Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually not one to dwell on whereabouts backstage, but I came across this article a few days ago.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/845...oduct-competing-against-daniel-bryan-and-more

Kendrick on what has been lost in wrestling nowadays:
"I just turned 38 this week, and the old man in me—the complaint that I have is that there isn’t any of that anymore where people go backstage and criticize each other about their match. I go back and harass the agents, and I will sit in Gorilla next to an Agent, unless another Agent needs a seat. I will start picking brains; earlier it was [Mike] Rotunda, there was also Paul Heyman, but whoever is there—Dean Malenko, I will start pestering him and I see guys walk by and they’re not asking anyone for advice. When I was there before, Chris [Benoit] or Eddie [Guerrero], I would ask them in advance if you have time would you please watch this match, and they always would, and when I would get back, sometimes they would be screaming in my face, you’re doing a Tornado DDT, it’s not the finish, you’re killing the business, etc. Now it’s gone, so I’m stuck with just talking with Agents. If he has a chance to watch I will pick his brain. I’ve been lucky enough to have Rhyno watch a match. Maybe it is just me getting old, but I think that it is getting lost unfortunately is asking these guys who have had success, who have done it all, who have drawn money and just picking their brain and even if you’re in a headlock, and you’re against the rope and you get shot off, why would you let go of the headlock? Nobody cares, I’m not saying nobody cares, but the problem is that getting back to the locker room, they have their sweat and their opponents sweat, and all they’re doing is looking their name up on Twitter and so if they can hear all this positive feedback from the fans it’s like, who the hell cares what Dean Malenko has to say? That’s not me saying this, this is the impression I get from them and I think it’s a shame."

After reading this, I too think it's a shame that the guys don't critique each other's matches or ask for much advice from veterans. As someone who's looking to get into the business himself, this kind of makes me feel like they don't care much about the product and just about the money. Even in that aspect, if the quality of your character and the product as a whole gets better, then everyone makes more money. What are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: SureUmm

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Very interesting. The part at the end about everyone having their own ass-kissing section is definitely true. Kendrick's ring work is so purposeful now, so this mentality makes perfect sense for him and it makes him a better performer on a deeper level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.