Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This month's Fighting Spirit Magazine has an article written by Bret Hart. In it he discusses the Sheamus / Daniel Bryan match from Wrestlemania and says, "Anyone who was a real wrestling fan was looking forward to seeing him (Bryan) wrestle. To beat him in 18 seconds ... I think only an imbecile could come up with something like that. Someone who doesn't know anything about actual wrestling came up with that one, and I wish I could have been in the room when they were discussing it!" He goes on to describe it as a "poorly thought out idea" that"disappointed" a lot of fans.

He obviously has a point. Thoughts?

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
Bret Hart is spot on here. But I would add that the 18 second match at WM may be the best thing that ever happened to Bryan personally though as it got him the most over he has ever been in the WWE, and Bryan's really capitalized on it.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,306 Posts
Well, obviously. Sheamus is a fine worker and Daniel Bryan is Daniel Bryan. You can see what they should have done in their 2 out of 3 falls rematch, which was a very nice match.

The crowd was hot for both of the wrestlers and clearly wanted to see them wrestle and then they got...

That.

It pissed 'em off and ruined the first hour. If they didn't have Undertaker and Trips ready to yank out a cool story with their End of An Era match the crowd for the entire PPV might have been lost.

They had so much dumb filler crap they could have cut to give that match 12+ minutes and have it be a rockstar of an opener.

·
Wrestling Forum's Ace Attorney
4,126 Posts
Bret Hart is spot on here. But I would add that the 18 second match at WM may be the best thing that ever happened to Bryan personally though as it got him the most over he has ever been in the WWE, and Bryan's really capitalized on it.
True, the 18 second loss would normally be an execution of any other wrestler. However, it was a blessing in disguise for Bryan. Rather than the fans cheer for Sheamus for dominating the heel so easily, Bryan won the crowd over as they respected him for the great wrestler he is. They were outraged they didn't get a great Bryan match and were very vocal about it. This made the already over "YES!" chant a phenomenon and pushed Bryan into an insanely over wrestler. Also have to agree with Bret that whoever thought of Bryan losing in 18 seconds being a good idea is a complete imbecile who doesn't know a thing about actual wrestling.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
see, here's the thing, it was 18 seconds...but its the match we are STILL talking about! yes taker vs hhh was awesome. punk-jericho was great...but we are STILL talking about sheamus vs bryan. maybe this was their way of stealing the show? they knew people would be PISSED? interesting to think about

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Whilst I agree with him and it was a stupid choice and disrespectful to them both especially Bryan.
Ultimately it has now created one a massive wrestlemania moment especially for Sheamus and also helped put over Bryan, Bryan will get his reward in the future im sure.

Im not a big fan of Sheamus but I was gutted and really looking forward to this match.

Thats when I realised Sheamus has now become Superman mark II

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well shit, what would you rather see at WM, some boring old WRESTLING match or a skinny, heroin-addled white boy attempting to rap/sing while making awkward wanking motions with his right arm?

PRIORITIES.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
Well, imagin if they indeed had an nice 15 minute match with sheamus winning clean. do you guys think bryan would have gotten as over has he got after the loss?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts