Wrestling Forum banner
181 - 200 of 213 Posts

· Registered
20,997 Posts
Summation: No.

· Registered
337 Posts
I know this post is from awhile ago, but exactly dude!!! Bret may not be in the top 5 of most recognized, but he's definitely in the top 10-15 most well known wrestlers. He was popular af in the 80s in the Hart Foundation, had incredible matches and moments as intercontinental champ, Carried the WWF after Hogan, The Steroid Trial, Ringboy Scandal, and other stars leaving or retiring from the boom period. 97 was the start of the attitude era, and Brets momentum kept going up and up until Montreal. It wasn't till wcw that he became an afterthought and even than he started getting his momentum back in 99 until his injury, and he's had legend status since the 2000s. Fact is Brets the man, HBK was a great Sports Entertainer, but he wasn't a big draw as champion, and is arguably worse politically compared to Hogan. Hbk is what everyone said about HHH, he's the guy that works with The Guy, drawing the house.
Top 10-15? Wow. So insulting to John Cena, Steve Austin, The Rock, Andre the giant, Hogan, Bruno Sammartino, Macho Man, Ric Flair, Ultimate Warrior, Piper.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I always loved these arguments for Bret's drawing ability that ignore actual business numbers and just go for shit like, "Hey, my uncle who doesn't even like wrestling knows who Bret is" or "I distinctly remember him having the loudest ovation at this match I went to back in 1993". It's always good to use memories of what all the kids you hung out with in school thought as a respectable source.

· Registered
6,703 Posts
4th biggest is John Cena, anyone saying different is delusional.
what is with some people on here and John Cena ... even in his best year, 40-50% of the live audiences hated him. He was the least popular face of the company they've ever had. I was around these forums when Cena was on top (i.e when it actually happened), and if anyone had said Cena was the 4th biggest star, that person would have been laughed at

· Registered
2,799 Posts
I'd probably put John Cena, Sting, The Undertaker, Ric Flair, and Honestly I'd put Brock Lesnar above him. In terms of at their peak, Goldberg was also a bigger star than him. I love his matches, but if we are talking star power, that is a different conversation and he would barely crack the top 10 for me personally.

· Registered
2,970 Posts
what is with some people on here and John Cena ... even in his best year, 40-50% of the live audiences hated him. He was the least popular face of the company they've ever had. I was around these forums when Cena was on top (i.e when it actually happened), and if anyone had said Cena was the 4th biggest star, that person would have been laughed at
How the audience reacts to pushes have changed over time. Fans just aren't as passive as they use to be and even a Hulk Hogan would get booed relentlessly nowadays too.

Despite the crowd split Cena was still a superior star with mainstream recognition who sold merch at rates only beneath Austin, expanded WWE's presence in the corporate world, and led WWE to some very profitable years. There's a reason he made the jump to the next level while the guys who claim Vince is a millionaire who would be a billionaire if they listened to them all had to go back to minor league wrestling. Cena was a legit star. Crowd support doesn't mean as much nowadays as it's just fans overvaluing their own opinions.

· Registered
15,738 Posts
You never attended a houseshow during Cenas run on top if you think 40-50% hated him lol

· The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
7,676 Posts
Bret Hart is my favorite wrestler ever, but I'm under no illusions. He's probably in the top 10, towards the bottom. Hogan, Austin, Rock, Flair, Undertaker, Andre, and Cena are all comfortably above him.

181 - 200 of 213 Posts