with Rampage. Davids vs. Bubblegum was short & messy, and Dar vs. Hope was fine, but totally dead.
Cheers

Card for tomorrow's show?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Cheers

Card for tomorrow's show?
Oh god. Off the top of my head: Steiners vs. Team Single, Masters vs. Travis, Rayne vs. Goldust, Davids vs. Banks (Lita as ref), some kinda six-way (feat. Dar, Mastiff & Allmark) and, oh shit, Williams vs. Hayes, so maybe both belts will switch again.

181 - 200 of 1740 Posts