Wrestling Forum banner

261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Do you think it was the wrestling or the story lines that won you over?
I didn't even see this question lol Was the stories I guess, got into it with the Austin vs. McMahon story, when a wrestler vs. a non wrestler feud changes the business you know it has nothing to do with wrestling itself.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Exactly.

You don’t need casuals and you damn sure shouldn’t cater to them. If you look at the major sports in America, so many of their problems among fans is their intent on catering to casuals.
What American sports are you watching. All of them are actively trying to appeal to getting more casuals. Which is why every sport is always trying to increase scoring (exciting for casuals) at the detriment of players on the defensive side (something more exciting for hardcore fans).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
What American sports are you watching. All of them are actively trying to appeal to getting more casuals. Which is why every sport is always trying to increase scoring (exciting for casuals) at the detriment of players on the defensive side (something more exciting for hardcore fans).
NBA and NFL focusing on ramping up the offense for high scoring games has made hardcore fans who love defense and physicality hate the product. Sure the ratings are up and TV money is huge but it’s hurt the overall product.

MLB has made changes to switching pitchers and also have added the pitch clock recently to speed up the game to draw in more viewers.

Wrestling is a niche market, you don’t need mainstream appeal to be successful. Cater to the people who will support you no matter what not the fair-weather audience hoping for the glory days of the 90s.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
NBA and NFL focusing on ramping up the offense for high scoring games has made hardcore fans who love defense and physicality hate the product. Sure the ratings are up and TV money is huge but it’s hurt the overall product.

MLB has made changes to switching pitchers and also have added the pitch clock recently to speed up the game to draw in more viewers.

Wrestling is a niche market, you don’t need mainstream appeal to be successful. Cater to the people who will support you no matter what not the fair-weather audience hoping for the glory days of the 90s.
I agree you don't need mainstream to be successful, but it's clear wrestling and especially hardcore fans in general have been craving it. I don't know you specifically, so I can't speak on you. But I feel like we've both been around this board or other boards to know and realize a lot of diehard wrestling fans feel some type of way about wrestling not being mainstream popular.

It's why Raw, SmackDown, and AEW can consistently be a top 5-10 show every night and still somehow be considered a big time failure that proves wrestling is so super dead.

261 - 265 of 265 Posts