·
Premium Member
9,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family sues after 26-year-old EMT is shot and killed by police in her own home

Family sues after 26-year-old EMT is shot and killed by police in her own home

By Christopher Brito

May 15, 2020 / 7:40 AM / CBS News

Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old EMT, was asleep in her Kentucky home just after midnight on March 13 when police entered with a search warrant in a drug investigation and opened fire, killing her. Now, a lawsuit filed by Taylor's family accuses the officers of wrongful death, excessive force and gross negligence.

Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) officials said officers engaged in the shooting after Taylor's boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, shot at them first. But the lawsuit alleges that police did not identify themselves and that Walker, a licensed gun owner, thought someone was breaking in. Neither Walker nor Taylor had a criminal history of drugs or violence, the suit says.

Taylor had been working as an EMT at emergency rooms at two hospitals, helping with the coronavirus response, her family said. "Breonna loves life and she loved to help people and she loved her family. She didn't deserve what they did to her," Tamika Palmer, her mother, told CBS News correspondent Jericka Duncan.

"I was more concerned for her washing her hands than her dying at home," Palmer added.

The lawsuit, obtained by CBS News, says LMPD officers Myles Cosgrove and Brett Hankinson and Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, who are named as defendants, arrived at the home in plainclothes and unmarked vehicles.

According to the lawsuit, they had a "knock and announce" search warrant for Taylor's apartment, and were looking for a man who lived in a different part of Louisville who had already been apprehended by LMPD the previous day.

The search warrant, obtained by CBS News, named two men: Adrian Orlandes Walker and Jamarcus Cordell Glover, and said they had been observed transporting packages suspected to be drugs from the address. The search warrant does not name Kenneth Walker.

The family's lawsuit alleges, "The officers then entered Breonna's home without knocking and without announcing themselves as police officers. The Defendants then proceeded to spray gunfire into the residence with a total disregard for the value of human life." Breonna Taylor was struck eight times.

The lawsuit states Walker and Taylor "believed the home had been broken into by criminals and that they were in significant, imminent danger."

Police, on the other hand, say the officers knocked on the door and announced themselves, and that when the officers forced entry they were "immediately met by gunfire."

Mattingly was shot in the leg, police said. Walker has been charged with first degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer.

Mattingly, Cosgrove and Hankison have been placed on administrative reassignment during an internal investigation. "The Public Integrity investigation into this case remains ongoing, therefore it would be inappropriate for us to comment beyond what we already have said immediately following the incident," the LMPD said Monday in a statement to CBS affiliate WLKY.
louisville-police.jpg

The lawsuit brings up Cosgrove's and Hankinson's history of use of force as officers. Cosgrove, the lawsuit claims, shot a Louisville resident seven times in a different case, and Hankinson allegedly had "dozens of situations where he has sent citizens to the hospital for injuries from being tased, pepper sprayed and struck repeatedly in the nose and eyes."

The family's attorney, Ben Crump — who also represents the family of Ahmaud Arbery — told "CBS This Morning" that Walker and Taylor "thought they were being burglarized."

"Does the Second Amendment not apply to African Americans?" Crump said. "This was a completely unnecessary and unjustifiable killing of an innocent woman."

Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said in a statement that he is awaiting the outcome of the LMPD investigation into the case. "As always my priority is that the truth comes out, and for justice to follow the path of truth," Fischer said.

Governor Andy Beshear said in a statement posted on Twitter Wednesday that reports about Taylor's death are "troubling." "Her family and the public at large deserve the full facts of her death," he said, and called for state legal officials to review the findings of the police investigation "to ensure justice is done."
Cops show up to wrong house to arrest guy that was already in jail. They bust in with no knock warrant in plain clothes. Boyfriend opens fire since he thinks it's a break in. Cops spray and pray and kill her in bed. Boyfriend charged with attempted murder.

Just another day like any other. Fuck everybody involved.

·
Mamba Mentality
25,734 Posts
Breonna Taylor's family and Kenneth Walker should receive a large civil suit award for this murder via police terrorism. There absolutely should not be any charges brought on Kenneth Walker. You can't storm unannounced into anybody's home at any time especially in the middle of the night and not expect them to protect their home. Self defense. The 2nd Amendment is in order for Black Americans too. Shocking right?

Every officer that fired a shot here should be convicted of murder and attempted murder, manslaughter at the least.

When will it end? I'm sick of seeing this shit. RIP Breonna Taylor.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
No-knock warrant in plain clothes is such a dumb policy. Especially with everyone having the right to shoot at each other for some reason.

Not sure how America can solve their policing issue. Good guys don't stay long on the force due to bad working conditions or job reputation, so they gave unions more power to protect cops to entice more good guys to join/remain in the force. But the same policy protects the bad guys even more, further soiling the profession's reputation. And because less good guys want to join, they have to recruit even more bad guys to make up the numbers.It is like a downward spiral with no end in sight.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
cops should never be in plain cloths, so many stories of people killed by or put in critical because they simply didn't know that a group of men in all black with guns start coming at them. heck this has happened at least a dozen times in ohio the last 5 yrs. cops just charge people and people run or fight back and cops are like us with nothing on us saying we are cops , area actually cops. it's so stupid, they fact they got a warrent for a man already in jail for a house he had never been in pisses me off even more

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I see this as another victim in the war on drugs. Legalize, tax and regulate all drugs, then the cops can't use it as an excuse anymore when they want to break into someone's home and murder an innocent woman in her sleep.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
these cops need to be put in jail for murder, they lied that led to a death, they dont deserve to enjoy freedom

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,735 Posts
What's the difference between plain clothes cops serving no-knock warrants and mercenary death squads? Why are no-knock warrants even legal when they do often lead to violence against innocents? I remember reading about a SWAT team serving a no-knock warrant and they threw a flashbang blindly into a room and it landed in a baby's crib, badly disfiguring it.

Why is our court system based around the notion that it's better for a guilty person to go free than for an innocent person to go to jail, but our policing system is based on the notion that it's better for innocent people to die than for cops to have to chase an unconvicted suspect?

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

See this is why people (Black people) don't trust the police and the "justice" system. Dishonest narratives, no accountability for mistakes, no preservation of human life or civil rights for the expendables.

Fuck da police. I grew up listening to the same shit you did.

Honest question: why does race have to be a factor?

Let's look at your entire statement minus the dividing factor.

See this is why people don't trust the police and the "justice" system. Dishonest narratives, no accountability for mistakes, no preservation of human life or civil rights for the expendables.

I agree with this statement 100%.

Then add in the racial qualifier...

See this is why people (Black people) don't trust the police and the "justice" system. Dishonest narratives, no accountability for mistakes, no preservation of human life or civil rights for the expendables.

Do you see how it changes the narrative?

I can only tell you what I see. What I see is a narrative of division. What I see is a dividing of the people. What I see is a racist "criminal justice system" in dire need of reform. What I see is people of a darker skin color of mine dividing themselves apart from me based on skin color, when I want to fight alongside them against the fucked up shit that cops do.

Where I see a natural ally, you see a white man. Where you see someone different from yourself, I see a fellow human being subjugated by a fucked up society.

So please, please, tell me how I am wrong about this. Maybe we could resurrect TDL cause I would happily oppose you on this topic.

·
Mamba Mentality
25,734 Posts
^
I say Black people because that’s who these kinds of killings and injustices happen to perpetually. I’m talking about people who look like me being killed just for living Black in America. Now ain’t the time for me to be “All Lives Matter” for white people. White people or “allies” should eradicate systemic racism. I will continue to educate and feed Black people living with this system.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,740 Posts
Tater, you don't get it and you probably never will. No matter how much time has passed, we (Myself, Clique, Headliner, JeriGOAT, ObsoleteMule, Legit Boss, etc.) will always be looked at as "other" no matter what we do. This shit is on repeat for us. We could play hot potato with victim names and none of us would be out for 10 minutes straight.

Trayvon, Attatiana, Botham, Rodney, MLK, Brown, Arbery, Breonna Taylor, etc.

Even if I we couldn't name names, (because it happens way too often), we could still describe the situation in grim detail.

"That's one big BAD dude"
"I can't breathe"
"He fit the description"
The girl on her bike who got hit by a car and the cops show up and throw HER on the ground arrest her then mace her repeatedly. Did I mention she just got hit by a car? What about that she was 14/15 years old?

There's a very apparent double standard that has existed in this country since 1619! You ask the victims and those who look like them why they put themselves in the mention, it's simply because our victimizers do it first. They see us, they hurt us, we cry foul, then people like you ask us why we point out injustices.

Black people say, "help black people!" because everyone else seems to get theirs except for us.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me when people actually come with that “all lives matter”/ “let’s take race out of it” people. Like how clueless can people be? Do some you really think black people and other disadvantaged groups enjoy having to deal with this shit? As if certain prejudices don’t exist and we’re just making up for shits and giggles?

Its so weird... never in a million years would I hear someone from another group come to me with a problem and then try to minimize it as if I have a clue about what they go through.

Reminds me of how dudes on here were downplaying how often women face sexual assault and rape as if women are collectively making up traumatic rape stories for fun.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Devil's advocate here, but the rise in black people can't be racist mentality isn't helping the cause. Everybody form some sort of prejudice, even minorities, and the push for ending systemic racism is a fool's errand to having a never ending cause to distract from providing pragmatic resolutions. Better to have tolerance than pushing for 'justice' to get yours because they got theirs before. Better to push for ending no knock warrants in plains clothes with regards to this case. It could have been any race that suffered from this dumb policy. Making it a black issue only serves to divide.

·
From parts unknown
23,041 Posts
Black people say, "help black people!" because everyone else seems to get theirs except for us.
This is absolutely true. I've heard hundreds of stories of white people breaking the law, doing drugs, dealing drugs, talking to cops while drugged, drunk, driving drunk, doing whatever the fuck they want and getting away with just warnings and even making friends. Two white people I know closely are dealers, or know dealers, use crack and one of them sells drugs. She was also caught with cocaine in her car. She has outstanding warrants in different states. She has been pulled over for DUI and have had coke on her. No jail. Judge gave her rehab instead.

Black people very rarely get this kind of benefit of the doubt. Very rarely. White people will tell you that "just be nice to the cop" because that's what gets THEM out of trouble because enforcement for white people is a completely different standard and their privilege exists while they're ignorant of it. It's a completely different experience for blacks, and therefore the ignorant whites who don't want to empathise tend to think that blacks are just being assholes to cops.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
This is absolutely true. I've heard hundreds of stories of white people breaking the law, doing drugs, dealing drugs, talking to cops while drugged, drunk, driving drunk, doing whatever the fuck they want and getting away with just warnings and even making friends. Two white people I know closely are dealers, or know dealers, use crack and one of them sells drugs. She was also caught with cocaine in her car. She has outstanding warrants in different states. She has been pulled over for DUI and have had coke on her. No jail. Judge gave her rehab instead.

Black people very rarely get this kind of benefit of the doubt. Very rarely. White people will tell you that "just be nice to the cop" because that's what gets THEM out of trouble because enforcement for white people is a completely different standard and their privilege exists while they're ignorant of it. It's a completely different experience for blacks, and therefore the ignorant whites who don't want to empathise tend to think that blacks are just being assholes to cops.
i was in a courtroom for a journalism class in 07 and a black dude got 6 yrs for having some weed and the very next person was a white crack dealer who a huge rap sheet and he fucking got probation...i spent 3 weeks looking at shit like that. i think of all the times im out for a jog and get stopped, i was grabbed walking home from school by a cop that accused me of stealing from a place ive never been, i;ve been called ****** by 40 different cops in my life....never commited a crime i earned my way into purdue, fucknig taking calculus and physics in high school, not a single person in my family has been poor since the 1890s, hell i have rich relatives. drs, lawyers, a few athletes. and i still get treated like shit from white people everywhere i go...the only white people who treat me 100% are those who are immigrants from eastern europe....they've seen some shit and at least understand what i go through. then i see all these people comparing wearing masks to black people....like i was born in 81, ive seen the kkk burning crosses, i saw the push building bombed by police, i had a friend get out of jail last yr after 30 yrs for a crime he wasnt even in the city cause he was playing baseball with me, cause a cop said he saw him and instead it was a white guy 20 yrs older than him. im just so fucking mad and hurt right now

1 - 20 of 41 Posts