Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone's view from those who watched the Bret Hart Broken Skull Sessions. Personally and also coming from a bret hart fan, I thought this episode was lacklustre and dragged at times. I felt nothing new was revealed other than Bret saying he viewed his own matches (while actually wrestling them) through the lens of a wrestling fan which I felt was an interesting perspective. Other than that, too much time was spent on the wrestlemania 13 match and rarely any backstage secrets, revelations were revealed. I think the Undertaker episode was much better (much to the fact of seeing the undertaker out of character), however was expecting much more from this bret episode.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
What struck me is what a miserable prick Bret Hart is. It starts with Austin being warm and friendly, asking him about his holiday to Hawaii... "yeah, it was terrible. Rained the whole time." I watched hoping Bret would be less of a misery guts, since it's well known that Hart and Austin respect each other. Nope. He's still as bitter about Montreal as ever, the only time he expresses any kind of human joy is when he gives a play-by-play of how he KOed Vince in the locker room. Even in talking about the classic WM13 match with Stone Cold, he's all doom and gloom, "oh, I was terrified the match would suck."

Imagine being Bret Hart's friend? Actually, I have a friend with a similar temperament. I can only handle him in small doses too. He only sees the negative side of everything. The type to win a million dollars in the lottery and complain that it wasn't more money.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I thought it was horrible, I wish they talked more about him growing up in the stampede wrestling days, his and Owen's feud, and then eventually talk about the screwjob and his horrible wcw run.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lol. I agree with the whole "doom and gloom" demeanor of Bret. I also think his egos a bit inflated. I knew about the Starcade incident and how Goldberg ended his career. Hard to hear him say that he was one of the most "unprofessional wrestlers in the business" seeing as hes one of WWEs champions today. In a past interview he didnt put the blame on Goldberg but blamed WCWs trainees instead. I do hope that Goldberg has gotten better with not injuring people but it sucks that he hurt too many people and got a major push anyway. If Bret never injured anyone good for him wouldnt be surprised if hes denying it though. I suppose hes just bitter and I dont blame him. He knocked out Vince cold and spat in his face.. like Vince should've never screwed him but Bret shouldnt have taken it that far.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If any of these guest could be more cringe than the Goldberg one, I could see it being Bret. I'll watch it eventually. I'm not sure how to find the rest of the episodes though. I've only been able to watch the Undertaker and Goldberg ones.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
If any of these guest could be more cringe than the Goldberg one, I could see it being Bret. I'll watch it eventually. I'm not sure how to find the rest of the episodes though. I've only been able to watch the Undertaker and Goldberg ones.
Originals section on the WWE Network. The others are well worth a watch- Kane goes into detail about the development and origins of his character, as well as his work before he became Kane. And Big Show is surprisingly honest about the ups and downs of his career. Quite the opposite of this Bret Hart one, actually- not to say Bret's being dishonest, but the world's biggest Bret Hart mark is quite clearly Bret Hart. Big Show, on the other hand, is quite humble, acknowledging his faults and the people in the business that helped him overcome them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I really think they missed an opportunity with this. The first half was Montreal as though we haven't heard every side of that already. We don't need to go over it again and again.

I liked the fact they talked in depth about the Mania match but they could actually have bought out the match with a commentary instead of clogging up over half with that.

What they should have covered...

His early years in Calgary
His relationships with various wrestlers - Taker, Hogan, Yokozuna, Diesel, Savage, Flair etc
His favourite matches and the reasons why (not his!)
Comments on big matches that he had with some insider info - thinking behind sequences or finishes etc

Instead we got a half assed presentation that told us nothing new. So different to the Undertaker one. Bret is his usual modest self here too.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I’ve always been a huge Hart fan. He’s still one of my favorite workers all time, but I pretty much agree with everyone else.

It really doesn’t cover anything new. He’s not a good interview and does come across as pretty miserable and definitely a mark for himself. He talked for about 5 minutes on how he hit Vince with an uppercut and not an overhand punch. Lol, really? It’s not worth watching.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Lol. I agree with the whole "doom and gloom" demeanor of Bret. I also think his egos a bit inflated. I knew about the Starcade incident and how Goldberg ended his career. Hard to hear him say that he was one of the most "unprofessional wrestlers in the business" seeing as hes one of WWEs champions today. In a past interview he didnt put the blame on Goldberg but blamed WCWs trainees instead. I do hope that Goldberg has gotten better with not injuring people but it sucks that he hurt too many people and got a major push anyway. If Bret never injured anyone good for him wouldnt be surprised if hes denying it though. I suppose hes just bitter and I dont blame him. He knocked out Vince cold and spat in his face.. like Vince should've never screwed him but Bret shouldnt have taken it that far.
Wait, he said that?!

If so, why is he still harping on Goldberg? Its already known WCW was poorly run to begin with. Just add being poor pro wrestling trainers to the list.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wait, he said that?!

If so, why is he still harping on Goldberg? Its already known WCW was poorly run to begin with. Just add being poor pro wrestling trainers to the list.
He sure did. I know Goldberg has apologized numerous times and regrets that deeply. I would to if I ended that mans career. I know hes had a few matches in WWE but I dont think hes ever been in the best shape for a full match that I'm aware of. And that's a shame. Just recently found out that Bret actually won the US title. Lol.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Not a bad interview but the content was just misguided. Montreal has been done to death. Why not just do a timeline starting in the Hart house, early WWF days, Hart foundation, Mr Perfect etc etc, transitioning in to champ etc.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I love Bret Hart. Now that we're in an era where no one takes anything seriously and everyone is just happy to be here, I like Bret even more for taking himself and the business as seriously as he did.
Oddly that's what I feel too now. You just had to be there to appreciate it this viewpoint. HOWEVER, Bret does seem all gloom and doom.

I would have loved to see these two talk about Hogan lol and how he affected their place in history at different points in history.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
i like bret but i couldn't get through this one he just has zero personality and such a bore to listen too

1 - 20 of 25 Posts