Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
That feud certainly propelled him, but I would also point out that the KOTR tournament also helped him.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Of course he did ... could he have reached those heights without Bret ... maybe, but we will never know. It wasn’t solely Bret, but he had a large contribution, along with the 3:16 speech

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
No.

The storyline, and Austin's character did.

Austin made himself when he did the 3:16 interview.

The anti hero thing was going to happen, Austin took the reigns and ran with it.

Hart was just the guy who facilitated.
This. Took the words right off my mouth.

Bret's my favorite wrestler, but Austin made himself with that Austin 3:16 promo when he won the KOR. Of course Bret facilitated like this poster said. There was absolutely nothing aside from career ending injury or death that could have stopped Austin's meteoric rise to the top.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Austin might be self made at king of the ring, where Austin 3:16 started getting popular. But I think its ignorant not to aknowledge how much the Bret feud and the mania 13 match did for him.

The mania 13 match is arguably more talked about than any of his matches except mania x7, and the image of Austin passing out in his own blood is one of the most iconic images and wrestlemania momens of all time.
In a way it was Austins "slamming Andre the giant" moment.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
No.

The storyline, and Austin's character did.

Austin made himself when he did the 3:16 interview.

The anti hero thing was going to happen, Austin took the reigns and ran with it.

Hart was just the guy who facilitated.
Austin made himself during his Hollywood Blondes stint in WCW, he then accelerated his character further in ECW.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Yeah because Bret must have taught Austin how to cut amazing promos and how to play an amazing character. Also I'm sure Bret taught Austin everything he knew in the ring. Austin was already on the rise and was a freight train that wasn't going to be stopped. That's like saying Charlotte made Becky Lynch. Just because you put somebody over in a match doesn't mean you made them. Usually it means they have already earned their spot ahead of you and, to Bret's credit, you do the job because you realize this. If anything, Vince deserves the most credit in terms of enhancing Austin's success. He was the greatest possible heel Austin could have had.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts