Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about making this thread in rants because it's more of a rant than anything but whatever. Move it if you want to degrade the discussion if it's more fitting.​

I want to understand. I want to know why companies, organisations, people - men, women and even kids are more knowledgeable about breast cancer over other cancers - and why companies and organisations are, in comparison to other cancers, always on the breast cancer 'bandwagon', if you will.

Now, everyone knows cancer is, well, cancerous. It's one of the absolute worst things that can happen to any single person, and their friends, family, colleagues, and even sometimes people they don't even know. Cancer of all kinds eventually will affect at least 99% of the people in this world one way or another.

So anyway, the point of this is, why is breast cancer awareness so high in comparison to other cancers? The only single cancer I can think of that is just as well known as breast cancer is lung cancer - but people don't really care about it as much because it happens more often to people who cause it to themselves, whereas breast cancer just... happens.

I have always thought the bias towards breast cancer and how much awareness is has gained as opposed to other cancers is ridiculously unfair, but recently a few things have irritated me more about it.

The first thing was hearing of a story about a man who, I believe in October of 2011, felt a lump on his chest and wanted to get it checked out, as apparently, because October is "Breast Cancer Awareness Month", doctors are legally obliged to give out 'free checks' for breast cancer.
Though, supposedly, men are not covered by this law and this man was denied the 'free checks' multiple times.
I don't think this is the same story (the picture I originally saw was a white guy iirc) but it sure is similar.

Both interestingly and sadly, there has been a petition here for a while which apparently needs 30,000 petition signatures to be looked at.

The second thing was seeing this when I was out today:

I wanted to take a quick picture because people were watching :side:

I don't want to even start implying that an equal number of men suffer from breast cancer - as apparently the reported cases in the US alone are over 98% women - leaving roughly 1% as men.
It is a very minimal amount but it's still pretty pathetic that companies, organisations, and even the governments of many states/countries ignore the fact that men also get breast cancer.

Furthermore, November is a month dedicated to male health. This includes prostate cancer. This is advertised by Movember but I bet if you were to ask a lot of people what Movember is for, they won't even know it's for raising awarenesses of male health issues.

It seems a little sad that prostate cancer itself is lumped in with things like depression.
Things that need their own, separate funding.

A small amount of research comparing the two cancers - breast cancer (which is often considered a female-only cancer, but contrary to popular belief, is not) and prostate cancer (completely male only) came up with some interesting statistics:

In the UK, in 2010:

Note: BOWEL CANCER IS MORE DEADLY THAN BOTH AND HAS A LACK OF AWARENESS TOO.

Though, even with the mass amounts of awareness and information breast cancer gets, it still ROUGHLYhas the same mortality rate that prostate cancer does.

Breast Cancer Mortality Statistics, U.S National Institutes of Health
INCIDENCE RATES BY RACE

All Races 123.8 per 100,000 women
White 127.4 per 100,000 women
Black 121.4 per 100,000 women
Asian/Pacific Islander 91.8 per 100,000 women
American Indian/Alaska Native a 77.1 per 100,000 women
Hispanic b 90.8 per 100,000 women

DEATH RATES BY RACE

All Races 22.6 per 100,000 women
White 22.1 per 100,000 women
Black 30.8 per 100,000 women
Asian/Pacific Islander 11.5 per 100,000 women
American Indian/Alaska Native a 15.5 per 100,000 women
Hispanic b 14.8 per 100,000 women

Note: Only women are listed. WEIRD HEY?

Prostate Cancer Mortality Statistics, U.S National Institutes of Health
INCIDENCE RATES BY RACE

All Races 152.0 per 100,000 men
White 144.9 per 100,000 men
Black 228.5 per 100,000 men
Asian/Pacific Islander 81.8 per 100,000 men
American Indian/Alaska Native a 77.8 per 100,000 men
Hispanic b 125.8 per 100,000 men

DEATH RATES BY RACE

All Races 23.0 per 100,000 men
White 21.2 per 100,000 men
Black 50.9 per 100,000 men
Asian/Pacific Islander 10.1 per 100,000 men
American Indian/Alaska Native a 20.7 per 100,000 men
Hispanic b 19.2 per 100,000 men

Anyway, the point of this thread is to try to open peoples' eyes about breast cancers awareness and the comparative lack of other cancer awareness.

Remember, men get breast cancer too, though a minimal amount. Both prostate and (especially) bowel cancer need their own recognition and a lot more charity funding than they get right now, as they are roughly equally, and more deadly, than breast cancer, respectively. (November's Movember campaign seems to get way less charitable funding than October's Breast Cancer Awareness Month - and considering that the charity gained by Movember is also used to fund other health issues it's not surprising.

I'm not trying to urge people into not donating to breast cancer research, but prostate/bowel cancer research. That's plain wrong. I'm just showing the lack of awareness and hoping to educate a bit.

Thanks for reading?

·
Registered
826 Posts
people are more sympathetic toward women, its so marketable theyd be stupid not to have this much attention for it from a business perspective. youre right in more should be done about other cancer awareness (getting checked for a prostate exam just seems like it would be harder to do for a guy than checking for lumps for a women), but what you gonna do? its crap but i doubt itll stop happening

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heaps of people are aware of what Movember is for :kobe
That's not even the whole point and I remember you tried refuting this when I said it way ages ago.

Fact is there's a fairly sizeable amount that don't, or aren't actually entirely sure.

Plus like I said it's not just for cancer lol

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
Movember is a big thing that people are aware of in Australia. I'm not sure if it's world wide, but there's been heaps of money for it raised in the past just in my local area. Everyone knows what it's about here locally, or at least it seems that way.

I think this is probably a positive public discussion to have. Granted, the tone of it would probably would have to change because it feels like it's a debate that should be more about why all cancers aren't given equal attention, not just "Oi, why does breast cancer get all this attention?". But it's an issue nonetheless, even if you're probably not going to get the answers you seek on a wrestling forum.

Not the point of the discussion, but I like the free screenings initiative.

·
Banned
19,408 Posts

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You realise your post in that thread is pretty irrelevant to this yea?

And you completely missed the point back then anyway. My point THEN was wondering why there are different cancer associations and why there isn't just one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's funny when the machists take off their mask, the patriarchal society is the most dangerous thing of the world.

·
Banned
9,032 Posts
Men who are not chivalrous are mostly considered bad by both the majority of women AND men.

Equality? What are you talking about lad?

·
#63notout
4,196 Posts
Someone should make a movember thread so we can all post our progress the mo's :hb

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's funny when the machists take off their mask, the patriarchal society is the most dangerous thing of the world.
You what.

I'm just comparing how much awareness a cancer that is considered woman only (when it isn't) gets in comparison to both a much more deadly cancer and a cancer statistically similarly deadly, but legitimately male only.

Someone should make a movember thread so we can all post our progress the mo's :hb
Get on it :cesaro

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
i think the consumers have good intentions, but the whole "pink" thing is sadly just another way for companies to make a buck while looking like they care. it's gotten to the point of being nothing more than a sales gimmick and well-intentioned people think that their money is going to help cure the disease (which, in many cases, it's not... it's just for "awareness").

here's an article i liked:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leisha-davisonyasol/october-pinkwashing_b_4102424.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
You realise your post in that thread is pretty irrelevant to this yea?

And you completely missed the point back then anyway. My point THEN was wondering why there are different cancer associations and why there isn't just one.
Did i say it applied to this thread?

If you were wondering that then i really think your teachers have failed. Quite badly.

Saying that breast cancer 'isn't as deadly' as bowel cancer is ridiculous as well. It is due to the awareness, funding and early diagnosis, and treatment of the disease that the mortality figures have decreased around 30-35% since 1990. The mortality rate for breast cancer is on the decrease due to the measures in place, not because it is a less deadly cancer than bowel or prostate. Additionally surely you know that if you spot blood in your stool then you should see a doctor as that is a sign of colorectal/bowel cancer, and surely you should be aware of the fact that men should get a prostate screening every year after the age of 50, or 40 if you have a family history of the disease.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did i say it applied to this thread?

If you were wondering that then i really think your teachers have failed. Quite badly.
I don't get your constant condescending posting :lol.

Not to mention, you're often on my back about how I must be stupid or something because I dislike the education system in my state (which you proved to know nothing about) and said something like I shouldn't blame my schooling, teachers or education for [my] 'failures'.

But now you're stating my teachers have failed for something they don't even teach in school?

:kobe

Saying that breast cancer 'isn't as deadly' as bowel cancer is ridiculous as well. It is due to the awareness, funding and early diagnosis, and treatment of the disease that the mortality figures have decreased around 30-35% since 1990. The mortality rate for breast cancer is on the decrease due to the measures in place, not because it is a less deadly cancer than bowel or prostate. Additionally surely you know that if you spot blood in your stool then you should see a doctor as that is a sign of colorectal/bowel cancer, and surely you should be aware of the fact that men should get a prostate screening every year after the age of 50, or 40 if you have a family history of the disease.
I understand that, but considering the mortality rate has dropped substantially throughout the years due to awareness, don't you think it's silly that other cancers haven't had anywhere near as much of the exposure that breast cancer has had?

BKB made a decent point about Movember though. I know it's a pretty big thing here, but I rarely hear about it outside of Australia now that I think about it. I've heard a few mentions on English TV - but nothing, or nearly nothing American.

It's simply fact that breast cancer awareness is substantially higher than everything else - and a few posters have explained something that admittedly went over my head; it's chivalrous and it's, in a business sense, smart for a corporation or organisation to advertise breast cancer awareness over other things for multiple reasons, like peoples undeniable and un-hide-able love for their mothers, grandmothers, etc; the 'empowerment of women', and dicks and assholes aren't really things people want to talk about on national TV, or on billboards.

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
I don't get your constant condescending posting :lol.

Not to mention, you're often on my back about how I must be stupid or something because I dislike the education system in my state (which you proved to know nothing about) and said something like I shouldn't blame my schooling, teachers or education for [my] 'failures'.

But now you're stating my teachers have failed for something they don't even teach in school?

:kobe
:hayden3

Can't blame your teachers for everything like you want to, can blame them for some things.

I understand that, but considering the mortality rate has dropped substantially throughout the years due to awareness, don't you think it's silly that other cancers haven't had anywhere near as much of the exposure that breast cancer has had?

BKB made a decent point about Movember though. I know it's a pretty big thing here, but I rarely hear about it outside of Australia now that I think about it. I've heard a few mentions on English TV - but nothing, or nearly nothing American.

It's simply fact that breast cancer awareness is substantially higher than everything else - and a few posters have explained something that admittedly went over my head; it's chivalrous and it's, in a business sense, smart for a corporation or organisation to advertise breast cancer awareness over other things for multiple reasons, like peoples undeniable and un-hide-able love for their mothers, grandmothers, etc; the 'empowerment of women', and dicks and assholes aren't really things people want to talk about on national TV, or on billboards.
Breast cancer is a common, easily detectable cancer. It has affected a number of high profile people, and as a result will gain that mainstream awareness. Thats not to say that the other cancers get none as that is blatently ridiculous. Its is far easier for the layperson to check for lumps on their breasts, or testes than to find out whether you have prostate cancer which requires a visit to the doctor which is something many men avoid. A lot of the current awareness for prostate cancer is to break down the stigma of going to get a check up at the doctors and having your prostate examined.

Why would you hear anything particularly American when you live here in Australia?

ftr Movember has grown (what a pun) in a number of countries worldwide. Here's something American about Movember for you.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
To answer the topic question. Breast cancer is more common than any other cancer. With so many people getting it will always be the most publicized type of cancer. Unless some other type of cancer becomes more common.

Here is a list of the most common cancers in people age 15-40, breast cancer is at the top. Its not more important than the others, but way more common is all.

Breast Cancer
Thyroid
Melanoma (Skin Cancer)
Lymphoma
Germ Cell Tumor (Testicular, Ovarian)
Cervical
Colorectal
Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Central Nervous System
Leukemia

http://15-40.org/detect_it_early/common_cancers/?gclid=CNGr-O2QrboCFURp7AodZGkAsg#0

·
Banned
8,732 Posts
I think the reason breast cancer awareness is pushed so much more than prostate cancer and other cancer awareness is that it can be picked up more from self checks. So I guess the idea is that if people were less aware of breast cancer, then perhaps more people would die through not getting lumps checked, etc.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I think men just naturally feel like we have to protect women. Men are supposed to be strong and not need "help" in terms of support groups or shit like that and don't feel as comfortable receiving the same sort of attention that is given during october for women. Clearly those are just "stereotypes" that have been around a long time but still.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts