Wrestling Forum banner

Bring Back Backstage Brawls

3753 Views 59 Replies 44 Participants Last post by  RapShepard

While thinking about things that the product is missing earlier, I stumbled across this youtube video and was reminded of the importance of backstage brawls. These made feuds feel personal. Nowadays, people just wrestle a match, it ends clean, and then they repeat the process the next week. This is one of many reasons why there's no emotional investment in the product. Back in the day, if someone screwed a wrestler over or disrespected them, they looked for their ass with a weapon or just barraged them with an array punches until the two got separated by referees. The Undertaker and Lesnar brawl got great reviews. We don't need every brawl to be that extensive, but we do need them in general.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,962 Posts
They need to add some creativity outside the ring full stop I think, I mean backstage brawls are a good place to start but remember when they'd go to their house, hotel rooms, outdoors etc.. at various places, they should stretch the storylines outside of the actual arena's and rings, which would make it much better.

Even when you go back to the whole Ric Flair and Elizabeth scenario, Jake Roberts and Macho Man with the snake in the box, they kind of stick to the arena's now and that's it.

Backstage brawls definitely would be a good place to start, but in general they probably should branch out a little I think :)

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They need to add some creativity outside the ring full stop I think, I mean backstage brawls are a good place to start but remember when they'd go to their house, hotel rooms, outdoors etc.. at various places, they should stretch the storylines outside of the actual arena's and rings, which would make it much better.

Even when you go back to the whole Ric Flair and Elizabeth scenario, Jake Roberts and Macho Man with the snake in the box, they kind of stick to the arena's now and that's it.

Backstage brawls definitely would be a good place to start, but in general they probably should branch out a little I think :)

Yeah, the bottom line is there's too much of "Hey, these two guys are 'feuding'. They're going to wrestle each other four consecutive times on free television for no real reason, and then a fifth time on PPV. Why don't you care?"

· Registered
1,502 Posts
100% agreed. When something like that happens, the rivalry itself feels personal and that's what's missing in a lot of rivalries today. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSYqi0_3v7U
I was not a fan of Triple H's reign around this time, but I liked each and every minute of this brawl with Nash. The fisicallity, the facial expressions, the crowd everything top notch.

18,962 Posts

Yeah, the bottom line is there's too much of "Hey, these two guys are 'feuding'. They're going to wrestle each other four consecutive times on free television for no real reason, and then a fifth time on PPV. Why don't you care?"
Exactly, they could make it more personal this way too with the outside brawls and things, I know they were a bit over the top storylines, but Boss Man's storyline came to mind for me with the dogs, big show etc... and also Brian Pillman, they used to get into doing these quite often but now it's like, just in the arena's lately for some reason.

I think they should calm down on the pre PPV matches too and concentrate on the build up, then let them clash and have that big match at the PPV, as opposed to that match we've seen on Raw, or will see again on Raw after the PPV, I really do wish they'd avoid that to be honest as it builds up the anticipation more to see them clash.

I mean, you don't see Brock Lesnar fighting The Undertaker do you before the PPV in a match of some sort ... and why, cause they save it for the PPV where we can't wait to see them clash.

Seeing them fight too much and on the regular weekly shows, takes away the speciality of them clashing at a PPV I think ... for me personally anyway :)

· TEAM KICK!
11,135 Posts
Definitely. There's not enough depth to a lot of feuds these days. Especially the title feuds, most of them just revolve around 2 people having a match for a belt, while being on commentary for each other's matches and occasionally verbally attacking each other during in ring segments.

With some tag matches involving people in a completely unrelated feud thrown in, of course.

· Premium Member
61,283 Posts
Absolutely. Seems like the only backstage segments we get these days are talking segments, which are by and large not even needed. Why they took away the backstage brawl is beyond me. It's almost like they're trying to make the product as plodding, predictable, and boring as possible while at the same time taking away any grittiness the product once had.

· Registered
999 Posts
Yes please. I don't want to see just the aftermath of a person laying on the ground, hurt. Doesn't have much as much of an impact comparatively. I want to actually see two people who hate each other go completely at it. No talking please, just throw fists.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes please. I don't want to see just the aftermath of a person laying on the ground, hurt. Doesn't have much as much of an impact comparatively. I want actually to see two people who hate each other go completely at each other. No talking please, just throw fists.
Yeah, I was specifically thinking about the laziness of the Natalya angle. They could have had a shadowy figure, or a woman in a black hoodie being filmed from behind while attacking her out of nowhere. Paige wears a black hoodie, so it would add to the suspicion on her until it's revealed that it was someone else, to the surprise of the audience.

· WeeWoo WeeWoo
22,540 Posts
Backstage brawls and segments.

At least with the app and stuff they were doing a decent amount, but now there's like none. C'mon, WWE.

I remember there was a bomb ass Swagger and Big E backstage brawl before when Swagger was going after the IC title. I knew he was losing, but it made me hyped for the match and kinda sold the RA disbandment as it was selling his frustration with Zeb and the team as a whole. If it can do that with a throwaway match to fill a card, then imagine what it can do for legit angles and stuff.

Video Link (can't find it anywhere else):http://pl.wwe.com/videos/2014/02/22/jack-swagger-gets-angry-wwe-app-exclusive-feb.-21-2014

18,962 Posts
Yeah, I was specifically thinking about the laziness of the Natalya angle. They could have had a shadowy figure, or a woman being filmed from behind in a hoodie attacking her out of nowhere. Paige wears a hoodie, so it would add to the suspicion on her until it's revealed that it was someone else, to the surprise of the audience.
Aye, you could imagine that before they filmed it 'Right Nattie, lay on the floor miss and just pretend to be hurt and roll around so we can make it look like you were attacked'

Why not add some intrigue to the attack or actually show something happening, even if you don't see the actual talent involved (if they want to keep it like a 'Who Shot Mr Burns' type mystery) ... but they don't, they just throw together an after attack, which is a bit shit really.

They could have so made that better, see the lights go out, a hand on a light switch maybe (wear a glove if you don't to give the game away) ... I dunno, something, but they didn't, I mean if that actually happened and you were attacked you would be saying straight away 'It was Paige who did it' for example, you're in a bright room, even attacked from behind lets say you'd see at some point ... but not in the WWE, you turn into Mr Magoo when needed lol

· Registered
384 Posts
The thing I used to love is when the cameraman wasn't kayfabe invisible during backstage segments. Even when I was a small kid I used to roll my eyes at the fact that people were supposedly whispering and having private sessions planning something with the camera man sitting there recording them live for the entire audience to see. Or how the cameraman happened to always be right there whenever something happened.

I enjoyed the few times when you'd see the cameraman running backstage to catch people fighting or when stars would throw the cameraman out when they were talking. It made it feel more believable to me.

But yeah we need out of the ring brawls and segments that don't just include interrupting an interview with a stare down. Best segment in history was when Stone Cold proceeded to beat the shit out of Booker T all over the grocery store for like 20 mins straight lol. THAT was hilarious.

· The Last Dragon
15,302 Posts
Backstage, Office, Shop, Toilet, Hotel, Cemetery, Buffet... Bring back ANY brawls. :mj2

· Registered
999 Posts
Yeah, I was specifically thinking about the laziness of the Natalya angle. They could have had a shadowy figure, or a woman in a black hoodie being filmed from behind while attacking her out of nowhere. Paige wears a black hoodie, so it would add to the suspicion on her until it's revealed that it was someone else, to the surprise of the audience.
Sadly I think in this day and age, that's almost too much effort to be asked from the creative team and Vince.

"Let's just have Natalya get beat up off screen with Paige acting suspicious. Also let's just make Charlotte and Becky drooling idiots through the whole thing even though Paige is clearly acting very suspicious."

Yep...that's the good stuff.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.