Wrestling Forum banner

Building a company, HBK or Bret who do you take?

• Shawn Michaels

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Bret Hart

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching both of there matches tonight and it got me wondering and comparing both of them. I don't really want to turn this into a comparision thread exactly but this speaking from a standpoint in which they are both at there PEAKS. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, Two of the alltime greats and probally the top 2 guys in the company for the WWE for a span. Who is the overall better talent and not only that but who would you want as the number one guy of your company?

·
Asuka
96,211 Posts
Quite frankly, I wouldn't be too happy if my choice for a top guy was one of these two. Bret Hart has literally no charisma whatsoever, and I've never been impressed with Shawn Michaels on the mic, even though he does have charisma, not to mention, he was extremely unprofessional before he was born again, so neither of them are great choices. Although I think Shawn Michaels is more talented, if I were a promoter, I'd rather have Bret just because he'd be easier to deal with, and it wouldn't really matter since neither one of them drew a thing. I mean, I could deal with Hogan because he's Hogan, but with Shawn, it wouldn't be worth the fuss.

·
Asuka
96,211 Posts
Bret Hart didn't get a stroke in his prime, he got it from Goldberg in WCW after his career was long dead. Besides, you have to look at this from a promoters aspect in the early 90's, having no clue what would happen to either of them.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One gets a stroke and the breaks his back. I really wouldn't either of them just for those two reasons alone.
Let's not forget Shawn returned to WWE from breaking his back in 2002 and than from that point on had a run that can hold its own with any professional Wrestler in the history of Wrestling, In terms of overall match quality and feuds. Bret on the hand did have a stroke but this was only after he busted his ass in the Wrestling business for 20 years. The question was mostly referring to them at there PEAKS and not neccessarilly looking beyond that. It's simply comparing these two unbelieveable talents when they were at there best and deciding who was the greater talent, Nothing more.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bret Hart didn't get a stroke in his prime, he got it from Goldberg in WCW after his career was long dead. Besides, you have to look at this from a promoters aspect in the early 90's, having no clue what would happen to either of them.
Yes, Exactly. What happened to them in terms of injuries in the careers should have absolutely no impact on your opinion towards this question.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Even though I'm a big HBK fan, I'd take Bret. HBK was such a dick back then and would be hell to work with.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I can see why a lot of people are bringing up Shawn's attitude. Not a trait you want when trying to build a company but let's try to take away anything personal between the two and just think from an overall talent and performance standpoint.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I have found a lot of people to believe that Shawn Michaels prime was his first run in between 1991 and 1998 which character wise is definitely true but as far as in ring work goes i would take the second run in between mid 2002 and WrestleMania 26 every day. I am probably the biggest Shawn Michaels mark on these forums and consider him to be the best all round in ring performer ever but when you compare his first and second run in WWE he had so many great matches upon his return.

On his first run Shawn Michaels struggled prior to his first Ladder match with Scott Hall at WrestleMania 10 to have regular classic matches although that wasn't really his fault as the talent wasn't there to work with but when he did have people to work with as he did in Bret Hart, Curt Hennig and The British Bulldog he did great. From WrestleMania 10 onwards we may have seen Shawn Michaels win Match Of The Year every year but outside of his Ladder rematch with Scott Hall, the Iron Man match with Bret Hart, against Mick Foley at Mind Games and the trio of matches with The Undertaker including Hell in a Cell how many matches would be considered all time classics.

Looking on the second run i could name the first match back against Triple H at SummerSlam in 2002, the first ever Elimination Chamber, Chris Jericho at WrestleMania 19, the two Triple Threat matches with Chris Benoit and Triple H, the three matches with Kurt Angle in 2005, some how against Vince McMahon at WrestleMania 22, the two matches with John Cena in 2007, he was on fire in 2008 with matches against Ric Flair, Batista and Chris Jericho all be classics and then there was the two WrestleMania matches with The Undertaker so from that i would argue with anyone that Shawn Michaels peak was his second run.

As far as who i would rather have on the roster if i could only have one of either Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart i would clearly choose Shawn Michaels and not because i am a mark for him but simply because the best attribute that Bret Hart had was his in ring work which in my opinion was as good as Shawn Michaels, Shawn Michaels was always able to change his matches around whereas Bret Hart didn't ever really do that. As far as mic work and ability to draw a reaction from the crowd Shawn Michaels was also ahead of Bret Hart and if only one could be chosen then surely the better all round in ring performer would be the one that was wanted so for me Shawn Michaels would be the one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts