Wrestling Forum banner

241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Banned
314 Posts
Stop catering to hardcore fans. I am in this group, so I do not say this with viciousness: We are not cool. We might be in other facets of our lives (or may not be), but wrestling fandom is not cool. It will not “catch.”

Plus, we’re all going to follow anyway. Try and get people who would follow wrestling, but aren’t “workrate perverts” (I heard that term once, and while I hate “workrate,” I love that phrase). People who might go for the work. The energy of a brawl. Two guys talking shit then walking the shit. Hardcores will watch, but others might too. Appealing to hardcores is going to cap you.

Hardcore fans also make it hard to push guys. I’m sorry, but they do. John Cena is not an untalented man. Roman Reigns is not an untalented man. People do not like the pushes. They know it’s rigged, so they make anyone getting that sort of corporate backing a heel. I was right there with them on Cena, because I had ideas like “deserving” and “journey” in my head. That’s partially WWE’s fault, and wrestling’s fault.

When you are left with only hardcores, you push anyone and fans are going to go “Such and such NEVER loses!”. They lose once: “Such and such is buried!” You have freakin’ people who don’t think AJ Styles is a good worker, for crying out loud.

When you appeal to wider audiences, the product can speak for itself and influence, as opposed to being influenced and responding to fans who think they know. If you filled arenas with people who wanted to fuck Roman Reigns, people who didn’t want to fuck with Roman Reigns, and kids who wanted to be a Roman Reigns, you might get a popular Roman Reigns.

I’m only using WWE as an example because it’s obvious there. AEW fans currently feel like they are part of the AEW product, but it’s going to be a similar problem. They need to build babyface and heel stars to build around, and that is going to mean going beyond what the hardcore fans think they know.

It’s possible to both work the casual fans and the hardcores. That is when you could really get a product working. The trick is to not make the angles too inside. They’re trying that with Joey Janela and Kip Sabian, but...well, the talent level there is fucked.

The company that works out how to work the internet fan first is going to benefit a lot.
I’ve been posting about wrestling in the Internet for probably 15+ years. And I’ve never heard a self proclaimed hardcore fan admit that truth.... that they’re not cool and that companies should not be catering to them.

Hats off to you. A very genuine and truthful thing to say.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Wardlow had video packages hyping his debut up on All Out and first Dynamite. Impact wrestling has over 3 million subscribers and more Twitter followers still then AEW has.

I'm not saying these people watched Cage feuds with RVD, Callahan, Eglin and Johnny Impact(Aka Morrison) on tv or ppv. But they likely saw photos or video of him or saw his name/picture on dirt sheets. Majority of fans who buy tickets for AEW show are gonna know who he is.
And the majority of people who they should be trying to convert into fans dont

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I’ve been posting about wrestling in the Internet for probably 15+ years. And I’ve never heard a self proclaimed hardcore fan admit that truth.... that they’re not cool and that companies should not be catering to them.

Hats off to you. A very genuine and truthful thing to say.
There's a reason we don't put "massive wrestling fan" on our Tinder profiles haha.

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
He announced he's having bicep surgery as was rumored. He's out awhile because of it - upwards of six months. Injuries are only going to continue to pile up now for Cage unfortunately given all the damage he's done to his body. HIs best bet to elongate his career would be to become a more grounded power wrestler, maybe form a permanent tag team with more of a technical flyer type that could do 2/3rds of the ring work each match for his team.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Strange because on Guevara last week Vlog, Cage does not seem to be hurt. In the video he can move is arm without any problem, he's not wearing any protection and he doesn't have any sign of injury on his arm.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Yeah guys. Let's not cater to the audience that got us to where we are in the first place! Let's cater to people who don't and never will give a fuck about wrestling in any capacity!

How Stupid...
That audience is shrinking all the time and very unlikely to grow. There are plenty of people who would care about wrestling if it were good.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
I think they can still keep the hardcore's while getting the audience that'd be into wrestling. It just wouldn't be smart to crap on any of their audience. They can't afford that right now.
Hardcore fans will watch wrestling regardless. Casuals aren't going to get into the same stuff that the hardcores think works.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
What was the first wrestling you watched and enjoyed?
I'm actually a 3rd generation fan, parents watched it before I was born so I grew up watching 80's wrestling, but didn't really become a actual fan myself until the second half of the 90's.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I'm actually a 3rd generation fan, parents watched it before I was born so I grew up watching 80's wrestling, but didn't really become a actual fan myself until the second half of the 90's.
Do you think it was the wrestling or the story lines that won you over?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Cage needs to cut out the cruiserweight moves if he joins aew and just be a powerhouse, there is enough guys on the roster that do flippy stuff but they lack powerhouses

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yeah guys. Let's not cater to the audience that got us to where we are in the first place! Let's cater to people who don't and never will give a fuck about wrestling in any capacity!

How Stupid...
Exactly.

You don’t need casuals and you damn sure shouldn’t cater to them. If you look at the major sports in America, so many of their problems among fans is their intent on catering to casuals.

241 - 260 of 265 Posts