Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
He's treated fairly. The guy is a bitter hack who does nothing but self righteously prop himself up while reliving every rivalry he had.

But just in terms of wrestler legacy he's treated as the best of the new gen which he was but being the best in the new gen really only puts you like 45th all time as the era he ran sucked ass.
In what sense is Bret a hack?

·
Butter My Arse
11,965 Posts
Without Bret, it’s highly unlikely that Steve Austin, and by extension the WWE, would be where it is today. Yes I can hear the simpletons at the back yelling ‘no it was Vince stoopid’, but Bret laid the groundwork for Austin’s ascent over a near twelve month period. Also if it wasn’t for his expertise in guiding Davey Boy through the IC match at Summerslam 1992, it would’ve been a disaster.

Truly one of the greatest of all time.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
He gets a fuck ton of credit and he's also bitter. That's his right, it's also people's right to view him as such.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bret’s catchphrase is still true to this day. Nobody has surpassed him, yet.

I‘ve never seen a more realistic wrestler - and he was able to do it as a widely beloved FOTC... nobody comes close to his level of psychology and realism today.
Amen!

People have talked about realism for so long in wrestling and there have only ever been a few that made you think it was a fight or a grappling contest: Angle, Lesnar, Benoit....but Hart stands above them.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
5,420 Posts
Bret had no serious chance to let his career fade out in a good way, because of his (delayed realised) injury and the stroke. I guess that makes it easier for haters critics online. He is just a legend for all the stuff he did before leaving WWF in the last century.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Bret is obviously a very smart guy.

I honestly like that kind of people: bookish and intelligent, but he also seems to be so terribly self-centered (correlation?)

Remember Hogan "screw-job" in AWA? He put fans over and not himself in the speech after incident.

Okay, Dr Seuss, let's go.

he's a proven draw. In terms of accuracy and truth, Bret spoke the truth
Terrible draw. Excellence of Excuses.

Bret already gets way too much credit.
True. Especially that "No Bret, no Austin" narrative.

Without Bret, it’s highly unlikely that Steve Austin, and by extension the WWE, would be where it is today.
I would agree by saying that Bret helped to usher AE by... leaving company.

I honestly do not see anything special about him. And i really tried.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Its fine. Did you watch the Summerslam in Wembley? That doesn't prove to you that Bret is a draw?
I watched.

SS 92's attendance is impressive. But you have to also give some credit to Bulldog - "local hero".

Besides it was first big WWF's PPV out there, so it's not fair to say that one unique event proves anything; that's why records from regular PPVs in US are more accurate.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
For anyone who hasn't seen the Bret Hart's biography, which aired this week, go and watch it.

Worth every second of your day.

All of the people calling him names in this thread are an embarrassment for the industry and for this forum.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
For anyone who hasn't seen the Bret Hart's biography, which aired this week, go and watch it.

All of the people calling him names in this thread are an embarrassment for the industry and for this forum.
To be fair...that biography is the most optimistic and least bitter Bret Hart interview I've probably ever seen. He didn't spend the whole time running other people down while propping himself up like so many shoots and his book. I really hope that is how he is in real life today going forward. As a fan of the guy, you just want to see him let stuff go once and for all

·
Registered
370 Posts
To be fair...that biography is the most optimistic and least bitter Bret Hart interview I've probably ever seen. He didn't spend the whole time running other people down while propping himself up like so many shoots and his book. I really hope that is how he is in real life today going forward. As a fan of the guy, you just want to see him let stuff go once and for all
I think he has actually turned a corner here. He's said recently he's laid off the shoot interviews because it was causing heat with him and old compatriots like Flair and he said he didn't want any heat with the few old guys left from his days in the business.

·
Registered
370 Posts

They've all been excellent. Bret gets a proper happy ending.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Who was really drawing in the mid 90s-early 2000s besides Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Hogan, and Nash? Bret played a huge role in getting both Austin and the Mr. McMahon character over. Austin was doing nothing until his feud with Bret in late 96-97, and the heat Bret had with Shawn and Vince and the Montreal Screwjob made McMahon arguably the biggest heel in the history of the business. Bret was also red hot heading into WCW, not his fault that they fucked that up. Bret literally set the table for the Attitude Era.
Wasn’t Nash the lowest drawing champion?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not really. If anything he gets too much credit.

HBK improved business when he left in 96 and when he left in late 97

21 - 40 of 42 Posts